Where is Windows 10 1903?

“1903”:

Code timestamped as complete in February.

Codenamed “1903” for March.

Released late to only enterprises in April.

Still no GA images halfway into May.

Conversation 37 comments

• earlster

Premium Member
    13 May, 2019 - 10:06 am

<p>Not sure when GA will happen, but as I mentioned in another thread, it went out to Release Preview insiders last week.</p>

• Paul Thurrott

Premium Member
    13 May, 2019 - 10:27 am

<p>No need to get hung up on this. 1903 is a version number that equates only to when feature development of this version ended. All it has to do is be logically consistent with previous (1809) and future (1910) versions. Which it is.</p><p><br></p><p>Also, no on promised GA images by now. They're due in May. There are over two weeks left. </p>

• longhorn

13 May, 2019 - 10:56 am

<p>In Microsoft's world a version number is not a release date. This is different from for example Ubuntu where version 1904 is made available on a specific date in April of 2019. You could say Microsoft is more flexible here.</p><p><br></p><p><br></p>

• waethorn

13 May, 2019 - 2:33 pm

<blockquote><em><a href="#427762">In reply to longhorn:</a></em></blockquote><p>With the resources that Microsoft has, and Canonical doesn't, isn't it telling just how well open source can commit to a timeline, even given the sheer number of projects that have to be consolidated in a distro like Ubuntu?</p><p><br></p><p>I'm using Fedora 30 right now. There was literally only 1 week of allowed deviation from their set timeline, and it was still met.</p>

• longhorn

13 May, 2019 - 2:51 pm

<blockquote><em><a href="#427846">In reply to Waethorn:</a></em></blockquote><p>Yes, but Windows 10 is a production OS and after using Linux for 10+ years I don't consider Ubuntu interim releases (non-LTS) to be production OSes. You can use them for production, but businesses only use LTS releases.</p><p><br></p><p>Microsoft should adopt the Ubuntu release schedule. Trying to make every 6-month release a production OS is just stupid. Despite all the problems that 1809 had, it's the base for LTSC so I think this will be the most stable Windows release for a while.</p><p><br></p><p>Let the kids upgrade their OS twice a year. It's not something that is suitable for production environments, not even home offices.</p><p><br></p>

• hrlngrv

Premium Member
          13 May, 2019 - 3:23 pm

<p><a href="https://www.thurrott.com/forums/general-discussion/microsoft/thread/where-is-windows-10-1903#427888&quot; target="_blank"><em>In reply to longhorn:</em></a></p><p>The problem is that MSFT's enterprise customers and its more conservative consumer customers want something different from what MSFT wants to give them. Which raises the question: do even the most avid consumer customers want semiannual upgrades?</p><p>What's impossible to understand is why MSFT believes it needs semiannual version upgrades. If Edge could be upgraded separate from Windows, it's not like the remaining bundled software needs frequent upgrades. [Though where would we be without Unix newline support in Notepad!!!]</p>

• waethorn

13 May, 2019 - 5:06 pm

<blockquote><em><a href="#427888">In reply to longhorn:</a></em></blockquote><p>Um, what? Windows 10 Current Branch is production-quality?! LMAO! On what planet??</p><p><br></p>

• longhorn

13 May, 2019 - 5:29 pm

<blockquote><em><a href="#427943">In reply to Waethorn:</a></em></blockquote><blockquote>Um, what? Windows 10 Current Branch is production-quality?! LMAO! On what planet??</blockquote><p><br></p><p>It's supposed to be according to Microsoft.</p><p><br></p>

• hrlngrv

Premium Member
        13 May, 2019 - 3:15 pm

<p><a href="https://www.thurrott.com/forums/general-discussion/microsoft/thread/where-is-windows-10-1903#427846&quot; target="_blank"><em>In reply to Waethorn:</em></a></p><p>Linux distributions pick kernel version and other packages already available for use some weeks or a few months prior to release. Few time-stamped versions are released with the latest production versions of all packages.</p>

• crp0908

13 May, 2019 - 1:07 pm

<p>I agree with Paul. There is no need to get hung up on this yet. It could be released 'late May.' If June 1st comes and it is still not released, then it is time to worry.</p><p><br></p><p>By the way – just a technicality – it's not officially released to enterprises yet. It was released to developers in April.</p>

• waethorn

13 May, 2019 - 2:37 pm

<blockquote><em><a href="#427837">In reply to crp0908:</a></em></blockquote><p>But enterprises are supposed to be consolidated into development now….i.e. "Server &amp; Tools".</p>

• crp0908

14 May, 2019 - 7:54 am

<blockquote><em><a href="#427848">In reply to Waethorn:</a></em></blockquote><p>I'm not sure what you mean. I work for an enterprise. We have always downloaded the enterprise bits from MS VLSC. 1903 isn't available on VLSC yet, but it is available on visualstudio.com (for developers).</p>

• waethorn

14 May, 2019 - 12:38 pm

<blockquote><em><a href="#428042">In reply to crp0908:</a></em></blockquote><p>Enterprise IT are supposed to be developers too, according to the way Microsoft markets their infrastructure bundling. Visual Studio is supposed to be "part of the [enterprise IT] stack".</p>

• martinusv2

Premium Member
    13 May, 2019 - 9:43 pm

<p>AMD posted graphic drivers Catalyst 19.5.1. In the release notes, it states support for Windows 10 May 2019 update. </p><p><br></p><p>So I guess it's coming very soon.</p>

• madthinus

Premium Member
      14 May, 2019 - 6:12 am

<blockquote><em><a href="#427981">In reply to MartinusV2:</a></em></blockquote><p>Nvidia is also ready, they added support for Windows 10 1903 in the last drivers. </p>

• madthinus

Premium Member
    14 May, 2019 - 6:14 am

<p>In fairness, they did say late May 2019 for GA. </p>

• Alastair Cooper

14 May, 2019 - 11:10 am

<p>If you really want it now you can get it by joining the Windows Insiders programme then updating from the Release Preview ring. I've had it installed for a while and its OK on my machine though obviously YMMV.</p>

• techguy33

14 May, 2019 - 12:35 pm

<p>Too bad they don't make it available to enthusiasts/early seekers who want it asap without having to go through the insider program.</p>

• Luis Emilio Padilla

14 May, 2019 - 8:50 pm

<blockquote><em><a href="#428084">In reply to techguy33:</a></em></blockquote><p>If you don't want to use the Insider program you aren't enthusiast enough for MS to worry about and can wait with the rest of us xD</p>

• Dan1986ist

Premium Member
    14 May, 2019 - 1:12 pm

<p>Only Release Preview Insiders and those paying for MSDN have access to 1903 at this time. Let's not forget the issue regarding upgrading devices with external drives plugged in. Hopefully Microsoft is working on fixing that issue before everyone else starts getting 1903. Or atleast put an update block on affected devices until they can fix the issue.</p>

• jimchamplin

Premium Member
    14 May, 2019 - 2:04 pm

<p>It’s on my PCs. Installed via Insider Release Preview. </p><p><br></p><p>Edit: I should add, it’s been available via RP for at least two weeks. </p>

• anchovylover

18 May, 2019 - 6:25 am

<blockquote><em><a href="#428115">In reply to jimchamplin:</a></em></blockquote><p>That's great for you Jim but what about the hundreds of millions of home users out there?</p>

• robinwilson16

14 May, 2019 - 5:57 pm

<p>You can download the ISOs from here:</p><p>https ://cloud.mail.ru/public/2FBX/5AEqdSZ8t/en_windows_10_business_editions_version_1903_x64_dvd_37200948.iso</p><p>(remove space after https )</p><p>Business = Pro</p><p>Consumer = Home</p><p><br></p><p>Make sure to get the one starting en_, that is if you are British/American and not Russian! Alternatively if you are an American/British Russian then get both!!!</p><p>Hopefully is ok to post this as is not illegal, just early. Or actually late but not as late as the official isos.</p>

• waethorn

15 May, 2019 - 10:23 am

<blockquote><em><a href="#428156">In reply to robinwilson16:</a></em></blockquote><p>From Russia. Ya no thanks. Not saying it's political, but if it were anywhere on a legitimate website, Microsoft would've issued takedown orders already.</p>

• snow.steve22

Premium Member
      16 May, 2019 - 11:39 am

<blockquote><em><a href="#428156">In reply to robinwilson16:</a></em></blockquote><p>Actually, what is at that address (today) is an HTML page (449 kb) with JavaScript that I wouldn't want to run. Call me paranoid!</p>

• robinwilson16

17 May, 2019 - 6:18 pm

<blockquote><em><a href="#428558">In reply to snow.steve22:</a></em></blockquote><p>Strange, it still works for me. It's not Huawei so should be safe! CRC checks out and I've installed on a few PCs already. It seems to be a sort of Russian OneDrive of sorts. If you have JavaScript disabled then the page won't be able to render as it lists the different isos and generates download links when you click on them. If paranoid then use the PC of the person next to you when they take their lunch break.</p>

• evox81

Premium Member
    15 May, 2019 - 9:25 am

<p>Windows fans:</p><ul><li><em>The quality of this update is atrocious, it wasn't ready for release, sticking to this schedule is stupid.</em></li></ul><p><br></p><p>Also Windows fans:</p><ul><li><em>WHERE IS THIS UPDATE THAT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE RELEASED MONTHS AGO ACCORDING TO THE SCHEDULE I THOUGHT WAS STUPID 6 MONTHS AGO!?!?!?!??1</em></li></ul>

• waethorn

15 May, 2019 - 10:26 am

<blockquote><em><a href="#428287">In reply to evox81:</a></em></blockquote><p>I wouldn't call those people "Windows fans".</p><p><br></p><p>I'd call them Microsoft critics – their code quality is atrocious, AND they can't keep to a schedule.</p>

• Tony Barrett

15 May, 2019 - 10:06 am

<p>FFS, what's the big deal? Would you not prefer your current OS – which hopefully works – over something totally unproven in production use? With Microsoft's track record, I'm surprised people aren't staying put on older versions. If you can, defer all Windows 10 'feature' updates for as long as possible – best advice I can give.</p>

• waethorn

15 May, 2019 - 10:46 am

<blockquote><em><a href="#428304">In reply to ghostrider:</a></em></blockquote><p>Knowing that a new build is coming, and previous build releases have been disasters, some people are actually waiting for Microsoft to get the "final" (read: production-quality) code out to run some clean projects on it and do their own testing instead of using the existing codebase that is going to face a huge in-place upgrade. Other people have schedules you know.</p>

• anchovylover

18 May, 2019 - 6:19 am

<blockquote><em><a href="#428304">In reply to ghostrider:</a></em></blockquote><p>"FFS, what's the big deal?"</p><p><br></p><p>If this were Google you would be all over it like MS mining Bing Maps data. At least try to be consistent. </p>

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC