not enough pushback inside Microsoft? (Windows 11)

I’ve read a LOT about Windows 11 and the one thing that really stands out to me is the 6th and especially 7th gen Intel chips not getting official support. Now I understand at the end of the day Microsoft is a business, and inside any company there are disagreements and competing forces, but when you learn about the minimum requirements, it is indeed true that especially the Surface computers that have 6th gen and 7th gen Intel chips, there is literally no technical reason to block these computers from upgrading to Windows 11. I have spent way too much time trying to find a reason, and there simply isn’t. Those Surface computers have all the modern security features and functionality enabled, and we see the 7th gen powered Surface Studio 2 getting official support from Microsoft, which should really outrage Surface customers that have 7th gen Intel chips. What is really concerning is that the people in Microsoft that wanted to block those computers from getting Windows 11 won that battle. Is this because there isn’t enough pushback inside Microsoft? Or is it because the people that made this decision have too much power inside the company? Either way, this is not good and it doesn’t bode well for the future. Going forward, they can and might do whatever they want, and they don’t care if it’s reasonable or not. It really seems like current leadership is reckless. I don’t think Terry Myerson would have allowed them to screw over the 6th gen and 7th gen Intel customers (especially Surface computers), it’s a real shame he’s gone. And Windows 11 is great by the way, which makes this situation even worse. Those 7th gen intel powered Surface customers would have been delighted by Windows 11, and current leadership is so unreasonably greedy that they’re trying to make those people with 2 or 3 year old Surface computers buy new ones…. Ya Microsoft, all those 7th gen Surface customers are going to go buy a new Surface just to get Windows 11, your plan worked brilliantly! /sarcasm

Conversation 16 comments

• Greg Green

26 October, 2021 - 10:16 am

<p>I think MS is just out of touch with users, even though they have telemetry to justify nearly everything they do. Too much of that telemetry comes from limited skill users who won’t try to change any default settings other than chrome.</p>

• wunderbar

Premium Member
      26 October, 2021 - 10:27 am

<p>So…… the vast majority of users then?</p>

• Greg Green

27 October, 2021 - 10:08 am

<p>Yes, judging by my observations at the workplace. 75% or more.</p>

• erichk

Premium Member
    26 October, 2021 - 11:00 am

<p>I feel lucky because my main gaming machine at home has a 9th gen chip, and my laptop has an 8th gen. But if that weren’t the case, I would imagine I would feel a little burned too.</p>

• polloloco51

26 October, 2021 - 12:00 pm

<p>I still cannot understand Microsoft’s reasoning, to shut out such relatively new processors. </p><p><br></p><p>The security requirements make sense (Secure Boot &amp; TPM)</p><p><br></p><p>The processor get requirements, are still very difficult to understand. 2015, 2016′ and 2017 PCs, are not old by any stretch and are modern! </p><p><br></p>

• asdfasedasdfasdf

26 October, 2021 - 11:03 pm

<p>I have a 6800K with 128GB (lab machine), which runs great, so I’m not chucking it any time soon. I just carved out a 100GB paritition on it tonight and installed Win11 on it only so I can confirm over time that feature updates still work with it. If I recall, there was a Win10 version in which they started using some newer CPU feature that resulted in a hard cut-off for older processors. They had to be really old (e.g., I have a Core i5 760 on Win10 21H2). I expect that will happen with some Win11 feature release.</p><p><br></p><p>I imagine I’ll keep it on Win10 until it becomes EOL, and at that point if the Win11 is still getting updates, I’ll upgrade it.</p><p><br></p>

• pete

26 October, 2021 - 2:29 pm

<p>I have clean installed Windows 11 on 3rd and 4th gen chips with no problems whatsoever. <span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">The only real requirements are Secure Boot and TPM.</span></p><p><br></p><p>The chip requirements seem to be for the upgrade process. My guess is that the upgrade tool isn’t as reliable on older machines.</p>

• waethorn

26 October, 2021 - 3:00 pm

<p>The hardware checks are only in Windows Setup, not the Windows image itself. You can easily bypass those checks for either upgrades or clean installs without it affecting the baseline Windows install. You won’t get the new security features that do require updated hardware, but all of the rest of the UI changes work fine. It really just is Windows 10 21H2 with the Sun Valley (Windows 10X) UI.</p>

• waethorn

26 October, 2021 - 2:57 pm

<p>You can just force the upgrade and then you’ll get the new non-security features and a longer lifespan for the PC.</p>

• lwetzel

Premium Member
    26 October, 2021 - 3:26 pm

<p>Running Windows 11 not on Surface Pro 4 with absolutely no problem. I will do so until I can’t. My guess is it will still be running for quite a while.</p><p><br></p>

• lwetzel

Premium Member
      27 October, 2021 - 9:52 am

<p>"<span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">Running Windows 11 not on Surface Pro 4" was supposed to say "Running Windows 11 now on Surface Pro 4". Feel better now that I corrected it.</span></p>

• navarac

27 October, 2021 - 11:10 am

<p>Could do with the "edit" ability returned!</p>

• yaddamaster

27 October, 2021 - 10:03 am

<p>Microsoft betrayed decades worth of precedence…….for no real apparent benefit. Microsoft + Intel has always been about backwards compatibility at a lower cost than competitors (Apple) via less compelling hardware and a less unified UI. But more apps.</p><p><br></p><p>I have historically been able to keep upgrading my machines no matter how old and it’s up to ME to decide when the hardware is simply too slow for me. I had one machine I upgraded all the way from pre-XP to Windows 7. Worked just fine for what I needed it to do.</p><p><br></p><p>Now Microsoft has thrown that away. The app gap doesn’t really exist – if anything the app gap is now against Microsoft’s favor. Many apps I have wanted recently are only on mobile platforms. And the cost differential really isn’t there anymore for high-end hardware. The surface line is ridiculously expensive for what you get. It’s a real possibility my next personal computer will be a M1 based Apple machine.</p>

• lvthunder

Premium Member
    27 October, 2021 - 12:22 pm

<p>The part you are missing is you don’t know the roadmap. Yes, Windows 11 runs fine today on those older chips. Windows 11 is supported for 10 years. Are those new machines still going to be running as great in 2029 or 2030? I doubt it. I suspect when Windows 12 ships they will do the same to processors of that age as well.</p><p><br></p><p>As for Surface Studio 2 when I ran the Upgrade tool it made it past the part where it made you run the PC Health Check App but failed the part in the Windows Installer itself saying Unsupported Processor. I didn’t want to force it since this is a work machine</p>

• hrlngrv

Premium Member
    27 October, 2021 - 4:11 pm

<p>Taking a different perspective from other commenters, where’s the benefit for Windows 11 over Windows 10 other than the claimed hardware-based security improvements? Snap groups on the + side vs lobotomized taskbar on the – side.</p><p><br></p><p>What rational PC user (a category which EXCLUDES ALL OF US here or who comment in any other tech blog) would want to use Windows 11 before 22H2? By simple process of entropy some PCs with older processors today will need to be replaced by PC with newer processors a year hence.</p>

• aelaan

27 October, 2021 - 9:49 pm

<p>So…. Is it really Microsoft that is doing this… See Microsoft does not make Intel chips, yet the advertisements is all about Microsoft and Intel. Is it maybe Intel that wants to push their 11 and 12th gen to the consumer market and use Microsoft to carry some of the load? There is really no need to run Windows 11, not in its current state. Drivers are being pushed in the background and all of a sudden my 32 inch screen refreshes as if the power went out. I don’t think Microsoft should carry the blame about this by itself, but they will figure it out in the next six months, or maybe not. What was the minimum AMD chip that was needed again?</p>

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC