No reporting on Outlook crashing on startup, Jul 15?

Wasted two hours this morning trying to get Outlook working. I would crash out without any error message seconds after starting. Ran all the repair options built into Windows 10, Downloaded and ran Microsoft Support and Recovery Assistant multiple times, trying out different options, and being told multiple times I had the wrong account type. Ran anti-virus scans.

I finally tried the Microsoft Community and found this link:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/active-investigation-into-outlook-crashing-on-launch-9c59ad4b-813c-432a-afdc-f14717a4528d?ui=en-us&rs=en-us&ad=us

Just pissed off now.

Conversation 7 comments

• miamimauler

15 July, 2020 - 9:42 pm

<p>No reporting? It's on several tech sites I've visited or are you questioning why this site hasn't reported on it?</p><p><br></p><p><br></p>

• olditpro2000

Premium Member
    15 July, 2020 - 11:21 pm

<p>According to Microsoft, this is supposed to be resolved now. I believe it only impacted Click to Run installs of Outlook.</p><p><br></p><p>(Again you'd think an issue as widespread as this was would have been found in testing…oh, wait. Nevermind.)</p>

• wright_is

Premium Member
    16 July, 2020 - 12:15 am

<p>I've updated my machines yesterday morning and was in Outlook all day long, without any problems – Outlook is one of our main tools and where we spend a lot of the day at work, and nobody has reported any issues from our test group that gets the update immediately.</p>

• olditpro2000

Premium Member
      16 July, 2020 - 1:30 am

<blockquote><em><a href="#554241">In reply to wright_is:</a></em></blockquote><p><br></p><p>C2R or MSI for your Office install?</p>

• wright_is

Premium Member
        16 July, 2020 - 5:48 am

<blockquote><em><a href="#554247">In reply to OldITPro2000:</a></em></blockquote><p>C2R on 10 machines (O365 current branch), msi on another 4 (O2016).</p>

• phayz

16 July, 2020 - 5:27 am

<p>Happened on my grandad's system last night (Outlook 2019), just after a Windows Update.</p><p><br></p><p>Reset office (offline &amp; online) and did the sfc check, tried to make a new profile.</p><p><br></p><p>What fixed it was checking for windows updates. There was a 1903 March or Jan update that hadnt been installed. It did that, rebooted the PC and it worked again!</p>

• beckoningeagle

Premium Member
    16 July, 2020 - 10:50 am

<p>It happened in a few of my customers. All running C2R with Current build. Since the patch took a while to arrive I had to rollback to Monthly Enterprise Channel and change build to 2005. I'm going to keep them in that channel, 2 months behind, but free of these surprises on Tax day.</p>

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC