Buying a Pixel (1 not 2) to replace a Nexus 5x?

I’ve had a Nexus 5x for a really long time now and while I still like the phone, performance in certain apps is lacking and storage is limited (32GB.) I’d like to stay in the same 5″ size factor while getting an upgrade in performance, storage and camera.

I am considering obtaining a silver 128GB Pixel (1 not 2) that I found at a good price. Any compelling arguments to not get this phone besides the fact that it isn’t the latest and greatest?

Conversation 5 comments

• Usman

Premium Member
    19 January, 2018 - 4:57 pm

<p>I used to have a Nexus 5X too, the problem with it was the 2GB of ram that really screwed up its performance, anything with 3GB or more on android is what will improve the performance a lot. </p><p><br></p><p>I'm on an S8 and it's buttery smooth, I can have 20 or so apps open in the card view and it doesn't slow down, where as on the 5X more than three would have bogged it down. The only downsides I can think of is that its using a two generation old snapdragon and unsure how long google will support android updates if you plan to keep it for more than a year.</p>

• johnh3

27 January, 2018 - 2:22 am

<p>I suppose its best to have the latest processor for long term support. But you can get a Pixel 1 cheaper than the current version of course.</p><p><br></p><p>But check out some new alternatives. I suggest Sony Xperia XA2 with Snapdragon 630. (On BestBuy) Sony are good with frequent software updates and you can expand the storage with a micro SD card.</p><p><br></p><p>A similar option would be Nokia 6 (2018 model) I guess it should come to the US market probably around march. Directly after the MWC 2018 event.</p><p><br></p><p><br></p>

• Bats

27 January, 2018 - 3:50 am

<p>I see that the 1st generation Pixel is in the $300 range now. There really isn't any argument against the Pixel. I found the Camera on my Pixel XL to be much better than the Nexus 6P, if you are into that thing. It's really hard to find any arguments the Pixel phone, as it was one of the best phones of it's generation. I can't think of anything , to be honest. I think your best bet is to go to Youtube and watch Pixel (1st gen) reviews. I wouldn't take the word of a Thurrott.com reader, especially if they carry the "premium badge" as they tend to have biases againt Google.</p>

• Andy Babiec

28 February, 2018 - 12:04 pm

<p>Update: the Pixel 1 worked really well for a while but then the mic stopped working and this appears to be a common issue with the original Pixel. The mic not working meant I couldn't use Google Assistant or talk to people unless I put it on speaker mode, which is an inconvenient workaround. Ended up returning the phone.</p><p><br></p><p>Loved everything else about the phone (size, form factor, performance) but I am staying away from the original Pixels as a potential option. I am now considering a Pixel 2 or the new Samsung Galaxy S9.</p>

• Bats

28 February, 2018 - 2:36 pm

<blockquote><a href="#249470"><em>In reply to ababiec:</em></a></blockquote><p>No. I don't know anyone who has his this problem with the Pixel 1 mic. The S9 looks like that it's going to be a great phone, but if your not into getting the latest and greatest Android updates than you should go ahead and get that phone.</p>

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC