We Help Wednesday 11/29

Questions for the show? Drop them here.

Conversation 10 comments

• ilovemissy85

28 November, 2017 - 9:52 pm

<p>I was wondering if anyone else is having trouble downloading the latest Nvidia drivers on Windows 10. I have a Alienware 15R3 laptop only a month old and I tried to update my graphics driver and cannot get it to download. Now I can't play Star Wars Battlefront 2 no longer, this sucks. Do you have any clues what might be going on, or any thing I might try to get the latest Nvidia drivers to download. All I get is driver failed to install. Please help I need my Star Wars back. </p>

• seapea

29 November, 2017 - 1:17 am

<blockquote><a href="#222350"><em>In reply to ilovemissy85:</em></a></blockquote><p>You are not able to revert the driver to previous version via device manager?</p>

• KernelBSD

Premium Member
      29 November, 2017 - 5:47 am

<blockquote><a href="#222350"><em>In reply to ilovemissy85:</em></a></blockquote><p>I'm coming from the perspective of a long time desktop PC gamer, but I always get my video drivers directly from the chipset maker, Nvidia.com in this case, rather than waiting for the Microsoft provided one. Additionally, sometimes the latest driver won't play well with a particular game and I'll have to experiment with older versions, or beta drivers.</p>

• Peter klobčič

29 November, 2017 - 4:48 am

<p>is there a way to get invited into the office 365 insider program for the uwp apps, i have office 365 home subscription?</p>

• Shane

Premium Member
    29 November, 2017 - 6:13 am

<p>Improving wifi signal.</p><p><br></p><p>Ive looked into a little of trying to improve the wifi signal strength thru my home. Especially so it reaches outside better.</p><p><br></p><p>Was looking at a wifi repeater but read that even tho the distance that the signal obtainable is better the true strength weakens.</p><p><br></p><p>I'm sure Paul used the google stuff in his new home, and possibly you Brad. </p><p><br></p><p>Just trying to figure the best way to achieve greater distance of the signal, but not degrade the strength around my home.</p><p><br></p><p>Thanks guys.</p>

• Lewk

Premium Member
    29 November, 2017 - 8:34 am

<p>I never use the front facing camera on my phone. Even just a few short years ago you could buy a smart phone without a front facing camera. Would either of you buy a smart phone today, that was completely bezeless and without a front facing camera?</p>

• TravisGreuel

Premium Member
    29 November, 2017 - 10:24 am

<p>Has anyone been able to get the Harmon/Kardon Invoke to see GMail calendar? My Windows 10 calendar shows all my calendars, including GMail and Cortana reads them all to me if asked. With the Invoke, Cortana only reads Office365 calendar. I try to add Google as a "Connected Service" in Cortana notebook, but that option is not available. </p><p><br></p><p>Thoughts?</p>

• gregsedwards

Premium Member
      29 November, 2017 - 3:08 pm

<blockquote><a href="#222551"><em>In reply to TravisGreuel:</em></a></blockquote><p>That's going to be a current limitation of the Invoke, I'm afraid. The Outlook/Calendar App ingests your Gmail calendar because the app expressly supports that service, and that's what allows Cortana on the PC/mobile device to interact with it. The Invoke is limited to what Cortana can do through her connected services and/or skills, which as you mentioned, doesn't yet support Google services. Maybe down the road, but honestly, I wouldn't hold my breath.</p><p>You may be better off using a service like Flow or IFTTT to sync your Gmail calendar with your Outlook.com calendar on an event-by-event basis, which I would think Cortana could then handle easily.</p>

• gregsedwards

Premium Member
    29 November, 2017 - 1:24 pm

<p>If I'm not too late…</p><p><br></p><p>Anyone else having serious problems with Cortana not responding to voice commands on their HK Invoke? It happens to me at least once per day. She'll just stop responding to my voice. The touch usually still works, but even after several minutes of waiting for her to self-correct, the only option is just to pull the power cord and let the speaker reboot. Once it comes back online, it's fine for a while, until it happens again. It's becoming really annoying. My network is generally rock solid and I have lots of other devices that are communicating just fine when all this is happening. I have an Xbox One with Kinect on the other side of the room, and it pops up Cortana just fine. I've had the speaker in two different locations in my living room. </p><p><br></p><p>I happened to shoot a quick video showing the problem: <a style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0); background-color: transparent;" href="https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/935968647130034176&quot; target="_blank">https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/935968647130034176</a></p><p><br></p><p>So far, nothing has improved the situation. There's also just not a ton of useful information that I can see. It'd be nice if at least there was a log in the Cortana app that I could consult to see what kind of errors (if any) the speaker encountered. What about the service port on the bottom of the speaker? Does HK provide any diagnostic utility? Should I take the thing back to my local store and ask for a replacement? Is it just a systemic problem with the device that no one is talking about? Thanks!</p>

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC