Almost bought a refurbished 2017 MacBook Air

Funny how things work out.

So I *did* order a refurbished 2017 MacBook Air … but fate entered the equation. The shipment was delayed, and when I realized how much better the 2018 MacBook Air seemed to be based on online videos and articles, I canceled the original order and ordered the new one.

Typing on it now. My first Apple laptop (I’ve owned Mac minis before and a circa 2003 iMac).

And what can I say? The thing is bloody amazing, in my humble opinion. I upgraded from an Asus Transformer Book 2-in-1 that I bought about three and a half years ago, which I finally decided was a bit too sluggish and a bit too small.

I ran the Octane benchmark, and it’s pleasing to me that the results were only slightly below my Core i5 4690K gaming rig. I’d say that’s good for a very thin and light laptop.

So nice to have some macOS in my life again, as this will be used for portable desktop computing. This is two home runs in a row for me, my most other recent one being a refurbished 2017 iPad.

But … my main tower at home running Windows 10 is still going to be my heavy lifter. Heavier gaming, content production, programming. Still, I want to port what I can to the Mac using my cross-platform tools and use things like GarageBand again, which I’ve missed. I’ve got MS Office on here, all my cloud storage accounts, my favorite browsers, e-mail set up, Todoist, LastPass, etc.

What a world we live in now, where you can sip from the cup of the best the different platforms offer and make it all work together.

Thank you for reading. Other happy MacBook owners please chime in. 🙂