Apple revealed the list of the best apps and games of 2019 on the App Store last night. The company held a small event to showcase these apps and games, but mainly the developers behind these products.
The company revealed its own selections for the best apps/games for the iPhone, iPad, and Mac. It also revealed the top apps and games on the App Store.
On the iPhone, Spectre Camera was the best app of the year. “This AI-powered app leverages a dizzying amount of tech to let anyone take stunning long-exposure photos,” said Apple. The company’s newest iPhones focus mainly on the camera as well, so a camera app winning the best app of 2019 makes sense.
On the iPad, Flow by Moleskine won the best app of the year, offering an “elegant digital notebook” experience for iPad owners. Here’s the full list:
- iPhone App of the Year: Spectre Camera (Lux Optics)
- iPad App of the Year: Flow by Moleskine (Moleskine)
- Mac App of the Year: Affinity Publisher (Serif Labs)
- Apple TV App of the Year: The Explorers (The Explorers Network)
- iPhone Game of the Year: “Sky: Children of the Light” (thatgamecompany)
- iPad Game of the Year: “Hyper Light Drifter” (Abylight S.L.)
- Mac Game of the Year: “GRIS” (Devolver / Nomada Studio)
- Apple TV Game of the Year: “Wonder Boy: The Dragon’s Trap” (DotEmu)
- Apple Arcade Game of the Year: “Sayonara Wild Hearts” (Simogo)
Apple also released the list of top apps and games on iPhone and iPad. The social network apps were obviously leading the top free iPhone apps list (with YouTube, Instagram, Snapchat, and TikTok leading the list), while some video streaming services took the top spots on the top free iPad apps list. YouTube, Netflix, and Amazon Prime Video were the top free iPad apps, for example. On the games side, however, Microsoft’s Minecraft took the first place for the top paid iPhone and iPad game.