Cord cutting in 2019

Lately is seems that cord cutting has moved from one swing of the executioner’s sword with one large cable/tv bundle fee to death by 1000 cuts with all the individual monthly services. I realize I can cut back on services but the fiancé “needing” mtv, bravo, etc. and I wanting local sports, hbo it seems we need to tack on an extra service or two with one of the main providers.

I do enjoy owning my equipment and the ability to add and drop services on a whim, but do any other cord cutters out there feel like the novelty has worn off and it’s trending towards what we left behind?

Conversation 17 comments

• BigM72

11 April, 2019 - 3:11 am

<p>If you're trying to replicate what you get in your cable package with OTT services, you're not really a cord-cutter I'd say.</p><p><br></p><p>Changing your habit is the real difference. So, for example, if you go from having a cable package with lots of TV channels to just using Netflix, that's cord-cutting. Or going from subscription TV to purchasing boxsets.</p><p><br></p><p>Basically, I think there has to be a behavioural change component involved not just the source.</p><p><br></p><p><br></p>

• Brad Sams

Premium Member
      11 April, 2019 - 7:33 am

<blockquote><em><a href="#419870">In reply to BigM72:</a></em></blockquote><p>This – if you think you can re-create what cable offers for less, you will struggle.</p><p><br></p><p>If you don't watch TV or only care about 1 or 2 shows, you can save a lot of money.</p>

• xboxonejimcramer

11 April, 2019 - 8:53 am

<blockquote><em><a href="#419870">In reply to BigM72:</a></em></blockquote><p>I agree, I don't want/need hundreds of channels/movie packages but the unfortunate problem I face now is that the few shows we actually want require separate services which add up pretty quickly. </p><p><br></p><p>I was also wondering if Google would ever bundle together Google Fi and YouTube TV, but maybe those brands are too dissimilar from each other.</p>

• wright_is

Premium Member
        11 April, 2019 - 9:14 am

<blockquote><em><a href="#419888">In reply to XboxOneJimCramer:</a></em></blockquote><p>Do the shows ever turn up on free TV? Over here things like Game of Thrones are available on Sky Boxoffice or Amazon first, then they are shown on RTL2 (an FTA – free to air – channel) a couple of months later. That happens with most series, apart from some Netflix or Amazon exclusives. We, like most others, just wait until the series turns up on an FTA channel.</p><p>The other thing is, do you really "need" to watch those shows? Is there something different / better on one of your subscriptions that you could substitute in? </p>

• xboxonejimcramer

11 April, 2019 - 9:43 am

<blockquote><em><a href="#419889">In reply to wright_is:</a></em></blockquote><p>I understand watching less or changing my ways will save me more but I'm a consumer!! lol. </p><p><br></p><p>When I first "cut the cord" it felt like I had the upper-hand and got so much for less, but now the industry is catching up and little by little the shine is starting to wear off.</p>

• wright_is

Premium Member
    11 April, 2019 - 3:28 am

<p>I cut the satellite "cord" in 2001 – I had the full Sky package in the UK (all films and sport channels). Since then, I've just used the free to air channels, here in Germany. We do have Amazon Prime Video, but only because I was already a Prime customer. We probably watch about 1 film a month on Prime and the odd episode of a series.</p>

• lecter

11 April, 2019 - 9:45 am

<p>I subscribe to Netflix, Amazon Prime Video and HBO GO…combined with the ability to buy movies or series on iTunes and the wonderful free service that is Kanopy for cult classics, all my eyeball time is pretty much covered. </p>

• Tom Wilson

11 April, 2019 - 10:43 am

<p>Don't forget about your local library for DVDs. Ours has a better selection than Blockbuster back in its heyday, and I live in a small town.</p><p><br></p><p>Movies, HBO &amp; Showtime series, documentaries, and on and on. They only have one copy of everything, and you might have to wait for the "new arrivals", but it's FREE!</p><p><br></p><p>The thing that is going to kill your dream of cutting the cord is "local sports". Unless they broadcast OTA, you're pretty much screwed.</p><p><br></p><p>I'm a Yankees fan living in Red Sox country, so I subscribe to MLB.tv for my baseball fix.</p><p>Not available for local teams, however. Only out-of-market teams.</p><p><br></p><p>I cut the cord many years ago btw, and never looked back. Netflix, prime, and MLB.tv right now is all I need. </p><p><br></p><p><br></p>

• Tiny

Premium Member
      11 April, 2019 - 8:25 pm

<blockquote><em><a href="#419912">In reply to Tom Wilson:</a></em></blockquote><p>I would add that most libraries also offer streaming movies, older TV shows, etc. with Hoopla, RB Digital and some other services.</p>

• lvthunder

Premium Member
      15 April, 2019 - 11:32 am

<blockquote><em><a href="#419912">In reply to Tom Wilson:</a></em></blockquote><p>Libraries aren't free. You pay for them with your taxes.</p>

• Tom Wilson

15 April, 2019 - 12:10 pm

<blockquote><em><a href="#420817">In reply to lvthunder:</a></em></blockquote><blockquote>Always nice to hear from the libertarians.Tiresome, but always entertaining.</blockquote><blockquote>You would love my little town in NH. Less than 3000 people, and they just built a one million dollar addition to our library.</blockquote><blockquote>Probably give you a heart attack if you lived here. ?</blockquote><blockquote><br></blockquote><p><br></p>

• Tom Wilson

15 April, 2019 - 12:24 pm

<blockquote><a href="#420817"><em>In reply to lvthunder:</em></a></blockquote><blockquote>BTW in NH, they name libraries "(Name) Free Library"</blockquote><blockquote>I would hope they do that just to piss people like you off. ?</blockquote><blockquote><br></blockquote><p><br></p>

• Paul Thurrott

Premium Member
        17 April, 2019 - 8:38 am

<blockquote><em><a href="#420817">In reply to lvthunder:</a></em></blockquote><p>Then you should go get your money's worth.</p>

• Scott Ross

12 April, 2019 - 10:50 am

<p>Yeah I feel that the novelty has worn off. I have used most of the Over the Top Cable providers, sling, PS VUE, Direct TV Now and Hulu Live. When Sling first came out I thought it was the future and I still think it is but its at a cost now. I know I could probably go without an OTT provider if I lived by myself, but I don't I have a wife and to be honest if I had kids they would be pretty mad if I took away whatever disney/cartoon network channel. </p><p><br></p><p>The problem is prices keep rising (just like traditional cable) So I am feeling some fatigue. I did leave DirectTV Now for Hulu, mainly because of the price. I also like that Hulu has a good back catalouge of on demand shows. </p><p><br></p><p>Other complimentary services like Netflix, and Amazon Prime have been raising their rates the last several years. It is starting to be an issue, especially on the Netflix side since they are cancelling many of the shows that got me back on the service. I really liked that Disney + came in with a good price but with the slate of shows that are being produced I wonder how long the price will stay at $6.99</p>

• xboxonejimcramer

15 April, 2019 - 9:22 am

<blockquote><em><a href="#420119">In reply to SRRLX1986:</a></em></blockquote><p>I just left DirectTV Now for YouTube TV. After preparing to watch Tiger Sunday morning and once again the local channels weren't working for the nth time, I made the switch and won't look back. DirectTV can have my money for Game of Thrones but after that we will most likely/try to scale back.</p><p><br></p><p>Unfortunately the week I decide to switch to YouTube TV they raise their prices lol.</p>

• Darekmeridian

12 April, 2019 - 1:35 pm

<p>Honestly I never was completely on board with cord cutting because you got a certain package and it was what it was. If you wanted to add some "premium" it would cost you more and that was just part of the deal. </p><p><br></p><p>Now it feels like a part time job managing how and when we jump in and out of services every few months and keeping track of what shows are where and when. I don't live alone. I have a partner who's entertainment interests are far different from mine and a 12 year old son who's mostly on youtube but still watches Disney channel on the weekends. Not to mention the big guys are doing things like going back to weekly releases online (CBS All Access) and not having the back catalog of some shows (Hulu) available to try and keep you from jumping out. </p><p><br></p><p>It's media mish-mosh right now and it's not really getting better. </p><p><br></p>

• minke

15 April, 2019 - 12:02 pm

<p>The problem is lack of alternatives for Internet access. Where I live there is exactly 1 provider of broadband–the cable company. And their cheapest Internet-only rate is very high for decent bandwidth. There is no way to actually "cut the cord" unless you are OK with using a cellphone data plan, and there are lots of places around here with limited or no cell service too.</p>

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC