2004 to 20H2 took over one hour

I used Windows 10 Update Assistant to upgrade to 20H2 from 2004 and it took over 1 hour to complete. The download and install in Windows took 5mins but upon rebooting it took an hour updating. The progress stuck at 26% for about 20mins, went to 48%, then 64% and back to 60%. This is curious, considering we are told this is a fast update. I can only conclude that it got stuck on verifying some driver during the reboot. The update wasn’t offered in Windows Update, so maybe it is always best to wait for that.

Conversation 4 comments

• jmwoods301

23 October, 2020 - 8:55 pm

<p>It's only a "fast update" if you get it through Windows Update.</p><p><br></p>

• DavidSlade

Premium Member
      23 October, 2020 - 9:57 pm

<p>Yes, judging from the upgrade folders left on the drive it did a full Windows reinstall.</p><p><br></p>

• madthinus

Premium Member
    24 October, 2020 - 2:36 am

<p>If you go via the upgrade assistant, it is the full installation, not the enablement package that will deploy via Windows Update. </p>

• madthinus

Premium Member
      25 October, 2020 - 4:41 am

<blockquote><em><a href="#588197">In reply to madthinus:</a></em></blockquote><p>And Microrsoft does not make the enablement package available on the catalogue site for stand alone instalment, which i wish they would. </p>

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC