Windows 11 showing up on 7th Gen

Hello friends,

I am running a Windows 10 on my 7th Gen Lenovo Yoga.

Since the launch of Windows 11, my PC checkup said it is not compatible with Windows 11.

However, woke up today to see Windows Update showing that Windows 11 is ready for Download and Install.

I haven’t done this, lest this is by error from Microsoft side.

I am here to learn if anyone else got the same message today? Or Microsoft has removed the restriction of processors older than 8th Gen?

Conversation 7 comments

• Paul Thurrott

Premium Member
    08 June, 2022 - 9:06 am

<p>You are not alone: </p><p><br></p><p>https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows11/comments/v798je/my_6700k_desktop_gtx_1080_32gb_ram_became/</p><p><br></p><p>I suspect this is a mistake on Microsoft’s part.</p>

• Maverick010

08 June, 2022 - 2:53 pm

<p>Unfortunately definitely was a mistake as Microsoft finally responded and is investigating the issue. Too good to be true as far as expanding CPU options…</p>

• irfaanwahid

09 June, 2022 - 3:48 am

<p>I took the plunge reluctantly and upgraded my W10 to 11 and so far it’s running fine.</p><p>Only Windows Insiders Program under Settings do I get a message that this is a incompatible machine. Not sure what the impact will be going forward.</p><p>So far, enjoying 22H2.</p>

• lwetzel

Premium Member
          09 June, 2022 - 11:22 am

<p>Been running it on my Surface Pro 4 since it was released and HP Elitebook 8470p from the first insider version to the current insider version (BETA). No problems I’ve seen.</p>

• dftf

09 June, 2022 - 3:44 pm

<p><strong>"It’s a trap!" </strong>;)</p>

• Alastair Cooper

11 June, 2022 - 3:26 am

<p>It runs fine for me on an i5 7300HQ laptop that meets all the other requirements.</p>

• epguy40

13 June, 2022 - 3:57 pm

<p>a windows update detection bug on Microsoft’s part that got resolved almost a day or two later.</p><p>Microsoft has re-instated the windows update restriction for 7th gen Intel &amp; older CPUs and will not offer Windows 11 to those systems anymore</p>

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC