CES 2018 So do we really need all this ****

So there is lots of stuff at CES 2018, but do we really need any of this stuff, or is it really a lot of clever fluff, that we [conusmers] don’t really need or will be soon discarded/ irrelevant in a couple of years ?

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/jan/10/consumer-electonrics-show-ces-2018-lack-of-innovation

Should our Technology companies be trying to solver more relevant/ important causes ? – I guess its a Consumer Show, so thats what we expect. (Noting that Microsoft has moved on/ away from supporting CES)

Conversation 7 comments

• John Scott

10 January, 2018 - 11:06 am

<p>I think its a waste, just a lot of gimmicky stuff, and niche products that will never be the next great tech products. I wonder how much of this stuff is even around a year from now? Yes probably a handful of stuff is actually innovative and could be interesting and useful, the rest is not. </p>

• dave0

Premium Member
    10 January, 2018 - 3:51 pm

<p>Progress is incremental. Its a yearly show. Can't reinvent the world in 12 months. </p><p><br></p><p>There is a lot of useless crap and its a lot of fun. </p>

• vonronge

10 January, 2018 - 5:04 pm

<p>You really need a $3000 robot dog!</p>

• Bob Nelson

11 January, 2018 - 8:23 am

<blockquote><a href="#236745"><em>In reply to vonronge:</em></a></blockquote><p><br></p><p>Go watch the "metalhead" episode of Black Mirror on Netflix and get back to me on that.</p>

• hrlngrv

Premium Member
    10 January, 2018 - 9:38 pm

<p>Just remember: today's stuff is next month's landfill.</p><p>CES is the proverbial wall against which any company which is or wants to be a tech leader throws its stuff. Shame this year the walls appear to be teflon sprayed with WD-40.</p>

• SWCetacean

Premium Member
    11 January, 2018 - 1:47 am

<p>I really wish Nvidia would announce its next generation of consumer GPUs as the current Pascal ones are almost 2 years old at this point. I'm still holding on to my GTX 980 in the hopes that the next-gen cards will release this spring. But I realize that CES isn't the best show to announce something like that.</p>

• rameshthanikodi

11 January, 2018 - 8:01 am

<p>Of course we don't need <em>all</em> of it, but some of it is cool. Like Asus's simple solution to a bezel-less triple monitor setup, Razer's project valerie, Nvidia's insane g-sync TV monitor, and of course, the first phone with a working fingerprint sensor under the glass.</p>

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC