Pixel 2 problems? Not me.

I have had my Pixel 2 XL for over a week, and so far, I…AM… been LOVING IT. I ordered my Pixel 2 XL, directly from Verizon Wireless, and received the phone on Thursday October 19th. Contrary to what I have been reading, I have had no problems at all. I was kinda shocked to read about these problems. The problem doesn’t seem to be an epidemic as was the exploding Note 7 issue, but we’ll see. 

Should people who pre-ordered this phone cancel it, because of the issues? LOL…NO. Why would you do that? People have to understand that Google wants to effect this space and wrestle marketshare control away from Samsung. Therefore Google will do whatever they can to make everyone satisfied. Afterall, they’ve done this in the past. Paul said that Google learned from Microsoft? No. They learned from Samsung and the Note 7 fiasco. When the experts, Including Paul, already wrote Samsung off as being doomed forever, the opposite happened. Google clearly learned from that. That’s why they have addressed this head on. People who pre-ordered this phone and cancelled are either overreacting or BLUFFING. It has to be either/or. 

For the sake of the people who are experiencing the problem, we should be absolutely happy that these issues are happening now. As a matter fact, you could even call it a blessing. That’s because had the issue arose later, rather than now, the isolation and identification of the issue would’ve been much more difficult to resolve and the steps to assure customer satisfaction would be a hard. Dependence on the Pixel 2, as one’s daily driver would have been solidified. Right now, Google is not only working to fix the problem, but everyone is getting a 2 year warranty. Not one year, but TWO YEARS! LOL…my phone is not having any problem, and I got 2 years on the phone. #twothumbswayup

Again, two years. 

Phones are a lot like cars. The cheap ones have warranties, where if something goes wrong, you take back it to the dealer to get it fixed and that’s it. However, if you buy a premium car, like a Mercedes, not only will the dealer fix it, but you’ll likely get a loaner, as well as some breakfast and lunch. LOL…that’s what I get, when I send my Mercedes Benz in for repair. The point of all that, is to not worry about the Pixel phone. The Pixel phones is a high-end premium phone designed by Google and outsourced for manufacturing by one of the leading electronic manufacturers in the world, LG ….and HTC. Like Samsung, LG makes televisions, appliances, Smartphones, etc… The Pixel phone(s) powered by pure Android with the premium parts inside, justifies the higher price bracket as Samsung and Apple. Because this is a 100% Google product, which a brand that everyone knows, uses, and trusts…it should be considered a premium product. However, what makes a premium product isn’t just the product itself. It’s also the customer service and their ability to not just give a loaner, but also the breakfast and lunch for their customers as well. It’s all about quality – FYI, my Mercedes dealer also has private tv booths, computer station (to work while you wait), and free snadwiches and soda. Look there is quality and then there is QUALITY. IN this situation, Google is the latter.

In addition, I like the premium price tag of the Pixel. As a former Samsung Galaxy Note user, I can tell you this…the Pixel is 100 times better than the any of the Saumsung Galaxy S’s and Notes. The only thing the Samsung phones have over the Pixel (IMO) is the look and design. Other than that, it’s a straight sweep for the Google Pixel across the board. It’s faster, it’s more reliable, and it plays very very well with smarthome components. All in all it’s just a better phone…and that includes the iPhone.

Edit post

Conversation 12 comments

• Rycott

Premium Member
    28 October, 2017 - 10:43 pm

<p>Sooo… TLDR… 'I love google. They do no wrong. The issues others are having are non issue because I don't have them.'</p>

• rameshthanikodi

29 October, 2017 - 3:22 am

<p>this sounds exactly like what windows phone fans would say when defending their phones, lol (didn't matter in the end)</p>

• jpr75

29 October, 2017 - 8:24 am

<p>Could this be anymore of a valentine to Google. Good Lord. I have a Pixel XL and ordered the Pixel 2 XL when it was released. Will receive it next week (I use Project Fi).</p><p>The screen burn-in issue is like travelling back in time to CRT monitors and Plasma TVs. Though OLED TVs can also exhibit screen burn in, most TV manufacturers have ways of dealing with it built into the TV. To have a screen burn in issue on $900.00 phone is just plain crazy. I have not yet decided if I will return my Pixel 2 XL, but since Google has announced no intention of fixing it, (other than to dim the button bar), I might just slap a return label on the box and ship it back. The 2 year warrantee is a distraction, and when customers starting seeing the screen burn-in, is Google going to replace their phones (from what I have read it starts showing up a week to 10 days after first use)?</p><p>Surely, in all their testing, Google must have encountered this. My guess is it probably would have cost them a fortune to fix it, and/or delayed the phone release by a substantial amount. Google chose not to fix this, and will lose sales, and customer loyalty because of it.</p>

• Jack Smith

29 October, 2017 - 8:53 am

<p>My Panda is coming in a couple of weeks and can not wait. I went to look at the Pixel 2 at a local Verizon store and did not see anything that would bother me. Plus this is one peppy phone and noticeably more fluid than the Note 8 or any of the other Android phones.</p><p><br></p><p><br></p><p><br></p><p><br></p>

• Paul Thurrott

Premium Member
    29 October, 2017 - 11:57 am

<p>Thanks for the write-up.</p><p><br></p><p>But …. "I<span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">&nbsp;like the premium price tag of the Pixel." LOL. What? :)</span></p><p><br></p><p><span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">The only thing Samsung and Apple have over Pixel is years of success. Which breeds further success. Samsung's ability to withstand exploding phones—-exploding!—is a great example of that. </span></p><p><br></p><p><span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">Anyway, glad you like it. </span></p><p><br></p>

• ilovemissy85

29 October, 2017 - 3:44 pm

<blockquote><em><a href="#211373">In reply to paul-thurrott:</a></em></blockquote><p>Paul I have had the Samsung Galaxy S8+ for 6 months.I just traded it in for the Blackberry Keyone in space black from AT&amp;T best move I could have done . I really love it. </p>

• Nicholas Kathrein

01 November, 2017 - 1:38 pm

<blockquote><a href="#211373"><em>In reply to paul-thurrott:</em></a></blockquote><p>There are some with money to spare and a few who don't that look at pricing differently. They either see a high price inline or more than the top end phones as an important indicator that the company see this as premium and you should too. Some people wouldn't buy a phone selling at $600 because others would see them with that phone only knowing the price and not that it's the best phone out. Think of this as how some want a BMW or MB just people general perception. </p><p><br></p><p>Others think charging more means even if they aren't doing it yet eventually they will invest more money over time spend on R&amp;D and making a better phone with better hardware than they would have otherwise.</p>

• paulkbiba

Premium Member
    29 October, 2017 - 12:52 pm

<p>Received my 2 XL direct from Google on the 23rd. So far have seen none of the problems that the tech press is complaining about. As of right now it's my favorite phone ever, even including my iPhone 7 and Galaxy 8+. My major hobby is photography and I must say that the camera is absolutely phenomenal. Very happy with my purchase. </p>

• Bats

30 October, 2017 - 10:54 am

<p>I wouldn't worry about it.</p>

• Polycrastinator

30 October, 2017 - 11:04 am

<p>I'm glad that you're able to declare it's more reliable after only a week's use.</p>

• Tomaz

05 November, 2017 - 8:21 pm

<p>Good read, bro.</p>

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC