winget 1.0

I heard that winget is out of beta, 1.0 is GA and should be rolling out to everyone eventually.

So I installed winget and the first thing I tried was installing Microsoft Teams. It didn’t work! ? am I doing something wrong?

Conversation 4 comments

• arnstarr

31 May, 2021 - 10:20 am

<p>It probably installed the machine wide version. Now you need to sign out and in again to see the Teams icon.</p>

• dftf

31 May, 2021 - 6:51 pm

<p>Remember that some apps install on a <em>per-user </em>basis, and some install on a <em>per-OS </em>basis; for the latter (apps that install globally, so every user can access them) you must run <em>winget </em>"as administrator" or installs will error or silently fail.</p><p><br></p><p>That shortcoming is apparently being worked-on…</p>

• hrlngrv

Premium Member
      01 June, 2021 - 11:16 pm

<p>Tangent: <strong><em>no</em></strong> software run with Administrator privileges should fail quietly unless the admin user included a <em>quiet</em> switch in the command line.</p>

• Alastair Cooper

02 June, 2021 - 11:44 am

<p>This is an extremely useful utility for working as administrator on the Windows CLI:</p><p><br></p><p>https://github.com/gerardog/gsudo</p><p><br></p><p>It adds a sudo command similar to that on Unix/Linux type systems so you can elevate just that process rather than have to start a separate elevated terminal.</p><p><br></p>

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC