Google Seeking Windows 10 Certification for Pixelbook

Thought this was interesting.

https://www.xda-developers.com/google-pixelbook-microsoft-windows-10/

Looks like Google is seeking Windows certification for the Pixelbook. As others have speculated it is unlikely Google would ship with Windows 10 on their hardware but they could leave open a dual booting option similar to boot camp.

I have to think this is something being looked at for enterprise. Basically a “We think Chromebook will work for you BUT if you get it and need more or have that one department or project that wants it, toss Windows on it.”

Conversation 47 comments

• Martin Pelletier

Premium Member
    13 June, 2018 - 9:57 pm

<p>This is strange that Google would make Chromebooks with Win10 installed. Maybe they want to compete more against Surface laptops? Or they want to do something similar as Apple that has a way to convert Macs to Windows?</p>

• dcdevito

14 June, 2018 - 7:27 am

<blockquote><a href="#283959"><em>In reply to MartinusV2:</em></a></blockquote><p>If this actually happens, I'd say Google might be gearing up for an enterprise push</p>

• Nicholas Kathrein

15 June, 2018 - 3:58 pm

<blockquote><a href="#284040"><em>In reply to dcdevito:</em></a></blockquote><p>I think it's for software development. What make Macs so huge with Developers is they can boot into either MacOS or Windows. This will boot into ChromeOS or Windows and as they get their ChromeOS and Android development tools native to Chrome it gives them also the ability for Windows Development. Very smart.</p>

• Michael Goff

16 June, 2018 - 7:11 pm

<blockquote><a href="#284561"><em>In reply to Nicholas_Kathrein:</em></a></blockquote><p><br></p><p>You'll be able to develop for Windows pretty soon even without this. Microsoft has developer tools on Linux. </p>

• Nicholas Kathrein

20 June, 2018 - 8:52 am

<blockquote><a href="#284727"><em>In reply to Michael_Goff:</em></a></blockquote><p>That maybe but I would think the tools of Linux vs Windows would side with the windows environment if your using Microsoft tools. Right now they are selling a very small amount of these which means costs are really high to make. Making this laptop available for even Microsoft type folks who only wants to use Windows is still a win as selling the laptops will help sell more and drive down costs. </p>

• skane2600

13 June, 2018 - 10:16 pm

<p>I expect they would sell more Pixelbooks with Windows installed, but it doesn't seem to fit their current strategy.</p>

• dcdevito

14 June, 2018 - 7:26 am

<p><em>It's the end of the world as we know it</em></p><p><em>It's the end of the world as we know it</em></p><p><br></p><p><em>And I feel fine</em></p>

• Michael Goff

14 June, 2018 - 3:51 pm

<p>What's the point of a Pixelbook if it runs Windows 10?</p>

• Nicholas Kathrein

15 June, 2018 - 3:56 pm

<blockquote><a href="#284226"><em>In reply to Michael_Goff:</em></a></blockquote><p>Allows you to pull off what Macs do (dual boot). Macs are huge with software development. </p>

• Michael Goff

15 June, 2018 - 7:21 pm

<blockquote><a href="#284560"><em>In reply to Nicholas_Kathrein:</em></a></blockquote><p><br></p><p>You're going to be able to run Linux apps on ChromeOS by the end of the year. Adding Windows is just adding pointless complexity and making the Pixelbook just a nice Ultrabook. </p>

• Nicholas Kathrein

20 June, 2018 - 8:50 am

<blockquote><a href="#284593"><em>In reply to Michael_Goff:</em></a></blockquote><p>Not true. You're adding it to allow software development for Windows as well as their native OS. Having the option to boot into Windows just gives developers a solution that gives you many options for programming in windows as well as what Google is doing in ChromeOS.</p>

• Michael Goff

22 June, 2018 - 1:04 pm

<blockquote><a href="#285285"><em>In reply to Nicholas_Kathrein:</em></a></blockquote><p><br></p><p>You'll be able to develop for Windows on Linux using the IDE Microsoft has on there. </p>

• VancouverNinja

Premium Member
      22 June, 2018 - 1:57 pm

<blockquote><a href="#284226"><em>In reply to Michael_Goff:</em></a></blockquote><p>It is just delaying the inevitable end of Chrome OS. It is a dead platform and it is not going to last much longer. Having OEMs produce hardware for an OS with less than a 1% marketshare after 7 years is an exercise in futility. Google is trying everything to try to keep it in the game – it is rather foolish but they don't want to admit the OS is dead. I am guessing that when they have something in another few years from their Fushia project they will kill ChromeOS and try again.</p>

• Michael Goff

24 June, 2018 - 12:04 am

<blockquote><a href="#285764"><em>In reply to VancouverNinja:</em></a></blockquote><p><br></p><p>You stick to your guns. You may be delusional, but at least you're consistently delusional.</p>

• Dan1986ist

Premium Member
    14 June, 2018 - 4:01 pm

<p>If this gets to the sold by retailers phase, 32 GBs of local disk storage, or whatever the amount is, isn't going to cut on these pixelbooks. Not with Chrome OS and Windows 10 alongside each other in a dualboot configuration. There would have to more internal storage to make this work.</p>

• Nicholas Kathrein

15 June, 2018 - 3:53 pm

<blockquote><a href="#284228"><em>In reply to Dan1986ist:</em></a></blockquote><p>Lowest config comes with a 128 gb ssd. That is fine. Chrome os is small. Something like 5 gb. </p>

• lordbaal1

14 June, 2018 - 7:09 pm

<p><span style="color: rgb(38, 40, 42);">This has something to do with hardware.</span></p><p><span style="color: rgb(38, 40, 42);">A PC can easily duel boot. It's nothing special. This is most likely for some hardware.&nbsp;</span></p><p><span style="color: rgb(38, 40, 42);">Maybe like an Xbox controller, maybe printer, or any hardware peripherals.</span></p>

• VancouverNinja

Premium Member
      22 June, 2018 - 1:53 pm

<blockquote><a href="#284337"><em>In reply to lordbaal1:</em></a></blockquote><p>It also helps Google keep the OEMs supporting ChromeOS for a little longer – the devices can be re-purposed for Windows…Chromebooks are simply a waste of time at this point. </p>

• RR

15 June, 2018 - 10:54 am

<p>Maybe Google sees the handwriting on the Wall. And it's spelled "Andromeda"</p>

• Michael Goff

15 June, 2018 - 1:57 pm

<blockquote><a href="#284454"><em>In reply to RR:</em></a></blockquote><p><br></p><p>That's a great joke. </p>

• skane2600

15 June, 2018 - 2:22 pm

<blockquote><a href="#284454"><em>In reply to RR:</em></a></blockquote><p>I don't see any connection between Pixelbooks and the vaporish Andromeda.</p>

• RR

15 June, 2018 - 5:42 pm

<blockquote><a href="#284540"><em>In reply to skane2600:</em></a></blockquote><p>Haha. You guys remind me of the "Ghandi" quote. Or the stages of grief, take your pick. :-)</p><p>So it's speculative of course, but the idea is if Andromeda were to dual run Windroid (Microsoft already deploys all the tech to do this today). Then Google's logical initial response could be do the same on desktop (the product ad writes itself if Microsoft thinks there is value in Windroid mobiles). </p><p>I have thought for sometime that Microsoft needs to do a Windroid if they want the Andromeda to succeed in a way that is material, and for sure, if one were going to launch a Windroid machine without saying so ahead of time, you would do all the things Microsoft has done over the last 2 years or so. </p><p>Maybe Google thinks that's what they are doing. Remember, Google is the fastest follower of all the tech giants. They did it in SmartPhone, in SmartSpeakers, Jamboard etc, so if they get a whiff something is cooking, they respond. You see Microsoft stock doing pretty well and getting quite pricey. Why? There are some people who know something that Microsoft is doing that they expect to be big. Maybe its just the cloud, but we'll see. </p>

• Michael Goff

15 June, 2018 - 7:04 pm

<blockquote><a href="#284573"><em>In reply to RR:</em></a></blockquote><p><br></p><p>I'm willing to hear you out. How do you think Andromeda will be the thing that kills ChromeOS?</p>

• RR

15 June, 2018 - 11:01 pm

<blockquote><a href="#284578"><em>In reply to Michael_Goff:</em></a></blockquote><p>I don't think that, and I didn't say that. A Windroid Andromeda is a threat to Android not ChromeOS. Google can respond to that threat by doing various things including making a threat of their own to Windows, using Winchrome.</p>

• Michael Goff

15 June, 2018 - 11:56 pm

<blockquote><a href="#284639"><em>In reply to RR:</em></a></blockquote><p><br></p><p>I have to admit, it worked gangbusters for Blackberry OS. Just make your OS run Android and it's a threat to Android because reasons. </p>

• RR

16 June, 2018 - 7:28 pm

<blockquote><a href="#284644"><em>In reply to Michael_Goff:</em></a></blockquote><p>So you are saying Google's Winchrome idea is a dead end</p>

• Michael Goff

16 June, 2018 - 7:49 pm

<blockquote><a href="#284728"><em>In reply to RR:</em></a></blockquote><p><br></p><p>No, I'm not saying that at all. I'm saying Windows on a Pixelbook will actually happen and Android on Andromeda probably won't.</p>

• RR

16 June, 2018 - 8:23 pm

<blockquote><a href="#284742"><em>In reply to Michael_Goff:</em></a></blockquote><p>You believe a Winchrome by Google will happen, but you don't believe it's a threat to Windows? So what is Google's point in making a Winchrome. Just throw it out there and hope nobody buys it. I am not getting the logic in these statements. </p>

• Michael Goff

16 June, 2018 - 8:28 pm

<blockquote><a href="#284755"><em>In reply to RR:</em></a></blockquote><p><br></p><p>I never actually said whether or not I think Windows on a Pixelbook is a threat to Windows, mostly because I don't see how that discussion makes any sense. Nor do I think it has to be a threat to Windows for it to make sense for Google.</p><p><br></p><p>Personally, I see behemoth OS's like Windows slowly collapsing under the weight of its own bloat. There's a reason why Microsoft chose Linux for IoT, for example. The behemoth desktop OS of old isn't the future.</p>

• skane2600

16 June, 2018 - 9:43 pm

<blockquote><a href="#284756"><em>In reply to Michael_Goff:</em></a></blockquote><p>Microsoft's choice of a Linux variant for IoT may be as much about marketing as it is technical. Linux is just another option, Windows 10 for IoT is still in development. In any case, any OS is overkill for some IoT applications.</p>

• Michael Goff

16 June, 2018 - 9:55 pm

<blockquote><a href="#284758"><em>In reply to skane2600:</em></a></blockquote><p><br></p><p>Windows 10 for IoT is still too big for a large swath of devices. Why do you think they killed development of Microsoft Band?</p>

• skane2600

16 June, 2018 - 10:07 pm

<blockquote><a href="#284759"><em>In reply to Michael_Goff:</em></a></blockquote><p>Given that no version of Windows 10 existed at the time Microsoft Band was designed, I think we can definitively state that the size of Windows 10 IoT had nothing to do with its cancellation. </p>

• Michael Goff

16 June, 2018 - 10:32 pm

<blockquote><a href="#284760"><em>In reply to skane2600:</em></a></blockquote><p><br></p><p>You do know Band 2 was released around the same time as Windows 10 was released to public, right?</p>

• skane2600

17 June, 2018 - 12:23 am

<blockquote><a href="#284761"><em>In reply to Michael_Goff:</em></a></blockquote><p>What is that supposed to prove? Are you claiming that Band 2 was based on Windows 10 IoT? Otherwise I don't see any relevance. </p>

• Michael Goff

17 June, 2018 - 12:25 am

<blockquote><a href="#284763"><em>In reply to skane2600:</em></a></blockquote><p><br></p><p>No, it wasn't because Windows 10 IoT was too heavy for it. That's what I was saying. </p>

• skane2600

17 June, 2018 - 12:55 am

<blockquote><a href="#284764"><em>In reply to Michael_Goff:</em></a></blockquote><p>No, that's not what you said. You said the fact that you believed Windows 10 IoT was too big for Band was why it was canceled. It doesn't make sense to claim that MS would drop a product that was sucessful just because a new OS that obviously wasn't necessary to create it wouldn't fit. </p><p><br></p><p>The more plausible explanation is just that the Band product wasn't successful when challenged by other companies like Apple. </p>

• VancouverNinja

Premium Member
            22 June, 2018 - 1:50 pm

<blockquote><a href="#284578"><em>In reply to Michael_Goff:</em></a></blockquote><p>Kills ChromeOS? It is already dead.</p>

• Michael Goff

24 June, 2018 - 12:02 am

<blockquote><a href="#285761"><em>In reply to VancouverNinja:</em></a></blockquote><p><br></p><p>I want whatever drugs you're on, they're obviously pretty strong.</p>

• skane2600

16 June, 2018 - 12:44 am

<blockquote><a href="#284573"><em>In reply to RR:</em></a></blockquote><p>It's hard to keep track of all the fantasies associated with Microsoft's unannounced "products" like the Surface Phone and Andromeda but this is the first time I've heard that the latter could run Android apps. </p>

• RR

16 June, 2018 - 6:36 pm

<blockquote><a href="#284648"><em>In reply to skane2600:</em></a></blockquote><p>In a rather odd symmetry, it's the first I heard of a Chromebook running Windows …</p>

• Michael Goff

16 June, 2018 - 7:10 pm

<blockquote><a href="#284725"><em>In reply to RR:</em></a></blockquote><p><br></p><p>Except there are actually things pointing to Windows 10 on a Pixelbook and only fanboy dreams pointing to Andromeda running Android apps.</p>

• skane2600

16 June, 2018 - 9:36 pm

<blockquote><a href="#284725"><em>In reply to RR:</em></a></blockquote><p>Well, we are speculating on the possibility of a Chromebook running Windows based on Google seeking Windows certification for the Pixelbook. You are speculating that Android apps will run on Andromeda based on nothing. That's the difference.</p>

• RR

17 June, 2018 - 12:02 am

<blockquote><a href="#284757"><em>In reply to skane2600:</em></a></blockquote><p>Yes, I have less to go on that the Chromebook case. But here is what I have:</p><p>We now know for sure that Microsoft is at advanced stage of working on this alleged device, including from permaskeptics like Paul Thurrott, that info is all in 1 direction at this point.</p><p>We know that such an is-it-a-phone-is-it-not device running any version of Windows alone would probably appeal to a very tiny fraction of the user base. Sort of a pocketable Surface Studio. At best, a lot of media splash, oh, ha, that a few people are willing to buy at high prices, but little market effect. That was OK for brand building purposes, but I think Microsoft is past that point on their comeback journey, and it would be dumb now to stay there. Also, it could just bomb, because it is panned as an unnecessary item, which I would agree with, I mean it just makes no sense to ask people to keep 2 items in their pocket, bring this one out when, bring that one out if.</p><p>OTOH, I think most people would agree that if such a device was a well implemented Windroid; a phone, and also whatever newly available benefits Microsoft implements into it, you suddenly have an addressable market of like 1-3% of mobile userbase to like 35_50% for the device category. So, I have never been a product developer, but I think "no brainer" is a word that might be thrown around in such a scenario. Yet some people are saying the Andromeda is not a phone. It is hard for me to believe, and I think that is just smokescreen. </p><p>BTW, to add a bit to more, Huwaei is shipping a Windroid Phone in China this very minute. Not sure if it's a first, but someone at Microsoft approved that licensing deal, that can't be lost on the industry. Add that to all the Androidy things Mircosoft has been doing for 2 years. <span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0); background-color: transparent;">So, yes, it is speculative but that's not the same as "nothing."</span></p>

• skane2600

17 June, 2018 - 12:37 am

<blockquote><a href="#284762"><em>In reply to RR:</em></a></blockquote><p>Can you provide a model number of Hawaei's "Windroid" phone? All I can find is their initial statement of intention, followed quickly be their decision to scrap the idea. </p><p><br></p><p>It's also worth noting that Surface Phone was considered "inevitable" among tech writers and yet, years later – no such device. </p><p><br></p><p>The problem with the idea is that if it runs full Windows 10, Android apps become superfluous and if it runs Windows 10 S, Windows becomes superfluous and it just becomes one of many competitors in the commodity Android market.</p>

• RR

18 June, 2018 - 1:03 am

<blockquote><a href="#284765"><em>In reply to skane2600:</em></a></blockquote><p>Looks like my Huawei info was outdated. I had not seen the cancellation announcement "due to pressure from Microsoft and Google" per the news report I read just now. I guess that's the kibosh on my speculation, you win ? (for now)</p>

• skane2600

18 June, 2018 - 3:21 am

<blockquote><a href="#284881"><em>In reply to RR:</em></a></blockquote><p>OK. The article I read quoted a Huawei official stating the reason was "nobody made any money in Windows Phone."</p>

• Nicholas Kathrein

15 June, 2018 - 3:55 pm

<p>I think the main reason is like when you buy a Mac you also have the option of running windows. It makes Macs huge in software development. I think Google is looking at it from that angle.</p>

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC