Windows 7 – Problem with Windows Update

I have a rather ancient HP desktop which I upgraded two years ago from Vista to Windows 7. I check every month to see if the patch Tuesday updates have been processed and noticed mid-Decemeber that there seemed to be a severe problem with Windows Update. It took ages to start and when it finally appeared, there was just a big red “X” It would not manually allow me to check for updates, and the usual fix (making sure the necessary services were running) did not help. I was forced to rename the c:\windows\softwaredistribution directory, after which Windows Update ran correctly and found and installed three updates.

My question is this. I realized that Windows Update had not processed the December patches as I regularly check to be sure everything is OK, but a non-technical user would from this point have a system without any new security updates. Is it not damgerous for Microsoft to have a critical service such as Windows Update that can so easily stop running?

Comments (3)

3 responses to “Windows 7 – Problem with Windows Update”

1. mk123

yeah sometimes its error now window 10 has many bugs

Free Netflix Accounts 2018

2. seapea

Users at work have figured out that they can try to secondary link on the update notification page if they get the red X error message saying updates could not be run.

3. epguy40

sometimes it's a windows update server error or some stuff corrupted in that windowssoftwaredistribution folder and that folders contents needs to be cleared to get things going again. so I've had that problem a few times on my Win7 machines.

Leave a Reply