Windows 11 1st Impressions – ThinkPad T470

Today, I installed Windows 11 22000.160 on my 2017 Lenovo Thinkpad T470, with a i5-7300.

1st impressions

Interface

The Windows 11 UI feels like an incremental improvement over Windows 10. While the rounded windows and new icons are welcoming. I don’t see this as a big reason to upgrade to Windows 11 right away. Albeit, the UI could change in a few months. The start menu is alright, but definitely feels like downgrade from Windows 10.

Performance

Windows 11 feels about the same as Windows 10. I have encountered some bugs already, with the desktop right context menu, crashing Windows UI. I have tested Portal 1 and ran without any hiccups. Everything opens as it should and the resources are utilized about the same. This is to be seen over time.

I have not tested intensive gaming yet, as my Thinkpad lacks a discrete graphics chip.

Web browsing and everything else is fine too.

Start up time

Windows 11 boots about the same as Windows 10, no significant difference here.

Login Screen

Nice and refreshing, like Android almost.

Conclusion

While Windows 11 is a nice refresh over Windows 10. I personally don’t see any compelling reasons to upgrade, when it’s released. I would recommend waiting a few months after RTM.

That’s if your PC can even run Windows 11. Hopefully my relatively new Thinkpad t470 can run it!

Conversation 18 comments

• sherlockholmes

Premium Member
    28 August, 2021 - 1:17 pm

<p>Not just a few month. I will wait at least a year and a regular Update. This thing is not ready for primetime. </p>

• polloloco51

28 August, 2021 - 3:22 pm

<p>Agreed! With any new OS, it’s definitely worth waiting a while. I hope Microsoft extends the support of Windows 10, by a year or two. Especially considering they cut off millions of devices from Windows 11. </p><p><br></p><p>Or, they ease the requirements for Windows 11 slightly!</p><p><br></p><p><br></p>

• miamimauler

29 August, 2021 - 1:15 am

<p>FWIW, I really only have one show stopping issue with W11 and that is the Start Menu. I don’t want the ‘Recommendation’ section and I want to be be able to resize the Start Menu when I remove that section.</p><p>I’ve also read in an earlier article by Paul himself that some apps can’t be placed in the Start Menu as one of the eighteen available. That is another unacceptable issue for me.</p><p>There are a also few other minor problems with the Start Menu.</p><p><br></p><p>For me and my use case the W11 Start Menu is user hostile and for this reason alone I won’t be downgrading from W10 on my two less than a year old laptops despite both being eligible. </p>

• hrlngrv

Premium Member
    28 August, 2021 - 5:56 pm

<p>In my experience using it, File Explorer in Windows 11 lags far more often and for longer than File Explorer in Windows 10 or Windows 8.1. It lags launching file manager windows, it lags displaying context menus, it lags beginning copy/move/delete operations. In short, no matter what you ask it to do, it take a half to full second for it to begin doing so. Annoying, but not a show stopper.</p><p><br></p><p>I just don’t care about the Start menu. I’ve been using Classic Shell/Open Shell for years and will continue doing so.</p><p><br></p><p>OTOH, the Windows 11 taskbar has shed most of the functionality of the Windows 10 taskbar. No way to configure the appearance of the clock/calendar (e.g., including seconds, NBD for me, but a constant source of whining on reddit), no way to hide the clock/calendar if one uses a desktop widget, awkwardness with multiple monitors, broken drag-and-drop onto pinned icons, no way to display multiple instances of the same program separately in the taskbar, no way to include labels next to icons, truncated context menu, no toolbars (that does affect me, I’ve used that for documentation files for years, maybe decades), no way to move the taskbar to left/right/top screen sides, no way to make the taskbar wider but use small icons to pack multiple rows of icons in it.</p><p><br></p><p>The Windows 11 taskbar is so, er, functionality-free that I’ve given up using it myself. Taskbar Eliminator to hide it completely and Nexus Dock to replace it works very well, providing all the functionality of the Windows 10 taskbar.</p><p><br></p><p>Then there’s Settings. I prefer the Windows 10 layout and navigation: I go from subtopic to subtopic within a given top-level topic more often than I switch between top-level topics. Then there’s things like Background Apps, which had its own subtopic in Windows 10, but in Windows 11 one must click on the 3-dot menus in Apps &amp; features, click on Advanced options, then change settings in the new screen which appears. Bonus: when done making such changes, no matter how you return to Apps &amp; features, Settings puts you at the top of the list rather than in the place when you selected Advanced options. I may be in the minority here, but Windows 11 Settings is a steaming pile of manure for me.</p>

• polloloco51

28 August, 2021 - 6:40 pm

<p>Quick Update</p><p>I rolled back to Windows 10, on the T470. The experience of Windows 11 was interesting. There is really no point of testing Windows 11 any further, that will never reach the laptop. What a shame! ?</p><p><br></p><p>Hopefully by (or before) 2025, I will have acquired a new ThinkPad……or installed Debian or another Linux distro. </p><p><br></p><p><br></p>

• polloloco51

29 August, 2021 - 5:01 pm

<p>Another thing I like to add:</p><p><br></p><p><br></p><p><br></p><p>When Microsoft said, Windows 10 supported for the lifetime of the hardware. Windows 10 is the last version.</p><p><br></p><p><br></p><p><br></p><p>They really meant this, it appears. Hopefully they will allow 7th generation processors at launch. That’s just insane they would cut out millions and millions of perfectly good PCs.</p><p><br></p><p><br></p>

• epguy40

06 September, 2021 - 2:07 pm

<p>you will have to manually download a Win11 ISO and manually install Win11 from the installation media when those ISOs become available this October.</p><p>you may not see any Win11 upgrade offers from windows update for a 7th gen Intel based system</p>

• vivienm

12 September, 2021 - 1:00 am

<p>And you may not see the monthly security updates in Windows Updates either, in which case Win11 is near useless…</p>

• simont

Premium Member
    29 August, 2021 - 7:17 am

<p>It’s things like this that show that Microsoft’s worst enemy is Microsoft. I am hoping they clarify the clarification to say that updates would be allowed but I think the damage has been done. Again.</p>

• hrlngrv

Premium Member
      31 August, 2021 - 12:10 am

<p>| <em>Microsoft’s worst enemy is Microsoft</em></p><p><br></p><p>Which raises the question whether MSFT’s biggest problem is failing to recognize this truth.</p>

• scoop

29 August, 2021 - 10:43 am

<p>Same boat here. I have one PC that meets Win 11 specs. I ran it on the beta channel for a few weeks. Played around with it, liked a few things more than Win 10 (Settings, especially) and a few things I liked less. (taskbar) But it’s not ‘that’ big a change, at least not till the Android apps capability happens. What is different is clearly designed to be touch-friendly.</p><p><br></p><p>I went back to Win 10, partly since I do not have a touchscreen monitor for my desktop PC and don’t plan to get one soon. Once the final version is shipped I will likely install Win 11, just because….plus my other PCs run Win 10 and/or Linux. But I cannot get too excited in either direction about it. I am rooting for MSFT to change my mind in the positive direction. </p>

• scoop

29 August, 2021 - 10:51 am

<p>P.S. I should add that I use Classic Shell, so I did not play with the new Start menu much. It is also designed to be touch-friendly. I could likely learn to live with it, same as the Win 10 Start menu. But the Classic/Open Shell experience is ideal for me.</p>

• ghostrider

29 August, 2021 - 3:07 pm

<p>If WIn11 is half as bad as Win10 was at launch, steer clear of it for at least 12 months. We’ll also have to watch out for any devious MS tactics use to force the upgrade on people. Really, Win11 just seems like a marketing exercise to re-invigorate interest in Windows (hence the new numbering). Win10 was a product that been more problematic than MS would care to admit, but that’s more about Microsoft’s coding/testing processes than anything else. Why would Win11 be different?</p>

• hrlngrv

Premium Member
      29 August, 2021 - 4:24 pm

<p>It used to be the rule to wait for SP1. Hasn’t changed. All initial versions of Windows are, at max charity, unfinished.</p>

• sherlockholmes

Premium Member
    29 August, 2021 - 11:45 pm

<p>One thing that fucks me up most in Windows 11 ist that they made it harder to do things. For Instance: I use a short cut in the context menu to move things around or copy them into a folder. On Windows 11 I need to do more steps to do it? Why? Every new version of a product should make things easier and not harder to do. </p><p>One other thing is the file explorer. The new interface have lesser functionality then in Windows 10. And there is no way to change it. Why? </p>

• Greg Green

30 August, 2021 - 7:40 pm

<p>The thing that annoys me the most about so many software upgrades is when they add mouse clicks to tasks. So often designers seem to forget users or how easy and quick tasks used to be.</p>

• Greg Green

30 August, 2021 - 8:00 pm

<p>One of the great and controversial race car designers, Colin Chapman, had a simple philosophy in the beginning: add lightness. It was added to every component possible on the car. I wish software designers felt the same way about efficiency of mouse clicks. To every component of user interface they should add lightness.</p>

• ryley92

26 October, 2021 - 9:16 am

<p>windows 11 :: windows 10</p><p><br></p><p>lemon :: sour lemon</p><p><br></p><p>freezing :: frosty</p><p><br></p><p>big :: large</p><p><br></p><p>small :: mini</p><p><br></p><p>are you guys serious? what is different?</p><p>its the same fking OS, capable of being installed with the windows 10 install files…</p><p>I did so, and until I received a windows update, the windows boot manager had me selecting "windows 10" as the OS</p><p>because windows itself didnt even notice the difference. </p><p><br></p><p>Its the same os. so they moved the start button default location to the left-center, (which can be reverted in 2 clicks)</p><p>And If you have a problem with a task requiring an additional click of your mouse, perhaps try using the keyboard.</p><p>Although I saw a commenter mention this as an issue, I didn’t see a specific example mentioned, but I would recommend everyone get better acquainted with the "new" OS before making claims like that, I highly doubt this is actually a legitimate claim. </p><p><br></p><p>Correct me if I’m wrong. I’ll see what I can do to get it corrected in the next patch </p><p><br></p><p><br></p>

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC