Costco Surface Pro 7 Bundle

Costco has a $400 discount on Surface Pro 7 Bundle I7/16 GB/256 GB with keyboard and pen for $1149

Conversation 16 comments

• yaddamaster

17 February, 2021 - 4:13 pm

<p>Six months ago I would have called this a no-brainer. Now, after all the problems my son has had with his, I'm inclined to write this generation off.</p>

• simard57

17 February, 2021 - 5:48 pm

<blockquote><em><a href="#613837">In reply to yaddamaster:</a></em></blockquote><p>what problems did he have with it?</p><p><br></p><p><br></p>

• illuminated

17 February, 2021 - 6:25 pm

<blockquote><em><a href="#613837">In reply to yaddamaster:</a></em></blockquote><p>Write the whole generation off? Is it THAT bad? What is so wrong with it?</p>

• yaddamaster

18 February, 2021 - 12:09 pm

<blockquote><em><a href="#613885">In reply to illuminated:</a></em></blockquote><blockquote><em>well, I never had any problems with my version five. Still running strong other than the keyboard has discolored and the plastic membrane is peeling.</em></blockquote><blockquote><br></blockquote><blockquote><em>But his series 7 has had driver problem after driver problem. Touchscreen stops working – figured that one out by uninstalling the human interface drivers one by one until it started working. Trackpad now doesn't work consistently. Weird charging glitches. BOD.</em></blockquote><blockquote><br></blockquote><blockquote><em>I dunno – I'm just really sour on Microsoft shutting down their stores. In the past you could visit and arrange for repairs on hardware – now you have to navigate Microsoft's nonsensical phone customer support and be without your laptop for a period of time. For what is supposed to be a premium product. ymmv – I'm just saying that a year ago I would have bought one for this price. Now……yeah, I'm passing. </em></blockquote><p><br></p>

• simard57

18 February, 2021 - 4:29 pm

<blockquote><em><a href="#613991">In reply to yaddamaster:</a></em></blockquote><p>maybe he should contact support to swap it?</p><p><br></p><p>I ordered one – my HP Spectre 360 is being held together by tape. While I am happy with HP standing behind their product, my experience is not good and I decided to return to the SP line. I am glad I matched the same specs as the Spectre</p><p><br></p><p>fast response from Costco – it arrives tomorrow and has a 2 yr Costco warranty ….</p><p><br></p><p><br></p>

• angusmatheson

19 February, 2021 - 2:25 pm

<blockquote><em><a href="#613991">In reply to yaddamaster:</a></em></blockquote><p>I’m so glad it isn’t me. My surface pro 7 keyboard doesn’t work 1/2 the time- I think it is it doesn’t recognize when it wakes from sleep. It started when my 1 year old type cover had separation of the keyboard from the magnets when taking it off. That somehow messed up the surface so even a new keyboard now doesn’t reliably work. I am hoping trust a full system restore will allow the new keyboard to work.</p>

• crunchyfrog

18 February, 2021 - 12:16 pm

<blockquote><a href="#613837"><em>In reply to yaddamaster:</em></a><em> I have to agree. I recently bought a new SP7 and shortly afterwards it started to exhibit the "sleep of death" as it's called where it will not fully wake up. Researching this I discovered that this has been an issue with Surface Pro models going back to at least SP4. I took it back and bought a Lenovo Yoga 6. </em></blockquote><p><br></p>

• earlster

Premium Member
    18 February, 2021 - 6:12 pm

<p>This is about the same I paid for my SP4 i5/8GB/256GB with pen and dock (keyboard was extra) on some special many years ago. Certainly a good price for this level of performance.</p><p>But I've also learned since that the lifespan of SPs is limited and battery replacements are expensive. I'm happy to give up a little bit of the pure tablet factor for a 360 type convertible, and will be looking at the likes of HP, Dell, or Lenovo in the future. Or even that Razer laptop that Paul was reviewing recently, that's pretty sweet.</p>

• simard57

18 February, 2021 - 9:05 pm

<blockquote><em><a href="#614100">In reply to earlster:</a></em></blockquote><p>my HP Spectre 360 has not been a good experience – I posted my trials a long time ago.</p><p>It replaced a SP3 I had that I thought died – but turns out it was a bad power brick. It now is working fine and I am using it to rip movies because the USB port on my 360 is now wonky.</p><p><br></p><p>maybe I ran into a bad batch of Spectres but they replaced it 3 times.</p>

• earlster

Premium Member
      19 February, 2021 - 12:18 pm

<blockquote><a href="#614100"><em>In reply to Simar57:</em></a></blockquote><p>FWIW, my wife has an HP Envy 360, it's about 2 years old, and working like a charm. But I will consider your feedback when I get to buy my next laptop. Faulty USB ports on HPs is something I've read about a few times now.</p><p>Currently, I'm back at using my SP4, with a battery replacement by a local repair shop, but it's getting a little slow.</p>

• ghostrider

20 February, 2021 - 5:10 am

<p>If reliability and serviceability aren't important to you, and you value <em>looks</em> over everything else, I'm sure it's a relatively good deal. I've had some very bad experiences with Surface devices in the Enterprise, and wouldn't ever touch them again.</p>

• simard57

20 February, 2021 - 1:29 pm

<blockquote><em><a href="#614308">In reply to ghostrider:</a></em></blockquote><p>my experience with my HP Spectre 360 has been orders of magnitude worse than with my SP3. I am on Laptop 4 from them with three lemons along the way and less than a stellar performance by their support team. </p>

• winner

20 February, 2021 - 2:14 pm

<p>And I also just picked up the base Mac Mini with new M1 processor on sale at Costco for $599. A steal.</p>

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC