Windows 11 – The Most Perplexing and Bizarre Release of Windows

Windows 11, is the most truly bizarre and perplexing version of Windows to date! It is the first version, Microsoft doesn’t want anyone to have. Both consumers and Enterprise.

Microsoft kneecapped their initial install base, by imposing completely phony hardware requirements. People have in fact been able to install it on PCs with 2nd Gen Processors without TPM or secure boot.

Microsoft still has time to fix this debacle right now! Fix the hardware requirements and allow most any to have it. Sure, if they let anyone install it, even Core 2 Duos, they’ll have to continue supporting it- So what? Microsoft is a multi-billion dollar company, that generates it’s revenue from business, and other departments.

Getting everyone onto one version of Windows was Microsoft’s original goal. That goal has just been exploded completely. Now, Windows actually makes computing less safe, with two versions of Windows, Microsoft needlessly created.

Windows 10 PCs, could very well become zombie PCs in 2025, directly because of Windows 11. With the chip shortage, buying a brand new PC in a year or two from now is not a good option for most!

Conversation 18 comments

• greatrexmark

04 October, 2021 - 10:46 am

<p>Theres a lot i would like to write about windows 11 here but i"ll try and sum it up as best i can. For me i have always been in the habit/cycle of upgrading/replacing any pcs ive had when i can afford them r feel like i need something more powerful/up to date. I want to have the new thing and want to be an enhusiast so i’d love to go to windows 11 if i could with my current pcs. But the two pcs that i have now wont be supported with windows 11. (I honestly didnt think they would still be running the’ve been so reliable) so i guess for me its a question of what will i do? So im going to try something ive never done. Im going to try and run linux as my main system (have been dual booting for a while) and use windows 10 in a vm at least while its supported. Might be able to get a new pc before the end of windows 10 support. I dont think windows 10 will be the last version i use. (I still have some itunes purchases i want access to somehow, and some games i want to play) but windows 11 has made me re-evaluate what and how i use my pcs. Would love to know others experiences/decisions on upgrading/buying a new pc… thanks for reading!</p>

• greatrexmark

04 October, 2021 - 10:54 am

<p>Was also mean to say POLLOLOCO51 what will you do? What pcs do you have?</p>

• polloloco51

04 October, 2021 - 11:18 am

<p>My main machine is a Dell XPS 8939 with a i7-8700, and laptop a 2018 Razer Blade 15, with a i7-8750H. Both are at the minimum processor gen requirements.</p><p><br></p><p> I likely won’t update to Windows 11 for a long while. At least, not until everything is fully ironed out and smoothed. </p><p><br></p><p>There is very little reason to upgrade too. The refreshed UI is certainly not a good reason right now. </p><p><br></p><p><br></p><p><br></p><p><br></p><p><br></p><p><br></p><p><br></p><p><br></p>

• greatrexmark

06 October, 2021 - 6:52 am

<p>Had to add one more reply. The way i feel about windows at the moment is it doesnt excite me as much as it used to, and give me new things. Ive always loved tinkering and getting squeezing every bit of performance out of it, but to me it seems increasing bloated and locked down. (Which is probably a good thing for the majority of users) . I need to play with windows 11 to find out what its like, but its probably just the way things are going, its a mature platform and people expect it just to work. (But for me some of that investigating problems and tweaking is where the fun and learning is.)</p>

• wright_is

Premium Member
      04 October, 2021 - 1:11 pm

<p>I already switched to Linux. It is only the photo management and editing tools that I am missing, so far. I am trying Darktable, but it isn’t really on a par with CaptureOne. The same with the editing.</p>

• greatrexmark

04 October, 2021 - 1:50 pm

<p>What linux did you switch to? ive tried to find applications i can use on linux to replace my windows ones. Almost got them all except itunes, havent decided on a replacement for office yet, or might use it online. </p><p><br></p><p>Will keep a copy of windows if i need to run a game or program i cant make run on linux. </p>

• hrlngrv

Premium Member
          04 October, 2021 - 7:58 pm

<p>Re Office, maybe most of it can be replaced well enough by the online apps. Excel can’t unless you use such a limited set of Excel features that any online spreadsheet (I’d argue Zoho’s is better; Google Sheets would be better for those who use FILTER, SORT and UNIQUE a lot and can live with named <strong>ranges</strong> only) would work for you. Excel under macOS sucks in comparison to Excel under Windows. If you use a broad range or Excel features, there’s no alternative.</p><p><br></p><p>LibreOffice Calc lacks spilled formulas and Windows Excel’s PowerQuery/Power BI functionality. OTOH, in fairness, LO Calc has an option to use actual regular expressions in functions and Find/Replace, and the worksheet portion of 3D references can be relative or absolute. One place the Excel developer team has been deliberately asleep since IBM killed off Lotus 1-2-3 is in 3D functionality in Excel, though, FWIW, Google Sheets is even worse.</p>

• wright_is

Premium Member
          05 October, 2021 - 5:52 am

<p>I went with openSUSE Tumbleweed. I was a tester for SUSE back in the 2000s.</p><p><br></p><p>I use Amarok for music playback. LibreOffice is also the default office on most Linux distributions, if you don’t need advanced Excel features or to regularly exchange documents with MS Office users, it is more than good enough.</p>

• greatrexmark

05 October, 2021 - 12:54 pm

<p>Have never tried opensuse. I’ve just installed garuda dragonized gaming and liking it. Its the first linux i’ve used where i felt like i didnt want to distro hop for a while and stay to see what it can do, and everything pretty much worked straighaway. Not that i didnt like other distros but ive struggled with some more than others (but i have fairly low needs (some basic spreadsheets and documents, photo editing, movies, tv and games. i guess it was the gaming extras that got me hooked. As for windows 11, i"ll be watching what happens….</p>

• erichk

Premium Member
    04 October, 2021 - 11:45 am

<p>Tomorrow’s the big day, and if I’m offered the upgrade right away, I’m not sure what I’ll do.</p><p><br></p><p>Part of me is very curious — I haven’t even been messing around with the beta, I only know what I know about 11 because of media coverage.</p><p><br></p><p>But I also feel like I should wait until the dust settles.</p><p><br></p><p>What to do, what to do.</p>

• scoop

04 October, 2021 - 1:09 pm

<p>I plan to stay with Win 10 for now, on my one PC that meets Win 11 specs. I tried 11 in the beta channel for a few weeks. Interesting, with some stuff I liked such as a more cohesive and comprehensible Settings menu. The ‘feel’ of the UI is cohesive and for the most part pleasant. But I do not understand the changes to Start and especially the taskbar. Some might be over-reacting to that, but it is puzzling. In that area, 10 is better. Will move to 11 no later than when Android app support happens. But feel no urge to rush there now.</p>

• erichk

Premium Member
        05 October, 2021 - 12:52 pm

<p>Yeah, I’m afraid I might miss some of the "power user" stuff, but like Paul says, since I’m on this site I already qualify for knowing how to get around those things. I think it’s quite likely that Microsoft will bring back some of the things they took out, just like they brought back the Start button after swearing in Windows 8 that it was gone for good.</p>

• jimchamplin

Premium Member
    04 October, 2021 - 12:45 pm

<p>The issue of support is likely quite simple. Windows 10 and 11 are incredibly similar, with most of the differences being UI and seemingly some optimizations for newer CPUs.</p><p><br></p><p>It’s clear that individual features are no longer tied to the underlying system, allowing for such small and fast updates via cumulative packages.</p><p><br></p><p>Therefore they’re supporting practically one product differentiated by a feature and “experience” pack. There’s really nothing that 11 will do that 10 can’t, at least for now. Sure that might change going forward but that’s doubtful. As it is, the same software can run on 7 through 11.</p>

• Burloak

04 October, 2021 - 4:30 pm

<p>Buttery Smooth on my Surface Pro 4.</p><p>Used Paul’s tip from last weeks Windows Weekly and installed 22000.194 on 10/1 via the ISO.</p>

• Burloak

04 October, 2021 - 4:33 pm

<p>and BTY one of the fast ones lol. Intel(R) Core(TM) m3-6Y30 CPU @ 0.90GHz&nbsp;&nbsp;1.51 GHz</p>

• ringofvoid

06 October, 2021 - 3:37 pm

<p>After 30 years, does this version fix the problem of windows opening off screen &amp; having to use the move command to get them back onscreen?</p>

• winner

06 October, 2021 - 4:02 pm

<p>I suspect the Win11 chronology will go a bit like this:</p><p>1 – W11 launches with restrictions on hardware</p><p>2 – After slower than desired uptake, MS will relax HW requirements to increase usage</p><p>3 – As MS still fails to "hit their numbers", they’ll get increasingly aggressive in trying to get W10 users to upgrade. Hopefully no more coercion like changing the dialog box default behavior like when they tricked upgraders to W10.</p><p>4 – After four years they will hit their two year "numbers target".</p>

• Ripcain

06 October, 2021 - 11:29 pm

<p>Been following the TWIT podcast and trying to determine what I think. In my case, I’ll be one of the owners of a TPM version slapped machine without a new Christmas present (budget) to replace it in the near future. I’m sure I’ll get dragged into it eventually, buy Paul’s helpful new book, and start over once again onto the MS-Keynesian cycle.</p><p><br></p><p>Windows 3.11 Pretty DOS</p><p>Windows 95 Yea!</p><p>Windows 98 Boo!</p><p>Windows 2000 Ok, functional</p><p>Windows Me Ah! Ah! AHHHHHH!</p><p>Windows XP Crashes, security holes, but I’m not suicidal</p><p>Windows Vista Software not following massive lockdown</p><p>Windows 7 Yea!</p><p>Windows 8 Pretty, but Fail</p><p>Windows 10 Meh, but they keep screwing with it. At least I don’t have to upgra….</p><p>Windows 11 Pretty, but useless</p><p> </p>

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC