What We Use: Phones – Fall 2021

What smartphones does everyone here use, in Fall 2021

Me:

I use a Google Pixel 4a 5G

Phenomenal camera, great battery life, vibrant display and mostly reliable!

Conversation 30 comments

• thejoefin

Premium Member
    20 October, 2021 - 4:17 pm

<p>iPhone 8. It is a good phone, does what I ask of it.</p><p><br></p><p>Will probably be upgrading to the iPhone 13 soon though.</p>

• mcerdas

Premium Member
    20 October, 2021 - 4:19 pm

<p>Samsung Galaxy S7. It still works</p>

• jason_e

20 October, 2021 - 4:23 pm

<p>I use an iPhone 13 Pro for as my daily. I have also ordered a Pixel 6 Pro to play around with. I don’t normally do 2 phones but I decided I wanted to see what Google was up to and Android 12 looks nice.</p>

• StevenLayton

20 October, 2021 - 5:45 pm

<p>If someone doesn’t proudly announce they’re still using a Windows Phone I’m going to be massively disappointed, lol.</p>

• mcerdas

Premium Member
      21 October, 2021 - 11:13 am

<p>Well, the day I had to start using my beloved Lumia 920 was the day I lost interest in phones. I got my current phone then, and I will probably keep it until it croaks</p>

• dftf

21 October, 2021 - 3:44 pm

<p>I’m sure there are videos of people installing Android on various <em>Windows Phone </em>devices, so you could keep the hardware but install an OS you can actually still get apps for…</p>

• jeffrye

22 October, 2021 - 12:12 pm

<p>My son still uses a Nokia Lumia 635 and he’s quite happy with it.</p>

• txag

20 October, 2021 - 8:49 pm

<p>iPhone 12 mini — nice, pocketable phone.</p>

• dftf

21 October, 2021 - 3:59 pm

<p>Yeah, it’s hard to find something small in the Android world that doesn’t also mean "crap spec". Your phone is 13.2cm tall by 6.4cm wide. The closest I can find are the Samsung Galaxy A40 or Google Pixel 4a (the non-5G model), both of which are approx 14.4cm tall and 6.9cm wide (or the Samsung Galaxy S10e is 14.2cm by 7.0cm).</p><p><br></p><p>Sadly, the Sony Xperia Compact range (13.0×6.5cm for the 2017 "XZ1", or 13.5×6.5cm for the 2018 "XZ2") aren’t a thing in Western markets, thesedays. Both of those are very-similar sizes to your one, but I doubt there is anything remotely-close in the Android world now.</p>

• George Coll

Premium Member
    20 October, 2021 - 11:27 pm

<p>Note 10, just preordered the Pixel Pro 6</p>

• justme

Premium Member
    21 October, 2021 - 3:34 am

<p>Iphone 11. Does what I need.</p>

• usman

Premium Member
    21 October, 2021 - 6:22 am

<p>S21 Ultra – got a good trade-in on my Note 9, the buds pro and bunch of accessories were included for free</p>

• paull90

21 October, 2021 - 7:08 am

<p>iPhone XR – I don’t see any reason to upgrade right now. Battery Health is still good and I don’t see anything on the later models that would justify the upgrade.</p>

• steenmachine

21 October, 2021 - 8:07 am

<p>iPhone XR. Performance is top notch. </p>

• christianwilson

Premium Member
    21 October, 2021 - 8:41 am

<p>I’ve been using an iPhone 11 for about two years. I will keep it until the battery isn’t holding up. </p>

• scj123

Premium Member
    21 October, 2021 - 9:33 am

<p>Note 20 Ultra 5g, first Samsung phone and loving it</p>

• h8zgray

Premium Member
    21 October, 2021 - 11:10 am

<p>Hi all, still sticking with the Samsung Galaxy S10+ Performance Edition, </p><p><br></p><p>Everything I need so far plus the storage at 1.5 TB mean I can carry a backup of my computer encrypted yet accessible, plus the camera is still not half bad, don’t mind the headphone jack (yeah I’m one of those)…</p><p><br></p><p>All things being equal I still miss my Microsoft Lumia 950 XL (yeah, I’m still one of those)…</p>

• mcerdas

Premium Member
      21 October, 2021 - 11:13 am

<p>There are dozens of us! Dozens!</p>

• dftf

21 October, 2021 - 3:42 pm

<p><strong>Pixel 3a</strong>, and sadly only May next-year until guaranteed updates will stop.</p><p><br></p><p>Given how many parts of the OS have been put into the <em>Play Store</em> to get updated outside of monthly-updates I might risk keep using it until the <em>Black Friday </em>period and see what’s on-offer then (maybe a Pixel 7a or 8a by then?). Shame though, as it’s pretty-much all still working-fine, aside from (the expected) slightly-less battery-capacity than when new, and some slight speaker-crackle when the volume is near-full. But were updates still offered, I’d be fine to keep on using it longer…</p>

• darkgrayknight

Premium Member
    21 October, 2021 - 4:32 pm

<p>Samsung Note 9 – all paid off and still running great. I’d love to get a Surface Duo, but the third iteration would probably be the better one. I really miss my Nokia Icon Windows phone, but the battery just won’t hold charge any more. Mostly I miss some of the "ideas" that were great for the short time they worked: People hub, grouping contacts across multiple accounts, Texting/Facebook messaging within the same interface, etc.</p>

• arnstarr

21 October, 2021 - 8:28 pm

<p>Galaxy Note 10. </p>

• red.radar

Premium Member
    21 October, 2021 - 11:38 pm

<p>Iphone SE 2020. As soon as it launched I gambled that the Pandemic was going to be around a while so I wanted to go back to touch ID. I also wanted a smaller device. The Iphone X MAX was too big for my liking. </p>

• harmjr

Premium Member
    22 October, 2021 - 8:48 am

<p><span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">Pixel 4a 5G I am very happy. </span></p>

• jeffrye

22 October, 2021 - 12:06 pm

<p>I’ve got an iPhone Xr that has the best battery life I’ve ever experienced in a phone.</p><p><br></p><p>ALSO – my son is happily using my old Nokia Lumia 635 and he has no plans to give it up any time soon.</p>

• winner

22 October, 2021 - 4:00 pm

<p>Another Pixel 4a5G here. Very pleased with it, the perfect size for me.</p>

• MacLiam

Premium Member
    22 October, 2021 - 9:04 pm

<p>OnePlus 9 Pro. I also carry a iPhone 8+ as a backup/crisis replacement.</p><p><br></p><p><br></p>

• bgoodbody

Premium Member
    23 October, 2021 - 12:23 pm

<p>Samsung S10e</p>

• rob_segal

Premium Member
    23 October, 2021 - 12:49 pm

<p>Still on the Galaxy Note 10+. Screen cracked while it was in my pocket. I’m deciding between a Galaxy S21 Ulta, Pixel 6 Pro, or iPhone 13 Pro. I have an iPad Mini and recently replaced my Windows laptop with a MacBook Air. IPhone 13 Pro might be my next phone when I decide to upgrade after I switch mobile carriers.</p>

• casualadventurer

14 December, 2021 - 2:04 pm

<p>Like you, I had the Samsung Galaxy 10 and cracked the screen. Since I didn’t want to spend another grand on a phone at that time, I decided to buy a TCL 10Pro. For $350 I got a phone that was almost identical to the Samsung, but with a better screen (HDR10 compatible). The internals were nearly identical. I’m so happy with it that I doubt I’ll buy a premium phone ever again.</p>

• sabarrett

Premium Member
    25 October, 2021 - 3:29 pm

<p>I"m finally upgrading my iPhone 7 Plus to a lightly used 12 pro. I don’t need the latest tech for my phone, and the 7 has been working fine. Its on its second battery and some things are behaving wonky – app crashes, calls coming in after a voice mail, texts coming in late… If its not failing, its not playing well with the new OS. I figure 6 years is a good life. I’ll do a reset and sell it to someone to help pay for the 2 pro.</p>

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC