We Help Wednesday 9/20

Questions for the show? Drop them here!

Conversation 19 comments

• Sprtfan

19 September, 2017 - 2:08 pm

<p>I have 2 questions</p><p><br></p><p>First, is there anything similar to a sweep function in Gmail? </p><p><br></p><p>Second, my daughter needs an entry level laptop for school. I have some time so should I wait and see what Microsoft comes out with? I'm thinking a Windows on ARM type of device might meet her needs well. (Chromebook will not work since it can't run the program she needs)</p><p><br></p><p>Thanks</p>

• Simard57

19 September, 2017 - 4:05 pm

<blockquote><a href="#177945"><em>In reply to Sprtfan:</em></a></blockquote><p>what grade level is she in school?</p><p>what is your cost ceiling?</p><p><br></p><p><br></p>

• Sprtfan

19 September, 2017 - 4:16 pm

<blockquote><a href="#177985"><em>In reply to Simard57:</em></a></blockquote><p>She is in 6 grade and trying to stay under $400. </p><p>She is dyslexic and the school has been giving her a laptop to use when she needs it but I'd like something she can use at home also. I have an HP Stream 7 tablet that works well enough but is limited in what it can do and can be a little flaky at time. Very short battery life also. </p>

• Simard57

20 September, 2017 - 8:08 am

<blockquote><a href="#177987"><em>In reply to Sprtfan:</em></a></blockquote><p>is the school in a Chromebook ecosystem? my Grandsons were provided TECH by their school and they were given Chromebooks since that is what is used there. </p>

• Sprtfan

20 September, 2017 - 10:19 am

<blockquote><a href="#178130"><em>In reply to Simard57:</em></a></blockquote><p>The school uses chrombooks but the reading app she uses will not run on it. They gave her a laptop that the teachers normally uses in the mean time. She can't take it home though so was wanting to get something better than the HP Stream 7 that she has been using. The HP Stream really is ok, its just the battery life is very short. </p>

• Simard57

20 September, 2017 - 2:57 pm

<blockquote><a href="#178174"><em>In reply to Sprtfan:</em></a></blockquote><p>never used any of these but you should google reviews. They are quite cheap but that carries its own issues.</p><p><br></p><p>I am considering to replace an 8" NuVision tab that is horrible wrt battery</p><p><br></p><p>http://en.chuwi.com/</p&gt;

• Carlotta M. Horrace

21 September, 2017 - 3:03 pm

<blockquote><a href="#177987"><em>In reply to Sprtfan:</em></a></blockquote><p>Hello, </p><p>Have you ever asked about special pricing for Special Needs Education purposes? I'm a former Special Education Director, so I know that there are discounts and grants out there. You just have to dig a bit. </p><p><br></p>

• Sprtfan

21 September, 2017 - 8:22 pm

<blockquote><a href="#178954"><em>In reply to Carlotta_M_Horrace:</em></a></blockquote><p>I haven't but will. We were able to get special pricing and access to software for her needs but never thought about hardware. I'll definitely ask. Thanks for the information. </p>

• Sprtfan

19 September, 2017 - 4:17 pm

<blockquote><a href="#177985"><em>In reply to Simard57:</em></a></blockquote><p>I've been thinking about getting her an Acer TravelMate Spin B118 for $299. I've never been very impressed with sub $300 laptop but this one looks like it could have the potential to be the first. </p><p>https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/professional-series/travelmatespinb1</p><p><br></p><p>N3450, 1920×1080 IPS, 64 GB, 4 GB Ram, and active stylus</p>

• Sprtfan

20 September, 2017 - 8:37 pm

<blockquote><a href="#177945"><em>In reply to Sprtfan:</em></a></blockquote><p>The reason I was thinking of waiting for ARM based Windows device was for battery life and price/performance. I thought they might be cheaper than current entry level laptop/tablets and I've read in a few places that the performance is around that of an i3. Only a few win32 programs would need be used and are not very demanding. This is why I thought an ARM device might be a good fit. </p><p><br></p><p>Sweep is used to delete all emails at once from a sender, only keep the newest, or delete any emails from a sender that is older than 10 days. Not really just for spam and I find it very useful. Finding it hard to use Gmail with it it missing. </p>

• Simard57

21 September, 2017 - 2:31 pm

<blockquote><a href="#178390"><em>In reply to Sprtfan:</em></a></blockquote><p>wrt the Chuwi – I stumbled across https://www.anandtech.com/show/11821/the-chuwi-lapbook-123-review-premium-feel-budget-price</p><p><br></p><p>thought I would show to you. If they do not announce Arm in October, you might want to look into some of these. </p><p><br></p><p>I bet that the reading program she uses required Win32? Shame because if they announce some less expensive Windows 10 S choices in October, that might be a good idea.</p><p><br></p>

• Sprtfan

21 September, 2017 - 8:27 pm

<blockquote><a href="#178909"><em>In reply to Simard57:</em></a></blockquote><p>The Chuwi device looks very nice. I was wanting to get something with a touch screen though since she'll probably use it for other things as well and is pretty used to doing thing by touch.</p><p><br></p><p>Software is Win32 so something with Windows 10 S or Chromebook will not work. The Acer TravelMate Spin B118 I mentioned before is targeted for education and came out with Windows 10 S but it looks like a few vendors are selling it with Windows 10 Pro now. Might give this one a try. Thanks for the suggestions though. Some of the options from Chuwi look pretty good. </p>

• Simard57

21 September, 2017 - 8:55 pm

<blockquote><a href="#180806"><em>In reply to Sprtfan:</em></a></blockquote><p><br></p><p>you are welcomed – let us know what you do and how it works out.</p><p>I will continue looking at some of the Chuwi but I sure hope for a M3 instead of an Aton.</p><p><br></p>

• Chris_Kez

Premium Member
    19 September, 2017 - 3:13 pm

<p><span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">Any update on apps that support Compact Overlay? The recent news about PiP support in Android O reminded me that Windows 10 picked this up with the Creator's Update.</span></p>

• TheJoeFin

Premium Member
    19 September, 2017 - 5:11 pm

<p>I have an HP Spectre x360 which I love, but I've had persistent issues when trying to connect to some Wi-Fi networks. My home Wi-Fi works, but at work and some coffee shops the Wi-Fi is very unstable and will frequently drop the internet connection then go into 'discovering' then reconnect. Also when sharing Wi-Fi from my iPhone the internet can be unstable. </p><p><br></p><p>I've update my drivers to the best of my ability, is this a flaw in my x360 or just old a crappy Wi-Fi? Maybe there is a setting somewhere I need to fix. Thanks.</p>

• gregsedwards

Premium Member
    20 September, 2017 - 11:33 am

<p>I have a recurring problem with Bluetooth on my Surface Pro 4 being very unreliable. I have a BT Surface Keyboard, two BT mice (one that I use primarily at my desk and another that lives in my travel bag), Surface Dial, and Surface Pen, as well as a pair of BT Jabra Move headphones. </p><p>The problem is that routinely and randomly devices will just not respond, especially after the device has been docked or awakened. Usually, I can usually remove and then pair the device again to get it working, but sometimes the offending devices will report a "Driver Error" in the Windows Settings app, requiring me to completely reboot the Surface or on occasion even dig into Device Manager and reinstall the BT radio/enumerator to get things working again.</p><p>FYI, the Surface is an enterprise-managed device, but it's using a stock Windows 10 1703 install and I have local admin privileges. I generally get Windows Updates on my own, but it is subject to Group Policy and occasional pushed updates (usually just security fixes) from my company.</p><p>I've run the Surface Diagnostic Toolkit, and it's gotten better in the last couple of weeks with some recent firmware updates, but it's still annoying and inconvenient, especially for such a signature Microsoft device. Is this just "Bluetooth being Bluetooth," or do I have a deeper issue here? Thanks!</p>

• jrczekaj

20 September, 2017 - 12:07 pm

<p>Earlier this morning, my HP Envy 17t running Windows 10 Pro decided to apply updates to Windows 10. In the process of applying these updates, my screen keeps repeating the messages: Hi, We have some updates for your PC. This might take several minutes. Please do not turn off your PC. At present, this been going on for about 20 minutes. I've tried messaging Microsoft support about this, but have not gotten a response yet. Any suggestions on what I should do next? I am tempted to restart my laptop, however, not sure I should chance it.</p><p><br></p><p>Thanks for your help.</p>

• jrczekaj

21 September, 2017 - 9:35 am

<blockquote><a href="#178219"><em>In reply to jrczekaj:</em></a></blockquote><p>Shutting down the PC and restarting it has fixed the issue. I reported this to Microsoft support.</p>

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC