Adverts in Office 365 Outlook.

So this morning a half-page pop-up appeared when I opened Outlook 365 on a Windows 10 machine “Do I want personalised or non-personalised adverts for Microsoft products?”

Does anyone wonder why I tend to use Linux, with Libre-Office and Thunderbird mostly these days? Microsoft; you are destroying everything with intrusive Ads. Nadella – you need to get your head out of the clouds (or your ass) and see what is happening. Reverse this crap.

Conversation 14 comments

• miamimauler

19 March, 2022 - 6:19 pm

<p>While I agree that MS placing ads in a paid Windows product is shitty I’m not sure anyone outside of tech sites really cares all that much.</p><p><br></p><p>This is anecdotal only but in my discussions with my non-tech family and friends only on a couple of occasions have ads/promotions in W10 been raised.</p><p><br></p><p>I think ads are just a part of life these days for people. In fact, I’m sure most people barely even register most ads now.</p><p><br></p><p>I’m sorry but despite our hatred of ads in Windows it just doesn’t seem to be an issue for most users.</p>

• navarac

20 March, 2022 - 8:29 am

<p>I reiterate that it covered most of the screen. A one-liner – maybe- most of the screen – NO!</p>

• alsorun

19 March, 2022 - 10:49 pm

<p>Each time I sign in to youtube, I am asked to sign up for their paid premium service. What am I going to do? Is there a Linux alternative to youtube?</p><p><br></p>

• Daishi

Premium Member
      20 March, 2022 - 12:39 am

<p>Yesterday I picked up my iPhone to be greeted by a Lock Screen notification from Apple TV Plus, for which I don’t have an account, informing me that WeCrashed was now available and I could watch the first episode free.</p>

• wright_is

Premium Member
      21 March, 2022 - 1:13 am

<p>Well, you could pay for it, then the advert would disappear.</p><p><br></p><p>These are adverts in the paid-for version of Outlook.</p>

• Daishi

Premium Member
        21 March, 2022 - 1:46 am

<p>Strictly speak what’s described here wasn’t actually an ad. It was a survey.</p>

• alsorun

19 March, 2022 - 11:12 pm

<p>Two other examples. I called my doctor’s office and was put on hold for five minutes. The line kept broadcasting about the hospital’s service. I drive to work and the street is lined up with advertisement boards.</p><p><br></p><p>I am not saying it is a good thing for Microsoft to advertise although some of the product tip is useful. I just want to remind everybody we are in fact surrounded by advertisements. So it feels disingenuine to be so upset when encountered with very small amount of ad on Windows. </p>

• navarac

20 March, 2022 - 8:26 am

<p>It covered most of the f**ing page. A bit different to the one-liner in File Explorer that was moaned about!</p>

• lwetzel

Premium Member
        20 March, 2022 - 5:25 pm

<p>:)</p><p><br></p>

• arjay

20 March, 2022 - 2:24 am

<p>Putting ads in the OS is a particularly nasty thing to do. I was going to leave Windows in 2025 when Win 10 expires. I only use Windows for a couple of specific things, and if they are going to push ads at me, I’ll just shut down the Windows system and move to an ad-free environment. </p>

• anoldamigauser

Premium Member
      21 March, 2022 - 11:25 am

<p>Apparently, you will have to leave MS Office, and OneDrive as well.</p>

• anoldamigauser

Premium Member
    20 March, 2022 - 6:50 pm

<p>I saw the same thing in OneNote 2016 today.</p><p>Dammit. They are screwing with everything.</p>

• wright_is

Premium Member
    21 March, 2022 - 3:56 am

<p>Not getting it on Outlook 365 Family on the Mac or Outlook 365 business on my work’s laptop.</p>

• MattBaker

06 April, 2022 - 4:21 pm

<p>I saw the personalization question for the first time today, when I opened Word. I didn’t get it when I opened Outlook earlier today.</p><p><br></p><p>Last week, I tried to use Edge to look at my Facebook business account. Edge popped up a window offering a discount if I would try advertising on Bing.</p><p><br></p><p>Which means Edge is watching user activity and dropping ads on top of pages.</p><p><br></p><p><br></p>

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC