Windows 11 update on MS Surface laptop 7th Gen/8Gb/256GB

Paul, last month I updated my Surface laptop 7th Gen/8Gb/256Gb using the registry key edit [thanks Steve Gibon’s Twitter] to Windows 11.

It’s been receiving updates happily for the last month [update done 13/10]

It’s received all of the cumulative updates, security updates and MSRT. It’s received also a keyboard driver update and the daily security definitions update [ I only run defender]. I’ll happily post the full list if you’d like.

Paul, what’s the likely hood of the rug being pulled out of this setup?

Conversation 4 comments

• Paul Thurrott

Premium Member
    14 November, 2021 - 9:16 am

<p>I cannot imagine Microsoft doing that. It’s just too important to deliver security updates. </p><p><br></p><p>This reminds me a bit of the whole "use a Windows 7 product key to activate Windows 10" thing. Microsoft said it would work for a year but it’s always worked, and it still works with Windows 11. And my guess is that it’s a legal thing. They have to protect themselves from support claims but there’s no harm in just doing it. </p>

• lwetzel

Premium Member
    14 November, 2021 - 5:20 pm

<p><span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">"&nbsp;I updated my Surface laptop 7th Gen/8Gb/256Gb using the registry key edit [thanks Steve Gibon’s Twitter] to Windows 11."</span></p><p><br></p><p><span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">Any more details on what this registry key edit consisted of?</span></p>

• lvthunder

Premium Member
    15 November, 2021 - 1:59 pm

<p>My guess is it’ll work unless they implement a new feature that causes a problem on the older stuff. I don’t think they will ever say you can’t get these updates because we don’t want you to have them. They will only do that if it physically won’t run. Which may or may not happen. Only the people who know the feature roadmap might know, but they aren’t talking.</p>

• digiguy

Premium Member
    16 November, 2021 - 7:29 am

<p>I will try to do this on my 7th gen laptop… in 2025…. I am perfectly fine with W10, and I won’t take the risk before, but once the W10 is ending support, why not take the plunge with a registry hack….</p>

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC