We Help Wednesday 1/25

Is there any simple way to delete all of the photos associated with a Google Photos Account? I don’t want to delete my Google Account, and I don’t want to go through and click each one individually and delete it either.

I just want to scorch the earth so I can start the process over again. I started using it when it first launched and it became kind of a mess. Looking into making it my photo management solution, but I want a clean slate to work with.

Some people have said that you can use shift to select multiple photos, but I haven’t found a way to actually make it so I can click the first photo, hold shift, and click the last photo and have it select them all.

Kind of makes me miss the manual days of local photo management. If they were files on my PC I’d just hit CTRL A and the Del key and be done in three seconds.

Thanks for all you do guys! Keep up the good work.

Conversation 26 comments

Premium Member
    25 January, 2017 - 8:58 am

<p>Is this where we’re asking the we help questions? If so:</p>
    <p>How do I enable my Outlook Calendar to appear on the Microsoft Next Lockscreen for android? There’s&nbsp;a Calendar Meetings setting within the app, but it only shows options for a Google account. I have the Outlook App installed on my phone and have it set to the default Calendar App for the System/OS. But it’s not showing up in the Next Lockscreen settings. I feel like I must be missing a step here. Where have I gone wrong and do I have to enable a setting somewhere to have Outlook show up in the app?</p>

25 January, 2017 - 7:31 pm

<blockquote><em><a href="#38678">In reply to </a><a href="../../../../users/Lewk">Lewk</a><a href="#38678">:</a></em></blockquote>
      <p>I’m using Outlook.com calendar with the Outlook app (with Outlook.com Calendar set as default).</p>
      <p>On the Lockscreen swipe up to see the Next Lockscreen settings cog icon on rh/s</p>
      <p>&gt; In Notifications under that go to&nbsp;</p>
      <p>&gt; Meetings &gt; Turn meeting card on</p>
      <p>&gt; Manage Calendars&nbsp;&gt; My Calendar &gt; Default</p>

Premium Member
        25 January, 2017 - 8:41 pm

<blockquote><em><a href="#38800">In reply to </a><a href="../../../../users/robincapper">robincapper</a><a href="#38800">:</a></em></blockquote>
        <p>This is what I’m talking about, Outlook isn’t there.</p>

25 January, 2017 - 11:46 pm

<blockquote><em><a href="#38807">In reply to </a><a href="../../../../users/Lewk">Lewk</a><a href="#38807">:</a></em></blockquote>
          <p>Odd, if you go to Android Settings &gt; Applications &gt; Application Manager &gt; Next</p>
          <p>&gt; Permissions is calendar enabled?</p>
          <p>&gt; Notifications &gt; "Allow notifications" and "Previews in Popups" on.</p>
          <p>If not that maybe reinstall Next? There’s been a few updates recently, maybe something got scrambled</p>

Premium Member
            26 January, 2017 - 9:35 pm

<blockquote><em><a href="#38819">In reply to </a><a href="../../../../users/robincapper">robincapper</a><a href="#38819">:</a></em></blockquote>
            <p>Yes, all of that is enabled. I ended up factory resetting my phone and started from scratch. I installed all my apps again and signed in&nbsp;and synced Outlook and then installed next lock screen.</p>
            <p>Still no Outlook settings to choose from in the Meetings Settings for next lock screen. Here’s a <a href="https://1drv.ms/i/s!Au1hMoJ-Ffv0srBL6de6Eh6xQGSSGg">screenshot of what I see</a>.</p>
            <p>This is baffling to me. I have followed the apps procedures for setting up the lockscreen with my phone. And I’ve granted it every permission available. But it still&nbsp;only see’s a google account.</p>

Premium Member
        26 January, 2017 - 8:19 am

<blockquote><em><a href="#38800">In reply to </a><a href="../../../../users/robincapper">robincapper</a><a href="#38800">:</a></em></blockquote>
        <p>Awesome, thanks for this.</p>
        <p>&nbsp;</p>

25 January, 2017 - 9:24 am

<p>How do you think&nbsp;Windows on ARM will effect HoloLens? Could you see them moving to product to ARM and enabling LOB apps on it to further lower the cost of deployment for businesses?</p>
    <p>And if Paul could answer this without mentioning the field of view issues he will be my hero.</p>
    <p>&nbsp;</p>

25 January, 2017 - 10:28 am

<p>thoughts on Nadella’s Starbucks habit.</p>

25 January, 2017 - 11:02 am

<p>Is it just me, or has the Surface Book still reliability issues with the dock? The attached monitors (Nec/LG&nbsp;via DP)&nbsp;almost never turn off again after standby (in approx. 8 out of 10 tries). I have to undock and dock it, to make&nbsp;them work again. That’s highly annoying and makes it a pain to use as daily driver.</p>
    <p>I cannot believe, that there is still no solution for that issue?</p>

Premium Member
      26 January, 2017 - 11:15 am

<blockquote><em><a href="#38713">In reply to </a><a href="../../../../users/Mate">Mate</a><a href="#38713">:</a></em></blockquote>
      <p>"The attached monitors almost never turn <em>off</em> again after standby…"</p>
      <p>Do you mean <em>on</em>?</p>
      <p>I use a Dell laptop with a dock, connected to two external monitors (one via DVI, one via DP). &nbsp;Whenever I boot up or resume from sleep I have to immediately power cycle the DP monitor or else it will not turn on. &nbsp;It’s a small annoyance but it works 90% of the time. &nbsp;</p>
      <p>&nbsp;</p>

28 January, 2017 - 11:07 am

<blockquote><em><a href="#38869">In reply to </a><a href="../../../../users/Chris_Kez">Chris_Kez</a><a href="#38869">:</a></em></blockquote>
        <p>Yes, of course, I meant "on", sorry. In my case, it’s much less predictable – I haven’t found the right procedure, that works most of the time. Sometimes, only one screen turns on, sometimes power cycling it works, but not always. The most reliable way is to unplug&nbsp;and plug back in the dock. But this also does not work always.&nbsp;And then there&nbsp;is a good chance, that the Ethernet port of the dock will fail to come up – I have to disable and enable it in the device manager. And sometimes only a reboot solve the issue.</p>
        <p>From time to time, I even have to remove the power plug of the dock to make it work again!</p>
        <p>I first thought, that these issues will be addressed quickly, but it is now more than six months, that I live with it without a fix. Since I am not reading much about issues with that, I started thinking, that it is something related to my device/setup/installation.</p>
        <p>So, I am not considering this as a small annoyance, but a major issue.&nbsp;</p>

Premium Member
    25 January, 2017 - 11:19 am

<p>A couple days ago, I accidentally deleted a whole folder of pictures instead of sharing them on the OneDrive online interface. Realizing my mistake, I quickly went to deleted files and restored that folder. No problem. Except, that immediately cause the OneDrive clients on 2 of my 4 machines to crash, and not be able to run without crashing for more than a few seconds. When looking for fixes, there are none. There was one where changing the display scaling to 125% worked, but it was temporary (which, by the way, what the hell!). And there are conveniently no OneDrive troubleshooting utilities for Windows 10.</p>
    <p>Both desktop computers with crashing OneDrive were online at the time I deleted and restored the folder, and both only sync a selection of my content. I did have another desktop computer online at the time, but it syncs my entire OneDrive and has not had problems. My Surface Pro 2, which was not connected at the time, only syncs a selection of my OneDrive and its OneDrive client not crashing at all.</p>
    <p>Any ideas?</p>

Premium Member
      25 January, 2017 - 12:21 pm

<blockquote><em><a href="#38719">In reply to </a><a href="../../../../users/the_writing_critic">the_writing_critic</a><a href="#38719">:</a></em></blockquote>
      <p>A while back, I had a problem where OneDrive on my phone was not showing any old folders from my OneDrive – Personal account, although new folders I created would appear and everything on my OneDrive – Business account was fine, too. I also discovered that renaming an old folder on another device would allow its contents to be displayed. Being rather annoyed with the prospect of renaming hundreds of nested folders to restore them on my phone, I reached out to OneDrive support, who reminded me that I should first try removing the affected Microsoft account from the OneDrive app and then re-adding it. That fixed the problem instantly.</p>

25 January, 2017 - 11:27 am

<p>W10 is now on over 400 million computers all with Edge set as the default browser. In addition, MS makes it difficult to change the default browser. Given this, how is it possible for Edge to have such woeful user numbers and does this effect the Windows Store interactions?</p>

02 February, 2017 - 4:34 am

<blockquote><em><a href="#38721">In reply to </a><a href="../../../../users/anchovylover">anchovylover</a><a href="#38721">:</a></em></blockquote>
      <p>It is easy to change the default browser, and that is what a lot of people do&nbsp;</p>

Premium Member
    25 January, 2017 - 11:37 am

<p>Is there a way to forward SMS messages and missed to a PC on an Iphone and a Windows phone? &nbsp;Something similar to what Skype preview on Windows 10 offers, but on a Windows 7 PC, preferably on a browser instead of a Win32 app.</p>

Premium Member
      26 January, 2017 - 8:31 am

<blockquote><em><a href="#38723">In reply to </a><a href="../../../../users/rtodd_us">rtodd_us</a><a href="#38723">:</a></em></blockquote>
      <p>I haven’t looked at this in a while, but in researching this today, I think this may be among the best choices still:</p>
      <p>https://www.pushbullet.com/</p&gt;

25 January, 2017 - 11:38 am

<p>Strategies to protect your self from ransom ware? I automatically back up everything to onedrive but recently found out that ransom ware could potentially encrypt my onedrive folder also. Does the personal version of onedrive have anyway to recover from this if it happens?</p>

Premium Member
    25 January, 2017 - 12:27 pm

<p>I have a random networking issue on my Surface Pro 4, where periodically opening a browser (I typically use Edge, but I’ve confirmed the issue with IE and Chrome, too) returns "Page can’t be displayed" message. I still receive some network notifications, I can use Skype, and I can browse some local network resources, but I just can’t browse the web. I have tried rebooting to correct the issue, but found that the Surface would usually hand on the Restarting screen until I just killed it manually. After coming back up, the Surface is fine for the remainder of the day. But then it happens again…and again. Finally yesterday, I decided to just let the browser sit for a while, and after about 10 minutes, the problem resolved itself and I was able to browse without rebooting.</p>
    <p>My suspicion is that I have a rogue process running in the background and not responding to shut down requests. What’s the best way to check and troubleshoot this to identify what’s happening? Thanks!</p>

Premium Member
      28 January, 2017 - 11:32 pm

<blockquote><em><a href="#38742">In reply to </a><a href="../../../../users/gregsedwards">gregsedwards</a><a href="#38742">:</a></em></blockquote>
      <p>I heard this one on the podcast. &nbsp;I have a Surface Pro 3 with the *exact* same issue. &nbsp;Drives me nuts. &nbsp;You can drop to command prompt and ping things, etc. &nbsp;However trying to use any web browser just fails. &nbsp;I’ve checked things like system proxy settings – nothing wrong there (no proxy configured).</p>
      <p>If I leave it for about 10-15 minutes it magically comes good. &nbsp;Trying to shut down does the same as you – it’ll hang for ages and, if I’m super patient, maybe reboot cleanly. &nbsp;Otherwise I’m holding down the power button.</p>
      <p>Often I run into the problem when I actually need to use the Surface so I don’t dig in too deeply. &nbsp;Next time I’ll check event viewer and see if something has crashed. &nbsp;It’s weird that it mainly seems to be HTTP/HTTPS affected. &nbsp;Other apps like XBOX also don’t work – presumably because they use HTTP/HTTPS to communicate with the backend servers too.</p>
      <p>There’s no weird 3rd party AV installed. &nbsp;I’m hoping someone else also has this issue and can maybe chime in. &nbsp;I never used to have this issue but have had it occur regularly over the past few months.</p>
      <p>It’s a nebulous enough issue that it’s hard to Google for, but I bet we’re not the only two people with the problem. &nbsp;It makes the whole "take the Surface with you and have it ready to jot notes, check the web, etc" not really work :(</p>

02 February, 2017 - 4:42 am

<blockquote><em><a href="#39210">In reply to </a><a href="../../../../users/IanYates82">IanYates82</a><a href="#39210">:</a></em></blockquote>
        <p>When this happens, have you tried running ipconfig /flushdns from a command prompt?</p>
        <p>&nbsp;</p>
        <p>Also, just a thought, have you been running any Hyper-V VM’s on this Surface Pro at any time?</p>

Premium Member
    25 January, 2017 - 11:12 pm

<p>My new Ideapad Flex 4 will sometimes not wake up with working WiFi. Come back from not using it, open the lid… No Networks Available. Restarting fixes it.</p>
    <p>I don’t get it.</p>

02 February, 2017 - 4:39 am

<p><em><a href="#38816">In reply to </a><a href="../../../../users/jimchamplin">jimchamplin</a><a href="#38816">:</a></em></p>
      <blockquote><em>Try and change the properties for the Wireless network card , and uncheck ‘Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" &nbsp;that usually helps&nbsp;</em></blockquote>
      <blockquote><em>- So, Right click on Start -&gt; Device Manager</em></blockquote>
      <blockquote><em>- Open the group Network adapters</em></blockquote>
      <blockquote><em>- Right click on your Wireless network card, and choose properties in the menu that popup</em></blockquote>
      <blockquote><em>- In the Properties window look for the tab Power Management &nbsp;(not all card have this tab, but most do)&nbsp;</em></blockquote>
      <blockquote><em>- Uncheck&nbsp; ‘Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power’ Click Ok&nbsp;</em></blockquote>

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC