Surface pro 4 battery won’t charge completely with USB drive attached?

Has anyone experienced battery charging and battery draining issues with their Surface Pro 4?  (I know, that is a silly question, but humor me please).  I have had my Pro 4 for six months, and noticed that it takes more than 20 hours sometimes to fully charge the battery (even when it is turned off), sometimes the battery seems to drain while the surface is turned off, and the battery life seems to be much lower than the Microsoft state life expectancy (seems to only last 4-5 hours before it drops below 10%).  I took it to the Microsoft store last week and the tech there said everything seemed fine, although he said it was a little odd that the battery did drop one percent within a minute while he was inspecting it.  I have a Samsung 128GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Fit drive in the USB port, so thought maybe the surface was expending battery power to power that drive.  After unplugging it, my surface was able to charge up to 100% without any problem.  Could having drives attached to the USB port of the surface draw battery power to the extent of preventing the surface from recharging its battery properly, and even drain the battery while in use quicker than normal?  I asked the tech this and he said it shouldn’t have that type of effect on the Surface.

I ran a battery report (which the tech read) and the “Current estimate of battery life based on all observed drains since OS install” shows 5:04 hours.  Seems short for only having had the surface for 6 months with only 22 recycles of the battery.  My battery info is below:

BATTERY 1
NAME
X910528
MANUFACTURER
DYN
SERIAL NUMBER
CHEMISTRY
LION
DESIGN CAPACITY
38,152 mWh

FULL CHARGE CAPACITY
38,040 mWh
CYCLE COUNT

Any insight on the above would be greatly appreciated!

Conversation 3 comments

03 January, 2017 - 7:06 pm

<p>Update…Removed the&nbsp;Samsung 128GB USB 3.0 Flash Fit drive and now the Surface charges fine, and doesn’t seem to be draining its battery as fast as before. &nbsp;Bummer that I can’t keep a thumb drive attached to the Surface without suffering battery drain/charge issues.</p>

03 January, 2017 - 8:52 pm

<p>I have a 128GB SanDisk Ultrafit plugged into my Surface Pro 3 24/7 with no issues.</p>

05 January, 2017 - 4:29 am

<p>I have the 128GB Samsung plugged into my Surface Pro&nbsp;4 I7-16GB model all the time think I may have only removed it a handful of times this last year and I have not seen the issues you are seeing.</p>
    <p>I would ask are you storing anything on the drive that would be read constantly, such as&nbsp;installing programs directly to the drive?</p>

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC