It’s Patch Tuesday, so the shipping, non-Insider versions of Windows 10 for PCs and Windows 10 Mobile were both updated to build 10586.420. Neither sports any major new features, of course, but both include some improvements.
Here’s what’s new.
Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox
Sign up for our new free newsletter to get three time-saving tips each Friday — and get free copies of Paul Thurrott's Windows 11 and Windows 10 Field Guides (normally $9.99) as a special welcome gift!
"*" indicates required fields
KB3163018 (OS Build 10586.420) includes quality improvements and security fixes. No new operating system features are being introduced in this update.
Key changes include:
- Improved reliability. Internet Explorer 11, Microsoft Edge, Cortana, audio playback, audio playback in Groove Music app, Maps app, Miracast, and Windows Explorer are all more reliable.
- Balloon tip notifications no longer always appear in the upper left side of the screen.
- VPN now works properly when switching between different network interfaces (for example, switching between Wi-Fi and cellular).
- Narrator improved to read bulleted lists, hyperlinks, and image information better.
- Location services fixed so that navigation apps can keep up with a user’s actual location.
- Internet Explorer 11 performance is improved when loading web pages with roaming user profiles.
- Additional issues fixed with Microsoft Edge, Internet Explorer 11, Bluetooth, Cortana, Wi-Fi, Windows Camera app, revised daylight saving time, USB, TPM, Graphics, Group Policy, downloading music or movies purchased through the Windows Store, Network Diagnostics and Windows Explorer.
- Security issues fixed with Internet Explorer 11, Microsoft Edge, Server Message Block (SMB) Server, Microsoft Graphics Component, Group Policy, DNS Server, Windows Diagnostic Hub, Kernel mode drivers, Microsoft Windows PDF, Windows Structured Query, Adobe Flash Player, JScript and VBScript, and Web Proxy Autodiscovery Protocol (WPAD).
Windows 10 Mobile
The June cumulative update (10.0.10586.420) for Windows 10 Mobileis rolling out today. Key improvements in this release include:
- General improvements. Microsoft made improvements to reliability, performance and stability.
- Cortana. Cortana was improved with a fix for a problem that sometimes resulted in a crash when performing a search, and corrections to inaccurate times after Daylight Savings Time (DST) on meeting cards and reminders.
- Battery drain fix. This fixes a problem that could result in unexpected battery drain while syncing mail using IMAP.
- Maps improvements. The Maps app includes better stability, improved accuracy, and reduced latency with driving directions.
- Messaging offers improved reliability when syncing text messages from the phone to the cloud.
- Power down. The amount of time it takes some phones to completely power off after “Goodbye” disappears has been reduced.
- Re-add a Microsoft account after an upgrade. Some phones were unable to re-add a primary Microsoft account without resetting after upgrading from Windows Phone 8.1.
- Install keyboard and languages after an upgrade. Some phones were unable to install keyboard and languages without resetting after upgrading from Windows Phone 8.1.
- Update schedule. The number of days a phone can go without restarting to receive an update has been reduced from 14 days to 7 days.
- Phone will keep ringing when interrupted by an SMS.
- Project My Screen fixed. It would stop working on some phones.