Don’t be fooled by the version number: This release fixes several major bugs in the original shipping version of iOS 12.
“iOS 12.0.1 includes bug fixes and improvements for your iPhone or iPad,” the release notes blandly explain.
Among the fixes:
- Fixes an issue where some iPhone XS devices did not immediately charge when connected to a Lightning cable
- Resolves an issue that could cause iPhone XS devices to rejoin a Wi-Fi network at 2.4GHz instead of 5GHz
- Restores the original position of the “.?123” key on the iPad keyboard
- Fixes an issue where subtitles may not appear in some video apps
- Addresses an issue where Bluetooth could become unavailable
- Security fixes
Those first two fixes are particularly necessary: There were widespread reports of both from iPhone XS users, though I can’t say that I experienced either.