Intel Extends Warranty for its 13th and 14th Gen Desktop CPUs By Two Years

Intel 14th Gen Core CPU

Intel recently acknowledged instability issues in some of its 13th/14th Gen desktop processors. The chip maker previously said that it would issue microcode updates to mititage the issue caused by what the company described as “elevated operating voltage.” Moreover, Intel said that all CPUs that experienced internal damage due to the elevated voltage would be replaced for free.

While Intel isn’t the first and only chip maker to ship CPUs with various issues, the company intends to make things right for consumers. Speaking with The Verge, company’s spokesperson said yesterday that affected CPUs will get two additional years of warranty in addition to their three-year limited warranty.

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

Sign up for our new free newsletter to get three time-saving tips each Friday — and get free copies of Paul Thurrott's Windows 11 and Windows 10 Field Guides (normally $9.99) as a special welcome gift!

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

“Intel is committed to making sure all customers who have or are currently experiencing instability symptoms on their 13th and / or 14th Gen desktop processors are supported in the exchange process. “We stand behind our products, and in the coming days we will be sharing more details on two-year extended warranty support for our boxed Intel Core 13th and 14th Gen desktop processors,” Intel said in the statement shared with The Verge.

Even though Intel appears to be taking full responsibility for these recent desktop CPU problems, the company may well be facing a class-action lawsuit. Tom’s Hardware is reporting that the Abington Cole + Ellery law firm has started investigating the situation, and it may eventually file a class action lawsuit regarding these Intel Core 13th/14th Generation processor instability issues.

Overall, this hasn’t been a very good week for Intel, with the company reporting disappointing results for the second quarter of 2024. The situation is apparently so alarming that Intel is now planning to lay off 15,000 employees as part of a massive cust-cutting program. This represents no less than 15% of the company’s workforce.

Tagged with

Share post

Please check our Community Guidelines before commenting

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

Sign up for our new free newsletter to get three time-saving tips each Friday

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC