LTSC 2018 Evaluation is out

Just installed the Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC Evaluation version released a few days ago. Much goodness. Like Windows 7.5 Pro with some added business-oriented features. I had been running the 2016 LTSB eval version; this is much the same, but newer. It will be my daily driver Windows version for the next six months, most likely. I dual-boot it with Xubuntu 18.10. Both are great. I am not a curmudgeon stuck in 2009, btw. I would love to see MSFT develop a retail version of Win 10 with new must-have features and the stability and reliability of LTSC/LTSB. We shall see….

Conversation 5 comments

• Tony Barrett

18 November, 2018 - 1:40 pm

<p>Someone with some common sense. LTSB (or LTSC as it is now) is the ONLY version worth considering if you want a moderately stable release that still gets security patches, but is totally off the bi-annual feature upgrade wheel. No Edge, no cortana, no app store. Windows 7.5 as you say.</p>

• scoop

18 November, 2018 - 2:33 pm

<blockquote><em><a href="#369563">In reply to ghostrider:</a></em></blockquote><p>Yep. I would not mind having Edge to play around with. It has potential. But MSFT has tied in Edge updates so closely to the OS there is no way to lift it out, so to speak. And that's OK. The upside to running LTSC far outweighs it. </p><p><br></p><p>BTW, the evaluation version is good for 90 days and you can re-arm it twice, though it starts nagging you after 60 days. So depending on your tolerance for nagging, you get six to nine months. And then you can re-install it. I will keep reading about how things go with retail Win 10, and hoping….but for now I am happy where I am.</p>

• NT6.1

18 November, 2018 - 4:53 pm

<p>That's the version to go. Home and Pro are unusable with security patches supported for a limited time. If you don't have newer hardware, I would even suggest the 2016 LTSB. Sadly I can't use that one because my new laptop don't have audio drivers for versions older than Creators Update.</p>

• longhorn

18 November, 2018 - 5:12 pm

<p>It's the version that makes sense for everyone, except Insiders on the cutting edge and beta testers on the bi-annual release schedule. It's Windows as a Platform, the successful concept from many years ago.</p><p><br></p><p>I'm surprised Microsoft isn't pushing this version. It would attract a lot of Windows 7 users to Windows 10. MS has good tech, let's put it to good use and reach as many people as possible. People don't really want to use an OS from 2009, it's just that they feel that MS gives them no other option.</p><p><br></p><p>I'm going to install Linux on my dad's PC. If I could buy a legal version of LTSC that would be tempting. Windows 7 has served him very well, but I had updates under tight control. I wonder if that is possible with LTSC?</p><p><br></p><p>I mostly follow Windows 10 development from a distance, like watching a soap opera on TV. But every time someone mentions LTSC, I'm thinking whoa, that would be almost like Windows 7.</p><p><br></p><p>I hope Paul will review this release.</p><p><br></p>

• Kevin Costa

19 November, 2018 - 6:59 am

<p>I use Windows 10 Pro on my main machines (and 10 Home on my laptop). But I keep a copy of the LTSB/LTSC editions with me, just in case MS decides to remove a crucial feature from Home/Pro SKUs going forward, <span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">or want to force something on consumers that no one wants</span>. I really like some of the new features, but I value the essence of Windows, i.e, the freedom to do whatever you want, without a company behaving like Apple on us, imposing what you can do or not.</p>

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC