Windows 7 Tribute/Eulogy Thread

If anyone here wants to pay tribute to Windows 7, here is a thread!

My Tribute:

When Windows 7 was released in 2009. I was impressed by the fresh, clean appearance, faster boot time, and the new features, like super taskbar. It was a considerable improvement over Windows Vista, and especially XP. I used Windows 7, several years, across many devices. Some included an Intel Atom N455 netbook, a tablet, and more.

Around 2015, I upgraded to Windows 10, on all my devices. Although Windows 10, is a vast improvement, over Windows 7, in many areas. Windows 7’s simplicity, of being a traditional Windows OS, will always be it’s greatest legacy! Not to forget, the reliability, of just working. Now, support comes to an end, after a long 10 year run.

RIP Windows 7

You will always be missed! ?

Conversation 7 comments

• ErichK

Premium Member
    05 November, 2019 - 7:51 pm

<p>Yeah, Windows 7 was kind of like a breath of fresh air after Vista … of course, prior to that I had Vista installed on a Core 2 Duo gaming rig, and it ran fine. Not everyone had the same experience, from what I hear… ?</p><p><br></p><p>Still, I could immediately feel once I booted into it that 7 ran more efficiently than its predecessor.</p>

• miamimauler

05 November, 2019 - 11:46 pm

<p>As a home user for me my happiest MS experience was using W7 and IE11. Yes, apparently I'm one of the minority who liked IE11. </p><p><br></p><p>Imho, it has been downhill for MS in consumer products in general since the fateful day they inflicted the vomit inducing W8 on us in 2012.</p><p>W10 is ok after you remove all of the bloatware and ads along with changing nearly all of the privacy settings and the less said about Edge the better but for me it is a shadow on W7 and IE11.</p><p><br></p><p>I know this won't be a popular opinion here but that's how I see it.</p>

• StevenLayton

06 November, 2019 - 4:11 am

<p>Thanks Windows 7. You allowed me to access the Internet through you, launch applications to get work done, and play the odd game….just like all of the versions of Windows before and after you.</p>

• Brazbit

06 November, 2019 - 3:37 pm

<p>Ah Windows 7… what is there to say? How about this: Progress marches on and soon you shall be gone. </p>

• hrlngrv

Premium Member
    06 November, 2019 - 4:13 pm

<p>I hate Aero. To the extent Windows 7 helped kill it, bravo, Windows 7.</p><p><br></p><p>OTOH, I've always preferred the Windows 95/Classic start menu, so bad show, Windows 7. However, that gave rise to Classic Shell, which still works in Windows 10, so not so bad.</p><p><br></p><p>Tangent: anyone who was seriously into LiteStep theming in the early 2000s would likely have been unimpressed by whatever features Windows 7 added to the taskbar.</p>

• Winner

06 November, 2019 - 5:16 pm

<p>Totally agree, Windows 7 IMHO the best Windows ever. Especially if they were continuing to support it rather than throwing all that work into tracking, messy UI, and ads in Win 10.</p>

• Greg Green

07 November, 2019 - 5:56 am

<p>It’s not dead yet!</p>

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC