Is it OK to buy Iphone 7 or Iphone 8 in year 2019??

I’m using Apple Iphone 6 & now wan to switch to some other Iphone but the latest ones Iphone X are out of my budget. So, is it ok to buy Iphone 7 or 8 in year 2019?? Aren’t they gonna be outdated?? Please suggest!!!

Conversation 31 comments

• Tony Barrett

17 December, 2018 - 6:10 am

<p>Maybe you should just open your eyes and look around at ALL the options you have – and not just iPhone. There are some amazing non-Apple handsets out there at far better prices with better features. It amazes me that some people just cannot see beyond the iPhone.</p>

• Paul Thurrott

Premium Member
      17 December, 2018 - 9:11 am

<blockquote><em><a href="#383558">In reply to ghostrider:</a></em></blockquote><p>Making assumptions like this is not in any way helpful. He has an iPhone and he likes it. That's fine. </p>

• wright_is

Premium Member
        18 December, 2018 - 12:45 am

<blockquote><em><a href="#383567">In reply to paul-thurrott:</a></em></blockquote><p>Sorry Paul, but he didn't say don't buy iPhone, he just said look around at what is on offer, don't just blindly buy an iPhone because that is what the old handset was.</p><p>Maybe the OP will look and say, "no, not for me, I'll stick with the iPhone," but it is still a valid point, if the OPs main point is that new iPhones are too expensive.</p><p>Over here, the Galaxy S9, for example, can be had for 500€ ($567), the iPhone XR starts at 850€ ($964), the XS 1150€ ($1304) and the XS Max at 1250€ ($1417), in each case, that is the 64GB version. The iPhone 8 is "only" 679€ ($770). (All unsubsidized prices for buying the phone outright, without a contract.)</p><p>That makes a high-end Android smartphone nearly 25% cheaper than a year old iPhone, 60% the price of the "budget" iPhone XR and 40 – 43% the price of the high end iPhone XS (max). That is a huge price difference to take into consideration, when buying a new phone, whether you go with an iPhone or not in the end, having a look around at the competition is a sensible thing to do, then you can better judge, whether you are getting a good deal or not.</p>

• jimchamplin

Premium Member
          18 December, 2018 - 10:26 am

<blockquote><em><a href="#383769">In reply to wright_is:</a></em></blockquote><p>They're both right, but I think Paul is moreso. Can OP find good deals on other phones? Say, Moto or OnePlus? Sure!</p><p><br></p><p>Then repurchase all of the software, possibly have to change subscriptions, transfer data from iCloud to Google Drive and Photos, perhaps have to cancel iCloud and pick up a Google Drive subscription. <em>Et cetera, et cetera, et cetera</em>.</p>

• wright_is

Premium Member
            18 December, 2018 - 12:16 pm

<blockquote><em><a href="#383876">In reply to jimchamplin:</a></em></blockquote><p>Been there, done that. Windows Mobile to iPhone to Windows Phone 7 to Android to Windows Phone 8 to Windows Mobile 10 to Android. With an iPhone for test purposes every now and then. </p>

• joeaxberg

Premium Member
          18 December, 2018 - 9:13 pm

<blockquote><em><a href="#383769">In reply to wright_is:</a></em></blockquote><p><br></p><p>The OP said "Maybe you should just open your eyes" and "It amazes me that some people just cannot see beyond the iPhone." </p><p><br></p><p>Why make snarky comments like that? That's helpful? You implied the OP was "blindly" going to buy an iPhone.</p><p><br></p><p>Another approach might be, oh I dunno, how about: "Have you considered an Android phone since you mentioned price being a concern?" </p><p><br></p><p>I agree with Paul. Snarky Apple-hater comments like the OP's are not useful. How do you know that the OP hasn't already looked at Android?</p><p><br></p><p>I'm in the same position as the original poster. I too want to upgrade to a newer iPhone, but unsure I want to plunge into a XR/XS. I kinda like touch id too. I'm waiting for the right deal.</p><p><br></p><p>I can very easily see beyond the iPhone. The Android phones are right over there – one aisle over at Best Buy. They're easy to spot. But I don't care, even if they're giving away free beer with them…ok…certain scotches maybe, then I might care, but not beer… </p><p><br></p><p>Dude just wants a different iPhone. Jeezus.</p><p><br></p><p><br></p>

• wright_is

Premium Member
            19 December, 2018 - 3:39 am

<blockquote><em><a href="#384140">In reply to joeaxberg:</a></em></blockquote><p>I agree that the language could have been less inflamatory, but the general advice is still sound.</p><p>For me, ignoring the price issue, going back to iOS would be very difficult for 2 show-stopping reasons.</p><ol><li>I use a Yubikey Neo to unlock my LastPass safe. I just hold the NFC capable dongle to my phone and the safe is unlocked. That doesn't work on the iPhone, so I would be restricted to only using TouchID or facial recognition.</li><li>My banking apps use the NFC to make payments. I select the app and hold the phone to the terminal – as I have a private account and joint account, I can select from which account the funds are extracted. AFAIK, Apple still haven't released the NFC interface for banking apps, certainly the Sparkasse and Deutsche Bank apps only allow payment on Android and not on iOS in Germany.</li><li>Apple only released ApplePay in Germany a month or so back; it isn't widely supported and none of my bank accounts are supported by Apple.</li></ol><p>That doesn't mean that I don't keep looking at what the iPhone currently offers and whether it would be an alternative. I am not happy with Android, but I am even less impressed by the iPhone in its current form.</p>

• red.radar

Premium Member
      18 December, 2018 - 8:33 pm

<blockquote><em><a href="#383558">In reply to ghostrider:</a></em></blockquote><p>It depends on how invested into a platform the OP is in.</p><p><br></p><p>In todays day it is just not worth it to switch platforms. You could be rebuying, content, apps, accesories, speakers, watches, streaming devices, light switches, light bulbs, thermostats, tablets and even your car (hyperbolic yes, but illustrates the pervasiveness of platforms)….</p><p><br></p><p>When you add up the replacement cost of some or all of these items. Its just not worth the few bucks saved to jump platforms. It gets even worse for the slightly less technically inclined when you do make the decision and you have setup the new device. </p><p><br></p><p>The biggest anti-competivie issue our government needs to address is the effect of lock in from bundling and these platforms. Be it Android, IOS, Alexa or Windows. Paul is correct about being "apple jacked" The cost of the devices is only one part, the lock in that is sufficating natural turnover from people finding better solutions is the other. It really is our modern Anti-Competitive issue that should spawn policy similar to the Sherman Anti-Trust act that broke up the robber barons. </p><p><br></p><p><br></p>

• Daishi

Premium Member
    17 December, 2018 - 6:46 am

<p>Absolutely. It’s exactly what I’m going to do in six months when the 2 year lease plan for my 7 runs out and I have to give it back. I’ll be upgrading to an 8, saving a butt load of money, and seeing how long I can keep it alive.</p><p><br></p><p>When you talk about it being outdated, I guess it would depend how you mean. An iPhone 8 has the same internals as a X and frankly they have so much performance headroom at the moment that there really doesn’t seem like there is anyway they are going to be ‘too slow’ any time soon. So it’s really only a question of what features the XS has that you would miss out on. You wouldn’t have the new phone’s dual camera system, so maybe you could miss out on some new features they roll out that rely on that, and you won’t have the Face ID array, so might miss out on… animoji? If that counts as missing out…</p><p><br></p><p>Obviously I’m biased, because what you’re suggesting is what I plan on doing, so clearly I think you’re idea is genius. But honestly I don’t think you would be missing out on anything significant unless having all the latest camera features is something you couldn’t live without.</p>

• Polycrastinator

17 December, 2018 - 8:42 am

<p>It's fine. I'm still using a 6S as my iPhone (for work purposes I switch between iOS and Android although I prefer Android), and it's fine. I'd probably get an 8 so it's still getting software updates for longer, but either will work well today.</p>

• Paul Thurrott

Premium Member
    17 December, 2018 - 9:11 am

<p>It may be preferable. That technology is proven, and the Touch ID sensor is better/faster than Face ID. If you can swing it, I'd recommend iPhone 8 if only for a bit of performance-related future-proofing. I just bought a refurbished iPhone 7 and I bet it will be fine for the next few years.</p>

• North of 49th

Premium Member
    17 December, 2018 - 9:28 am

<p>Work gave me an iPhone 7 and it is fine for speed. I think for everyday apps (i.e. not graphic intensive games), the speed of an iPhone 7 and Xs are close enough as to be irrelevant. In some ways, this is similar to PC speeds now that most PCs have an SSD – for everyday apps, differences in x64 processors is not that noticeable.</p>

• jwpear

Premium Member
    17 December, 2018 - 10:01 am

<p>I am using an iPhone 8 right now, which I bought new to replace my iPhone 6. It performs great at one year of age and gets all day battery life (with 95% original capacity remaining). I chose it over the 10 because I wanted a mid-size phone, decent screen, decent camera, and I prefer Touch ID over face. In my opinion, Touch ID is so much more convenient and seems to be faster to use for Apple Pay than my wife's 10. I also love that it has wireless charging. I am using my Nokia wireless chargers, from my WP days, with it.</p><p><br></p><p>It's such a personal choice, but I would not hesitate to purchase the 8 again. I've had pretty good luck buying used phones on Swappa, including the iPhone 6 that I mentioned above. That's always a great option if you are looking to save some money, but still get a great device. Also look at Apple refurbished. </p>

• George Rae

17 December, 2018 - 10:14 am

<p>You don't say if you are buying new, used, carrier discounts, or refurbished. For me it would be hard to go back to touch ID after using face ID. It's so much more convenient allowing one hand operation with banking, password apps etc. Also depending on your carrier, there have been some band changes that will affect coverage and speeds, 8 has band 66, 7 doesn't, check that out. </p>

• F4IL

17 December, 2018 - 10:28 am

<p>Other than the battery wearing out i wouldn't worry too much. Any of the above (7 or 8) will be just fine for the foreseeable future.</p>

• Jeffery Commaroto

17 December, 2018 - 10:52 am

<p>Definitely. I love my iPhone 7 Plus and see no reason to upgrade. If I had to replace it because of damage I would probably get an 8.</p><p><br></p><p>For me the differences in screens at this point is imperceptible. The screen on the 7 is as high resolution as I need and when I compare I just don't see the difference personally. I know others do, that is great, I don't.</p><p><br></p><p>I love touch ID over Face ID and I really like having a dedicated home button. Other than some of the camera improvements on the higher end models I really don't see any major improvements worth the cost and I don't see any software taxing the chip I have. iOS is the same at this point on all of the devices. Unless you use some application taxing the specific high end specs I suspect you will be more than happy.</p>

• Bob Shutts

17 December, 2018 - 10:59 am

<p>I like my iPhone 7 because subsequent iPhones are a bit thicker and I prefer Touch ID. It should hold up for several more refresh cycles.</p>

• Lauren Glenn

17 December, 2018 - 12:36 pm

<p>To be honest, I don't think you have to worry as much as you think. Maybe you won't get the most recent iOS version if they decide to cut off the 7 or 8 by iOS 14 or so….. I dug out my old iPad 2 which is locked at iOS 9. You can still find apps for it including Pocket Casts and other good apps like this. It may be similar to Android where even though your phone doesn't get the most recent OS update, app providers tend to support the older OS's for years after deprecation by Google.</p><p><br></p><p>So all I'm saying is that you may get another year or two AFTER Apple decides to stop providing future updates. The thing that may drive you to a new one would probably be speed and new features before you have to concern yourself with this, I bet.</p><p><br></p><p>I would think in about a couple years or so, you can buy yourself an iPhone X (if you want one) and not spend a fortune on it. Then, you'll still have many years left to enjoy it.</p>

• windows user

17 December, 2018 - 9:34 pm

<p>I have an 8 Plus and think it's great! I like the fingerprint reader and the bezels at the bottom for holding it in landscape mode.</p><p>Other than not having the face scanner I'm not missing out on anything really. I think the 8 will get you iOS updates for a few years. The iOS 12 update went back to the 5s, 2013.</p><p><br></p><p>Plus you can probably get a really good deal on a 7 or 8 right now too!</p>

• waethorn

18 December, 2018 - 10:14 am

<p>Probably the newest model available since the support lifecycle will continue for a longer time for it over an older one. Once support ends, software updates also end, which means your data can be exposed due to security bugs.</p><p><br></p><p>Of course, it all depends on the relative price of each too. Do you want to spend more to hold onto the same model longer or pay less and have to replace it sooner?</p>

• silverpasco

15 January, 2019 - 5:42 pm

<blockquote><em><a href="#383867">In reply to Waethorn:</a></em></blockquote><p>I wish more people were aware of this issue, ie support lifecycles. Yet retailers are happy to sell us unsupported phones, I would like the laws to be changed so that potential customers are informed that the particular model is no longer supported by the manufacturer. Plus, as so much of our information is past onto the same manfucturers, they could offer a discount for a still supported model, for rewards in loyalty. </p>

• jimchamplin

Premium Member
    18 December, 2018 - 10:29 am

<p>I'm still sporting a 6S and it's fine. Apple tends to keep iOS support for their devices for a number of years. Five at least. You'll be good with either, but I'm with everyone on the idea that you should get the newest model that you can.</p>

• Alastair Cooper

18 December, 2018 - 12:50 pm

<p>Probably better to keep the iPhone 6 and wait/save to be able to afford something significantly better rather than switch for the sake of it.</p>

• wright_is

Premium Member
      19 December, 2018 - 3:28 am

<blockquote><em><a href="#383973">In reply to Alastair_Cooper:</a></em></blockquote><p>Probably the best advice so far, Alastair. And if the battery life isn't up to snuff, get the battery replaced, it is fairly cheap to do so.</p>

• yoshi

Premium Member
    18 December, 2018 - 1:40 pm

<p>I upgraded from the 8 Plus to the Max Xs. I love the Max, but miss Touch ID. And I don't notice any speed difference between the two phones. I think you'll be just fine with an 8 or the 7.</p>

• Tony Barrett

16 January, 2019 - 5:38 am

<blockquote><em><a href="#383986">In reply to yoshi:</a></em></blockquote><p>I think the term 'upgrade' between an 8Plus and Max Xs is a little over-stretched. There's sod all difference in day to day use – other than the extra money you're now paying. You won't use it any differently either. iOS is just iOS – plain and boring. Same as it was 5 years ago, with the same limitations. In fact, you're already saying you're MISSING features. Yep, Apple see one born every minute.</p>

• Bats

18 December, 2018 - 8:23 pm

<p>iPhones, by nature are outdated. Not only are they outdated, they're overrated. I am forced by work to carry an iPhone 7. This phone is not even worthy to be in the same pocket as my (wrongly maligned) Pixel 3 XL. It's not even close to the technological level to my Pixel 2 XL and Pixel XL. Why do people even like these phones? Siri is stupidly stupid. </p><p><br></p><p>I'm sorry it's a completely overrated phone. </p><p><br></p><p>FYI….My Nexus 6P is still going strong with all the latest version of today's popular apps. If my Nexus 6P is still going strong, than it stands to reason that the iPhone 7 should still be good. </p>

• Greg Green

19 December, 2018 - 9:10 am

<p>With monthly payments from Best Buy I’m getting a Verizon iPhone 7 for $380, much cheaper than the full purchase price of $450. </p><p><br></p><p>I guess i stumbled into a deal because they’re back to $18.75 a month, which is $450.</p><p><br></p><p>Just watch for deals or consider a used one from a trusted distributor.</p>

• BigM72

15 January, 2019 - 7:15 pm

<p>My sister had a 6 and just moved over to Pixel. Her phone was definitely slow and in need of an upgrade. I have had an iPhone 7 since launch and, with iOS 12, I find it plenty fast still. My main itch to switch to an XR is better battery life and always wanting the newest thing lol.</p><p><br></p><p>So I would buy either an iPhone 7 or an iPhone 8, depends on what prices you see for them. Unless Apple intentionally tries to jack up sales by slowing down older phones when iOS 13 comes out, I think the iPhone 7 will be a serviceable phone this year and next.</p>

• Bdsrev

28 January, 2019 - 1:26 pm

<p>the iPhone 8 is in my opinion, still the best smartphone in the world. Fingerprint-unlock is way better than face-unlock</p>

• minke

28 January, 2019 - 7:21 pm

<p>I would say yes based on my son sticking with his 7 when he could have any phone he wants. He hasn't found a compelling reason to upgrade to a more recent iPhone yet. Personally, the camera is usually my reason for upgrading, assuming the current phone is working. The 7 takes great photos, but I think my Pixel 2 is a bit better. I personally like the size of the 7 and wish there were more compelling phones in that size.</p>

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC