PCWorld article on Windows 10 S Mode

PCWorld is running an article saying that the new S Mode will be default somehow.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3252103/windows/microsoft-making-windows-10-s-default-with-new-versions.html

It seems too early to know this. I have read many comments now, mostly reddit, where people are implying that it will be normal for buyers of the Pro SKU to be hit with the $50 fee post purchase.

This is all jumping the gun right? Am I missing some information? I thought it was still very nebulous as to if OEMs would ship mostly in S mode or not.

Conversation 3 comments

• skane2600

04 February, 2018 - 6:03 pm

<p>I think it's too early to know for sure. Some of the details are still in the "Surface Phone" stage of rumors IMO.</p>

• Roger Ramjet

05 February, 2018 - 12:13 am

<p>If the information obtained by Brad Sams is correct, then the OEMs have an incentive to ship the S mode product, that is the assumption. And then the consumer can change that, for free if they don't like the S mode. So Microsoft is in essence eating costs because they feel confident that many users (60% by their estimate) will stay in S mode. That is their objective. </p><p>OTOH, there is a hyper hysteria need freeware (same as Thurrott readers who dont want to pay :-)) quality to the internet, whoever may be complaining about being "hit" with a $50 fee is part of that. The price probably does not change to get the pro SKU, only it gives a person who wants to stay in S mode a $50 discount. If the noise is loud enough, Microsoft have the ability to change their plans for the pro SKU in one way or another so that it is less transparent to the end use buyer that they pay $50 out of their pocket to get it. </p>

• nicova

07 February, 2018 - 4:03 am

<p>You always can publish something absorbing that does not waste minutes of your life like what you see on countless other sites. This is very interesting and I will be back for more. Thanks for sharing</p><p><br></p>

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC