Surface pro 4 – clean install?

I have used a Surface Pro 4 for the last four years now. Given the amount of software installs / uninstalls over the years I’m wondering:

– is a clean install or refresh of windows possible?

– is it prudent to do so? Does anyone have experience with this?

Conversation 6 comments

• rob_segal

Premium Member
    07 March, 2020 - 9:16 pm

<p>Yes, it's possible. The reset option in Windows Settings – Recovery can do it. Can also install a fresh copy by using Microsoft's Windows Installation Media Creation tool to create a bootable USB drive and you can delete and recreate the partition through installation process. Surface may have a cloud factory restore function in Advanced Startup found in Recovery.</p>

• robinwilson16

08 March, 2020 - 8:28 am

<p>I reinstall Windows at least once a year and normally download the Windows Media Creation tool and create a bootable USB with the latest version on it and then select to shut down the Surface, plug in the pen drive then hold the volume down button whilst I power it on and keep holing until I see the Windows logo then it should boot from the pen drive allowing a full reinstall.</p>

• wftw2016

08 March, 2020 - 1:53 pm

<p>Thanks for the feedback!! </p>

• irfaanwahid

09 March, 2020 - 1:48 am

<p>My Surface Pro 4 has been rocked solid since I bought it in 2016, apart from the battery that does not last on me for more than 60min.</p><p>Unfortunately where I am there is no Microsoft Store nor channel partner to support the device.</p>

• wright_is

Premium Member
    09 March, 2020 - 5:00 am

<p>The built in refresh, as rob_segal says, should be fine.</p><p>That said, I've never re-installed Windows on any device, but I don't really install and uninstall all that much software.</p>

• justme

Premium Member
    09 March, 2020 - 7:16 am

<p>Dont have a 4, but do have an SP3. I've done it a couple times now, no issues. Clean install is very possible – I did it moving from W8.1 to W10 on the device, and again later.</p><p><br></p><p>My first clean install, I downloaded the SP backup image from Microsoft. Install was fine, but the image was not up to date, so I spent most of the clean install time brining the SP up to the current release. No problems per se, just time consuming and WIndows update being what it is, a bit of a pain. I ended up re-doing this after a week or so, only this time I downloaded a fresh ISO from Microsoft. Everything went fine. The second time I did it, I started with the fresh ISO route and didnt have any major problems, </p>

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC