It has been a long time coming but Microsoft is pushing out a firmware update today for the Surface Book and Pro 4 that finally squashes the sleep issue. The bug, which has been present since the device launched, has been a sore spot for the hardware and resulted in a sour experience for early adopters.
The update, which is out now, will take a few minutes to install, so make sure to save your work and sit back and relax as your machine updates. If you had used the work-around to set your machine to hibernate instead of sleep, you will want to revert those settings now.
Here is what has been fixed for the Surfaces:
The following update will be delivered as multiple updates when you view your update history:
- System Hardware Update – 2/17/2016
- Microsoft driver update for Surface UEFI
- Microsoft driver update for Surface Management Engine
- Microsoft driver update for Surface System Aggregator Firmware
- Surface Management Engine update (v22.214.171.1242) improves system stability.
- Surface System Aggregator Firmware update (v88.1081.257.0) improves accuracy of battery status and battery life during sleep.
- Surface UEFI update (v104.1085.768.0) improves battery life and improves stability during power state transition changes into and out of sleep states.
- Intel® Precise Touch Device driver update (v126.96.36.199) improves stability during power state transition changes into and out of sleep states.
- Intel® HD Graphics 520 driver update (v188.8.131.5264) improves display stability, system stability and battery life.
- Intel® Display Audio driver update (v184.108.40.2065) supports compatibility with the updated graphics driver.
- Realtek High Definition Audio(SST) driver update (v220.127.116.1134) improves system stability.
- Intel® Smart Sound Technology (Intel® SST) Audio Controller driver update (v18.104.22.1686) improves system stability.
- Intel® Smart Sound Technology (Intel® SST) OED driver update (v22.214.171.1246) improves system stability.
- Intel® Management Engine Interface driver update (v126.96.36.1996) improves system stability.
- Intel® Serial IO GPIO Host Controller driver update (v30.63.1603.5) improves auto rotation reliability when tablet mode is turned off.
- Intel® Serial IO I2C Host Controller driver update (v30.63.1603.5) improves auto rotation reliability when tablet mode is turned off.
- Surface Book Base Firmware driver update (v188.8.131.52) improves battery life during sleep.
The update is rolling out in stages, if you don’t see it yet, it will arrive soon. Also, the update will be installed in several phases, several restarts will be required.
For those of you who have a Surface Pro 3 that have had similar issues, there is no announcement today regarding that problem.
You can read the announcement post, here.