Microsoft breaks Windows update on Windows 7

Microsoft apparently has made a very stupid mistake which has broken Windows update on Windows 7 machines. See: https://www.computerworld.com/article/3239729/microsoft-windows/windows-update-for-win7-broken-throwing-error-80248015.html

I have verified this on all of my Windows 7 machines. In order to use Windows update you have to set the date back to December 3rd or earlier.

Conversation 3 comments

• jimchamplin

Premium Member
    04 December, 2017 - 6:14 pm

<p>You can still use your Windows 7 key to upgrade to Windows 10.</p>

• csadoian

04 December, 2017 - 6:30 pm

<blockquote><a href="#224253"><em>In reply to jimchamplin:</em></a></blockquote><blockquote><em>Hi Jim,</em></blockquote><blockquote><em>Yes, I know that … I was just pointing out that for the time being many users running Windows 7 apparently will not get their normal security updates until Microsoft fixes this. Not sure how they can do this, since the bug effectively prevents Windows 7 from receiving any automatic updates from MIcrosoft unless you change your system date manually.</em></blockquote><p><br></p>

• jimchamplin

Premium Member
        04 December, 2017 - 9:20 pm

<blockquote><a href="#224255"><em>In reply to csadoian:</em></a></blockquote><p>I thought it would be taken as far more tongue-in-cheek.</p><p><br></p><p>No, it is a serious error, and it's one that could easily happen to Windows 10 as well. It's something that shouldn't have happened and now that it has, should be fixed immediately.</p><p><br></p><p>I've already helped one 7-using friend understand the error thanks to your report. Yeah, I did bug him about upgrading to 10 as well, but at the end of the day I'd rather help him just get his box running and working for him than push him to do anything.</p>

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC