surface phone to be released late 2018 or 2019 and a new windows phone at the end of this week

According to this german windows site the surface phone will come late 2018 or 2019, but we will get a new windows phone with x32 app support at the end of 2017. Can we get any insightfull oppinion on this by paul and Brad?

Conversation 13 comments

• asdfasdf1

15 March, 2017 - 5:22 am

<p>sorry i ment end of this year not week!!!</p>

• rameshthanikodi

15 March, 2017 - 5:23 am

<p>Fake news!</p>

• Polycrastinator

15 March, 2017 - 8:45 am

<p>Let me beat them to it with my insight:</p><p><br></p><p><span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">¯_(ツ)_/¯</span></p>

• StevenLayton

15 March, 2017 - 11:17 am

<p>Can I ask a question of WP fans? What are your hopes for a Surface Phone? Is it simply the probably high build quality that any Surface Phone would bring, or something else? </p>

• skane2600

15 March, 2017 - 12:28 pm

<blockquote><em><a href="#90649">In reply to StevenLayton:</a></em></blockquote><p>Has high build quality ever been the key factor in choosing a smartphone for the average person? I don't think so.</p>

• StevenLayton

15 March, 2017 - 2:37 pm

<blockquote><a href="#90691"><em>In reply to skane2600:</em></a><em>trying to work out why the excitement for one. I don't get it. </em></blockquote><p><br></p>

• jimchamplin

Premium Member
    15 March, 2017 - 11:51 am

<p>What is it with the whole Surface Phone idea? It currently exists as the HP Elite x3. It's everything that people wanted two years ago when it might have mattered. Guess what, it hasn't miraculously saved this dead mobile platform. My Lumia 640 is still just as much a paperweight as it was the day I got my iPhone 6S, a decision I still do not regret. Microsoft mismanaged what they had and ultimately snatched defeat from the jaws of modest victory.</p><p>Heh, maybe if they hadn't kept hitting the reset button on the app platform and API, the developers wouldn't have jumped ship and there could be a healthy, though I doubt huge third option now.</p><p>Oh well. <em>C'est la vie!</em></p>

• skane2600

15 March, 2017 - 12:24 pm

<blockquote><em><a href="#90677">In reply to jimchamplin:</a></em></blockquote><p>I largely agree although IMO 2 years ago was far too late to do anything to save Windows Phone. They should have been aggressive with carriers and supporting developers back in the WP7 days. Having said that, once Android followed the iPhone into the market the fate of competitors was pretty much sealed. What is the 3rd place mobile OS with a significant market share? There isn't one.</p><p><br></p><p>A Surface Phone wouldn't save the platform and might actually tarnish the Surface brand by being judged a failure.</p>

• jimchamplin

Premium Member
        15 March, 2017 - 12:46 pm

<blockquote><a href="#90690"><em>In reply to skane2600:</em></a></blockquote><p>I think they could have pulled it off though. The product was good enough to find die-hard fans. Retention wasn't a problem, it was the initial sale where Windows Phone smacked into a wall. Ballmer's Microsoft thought it would be an easy sale, since they felt like entrenched contenders when they only half-realized they were playing a new game. </p><p>The whole 7 to 8 business was a debacle that they could have mitigated. They COULD have supported that hardware in some way. Even the 7.8 update which gave 7.x users the newer Start, which was one of the most obvious improvements, became an insult with it going from "available to all 7.5 users" to "whatever. If you get it, you get it."</p><p>It was all so very Ballmeresque, with constantly changing things out from under developers and users, and total ambivalence toward what that does to the reputation of the platform.</p><p>That said, "Surface Phone" would had to have shipped alongside the original Surface devices. That might have gotten enough interest going to draw developers back.</p>

• Vuppe

15 March, 2017 - 12:14 pm

<p>We're still on the Surface Phone thing? It won't come until Windows 10 on ARM, if it comes. But who cares? Microsoft lost the phone market.</p>

• jimchamplin

Premium Member
      15 March, 2017 - 12:57 pm

<blockquote><a href="#90686"><em>In reply to Vuppe:</em></a></blockquote><p>Yeah, but Surface Phone! Don't you know that if they put this thing out then miraculously all the problems with the whole ecosystem will be gone? Surface Phone! It's going to have nine 8K screens, and it'll plug into a little box which will be a holodeck and even Tim Cook will want one. Surface Phone!</p><p>It'll be made out of diamonds and powered by a touch from a unicorn's horn. Surface Phone. If you say it enough it'll come true!</p><p>/s</p>

• Jules Wombat

16 March, 2017 - 9:03 am

<p>iPhone10 and Samsung S9 will have been out by then, and Windows 10 Mobile will still be a just as buggy with no significant compelling features and lack of any Developer interest.</p><p>so all this talk of a mythical "Surface Phone" to save the platform remains irrelevant and pointless.</p>

• Dan

16 March, 2017 - 9:48 am

<p>Yeah! A surphace phone! What what? </p>

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC