How to skip Microsoft Account setup in Windows 11 Home OOBE.

Yes, you read that right. You CAN skip the Microsoft Account settings in Windows 11 Home Out-of-Box Experience (OOBE). This has been tested on 2 WiFi computers and one Ethernet-connected VM.

Here’s how you do it:

Start the OOBE and make sure you have an Internet connection (I haven’t found a way around this part yet). Go through the first few screens for language options and such.

When you get to the Microsoft Account screen, hit Shift-F10 to open a command prompt.

If you’re on wireless, use this command: netsh wlan disconnect <Enter>

Type exit and hit <Enter>.

Hit the back arrow at the top. You should now be prompted with a basic local user account creation screen.

If you’re on a wired connection, use this command first: netsh interface show interface <Enter>

Find the name of the Ethernet adapter and substitute it in the command below where it says Ethernet. Keep the quotes – it’s used for parsing spaces in case it has a long name.

netsh interface set interface name=”Ethernet” admin=DISABLED <Enter>

Hit back. You should get the same result.

When you get into Windows, you may have to reconnect manually. If you want to do this easily for LAN, go to Settings and Network and use the Troubleshooting options to re-enable it, or else go to Device Manager and enable the device. For WLAN, just use the regular wireless icon beside the clock.

You’re welcome!

Conversation 7 comments

• StevenLayton

16 October, 2021 - 12:59 pm

<p>That seems like an awful hassle to go through. What is the real world gain? Just curious.</p>

• sammyd710730

16 October, 2021 - 4:58 pm

<p>Some people don’t want an MS account, or don’t want to sign into their OS with an MS account. I’m not one of the people that would want to bypass this requirement, however I can understand why some people might want to. It’s just a preference thing.</p>

• lvthunder

Premium Member
      16 October, 2021 - 5:56 pm

<p>The biggest gain is you get to control the name of your home folder.</p>

• rwtodd

16 October, 2021 - 9:06 pm

<p>That’s why I do it… I link to my microsoft account after I get set up, but I always force the local account on setup so I can use the home folder name of my choice.</p>

• red.radar

Premium Member
      17 October, 2021 - 7:45 pm

<p>To turn the question around. Let me ask you what is the benefit to even have a Microsoft Account? I struggle to find real benefits but can think of a few negatives. </p><p><br></p><ol><li>You have another cloud account and your digital footprint is expanded. So its another service to monitor for security breaches and quite frankly its just another service you have to manage. I just want to log into to my computer. I don’t need an experience. </li><li>They have access to your telemetry data and can monetize your usage of your devices. Sure.. we tolerate this for access to the web but should we tolerate this for access to the device itself? We traditionally haven’t.. Why start now?</li></ol><p><br></p><p>Granted. If you already have a microsoft account and utilize their cloud services I see little reason to not login. They have plenty of telemetry data on you through your online session. But I still struggle to see the benefit. Maybe it saves you a few clicks when logging into Office 365? I really fail to see the feature benefit..</p><p><br></p><p><br></p><p><br></p><p><br></p>

• dkrowe

Premium Member
    18 October, 2021 - 9:51 am

<p>Just reinstalled Windows 10 21H1 from USB. When it got to the account screen, unplugged the wired connection, hit the back arrow, and local account creation came right up. Can’t get much easier than that.</p>

• David

30 December, 2022 - 11:00 am

Using the most recent release of Windows 1122 H2 this does not work on a wired connection I get to the point where I want you to type in your Microsoft account name open the command prompt put in the commands which take just fine and then when I hit the back button I get a screen that says oops you’ve lost your internet connection let’s connect you to a network and it’s stuck with a grayed out next button

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC