Redstone 4 update.

Isn’t it weird that Microsoft still hasn’t announced what the update will be called or the major features? It’s Nov. 1 and they’re very quiet.

Conversation 7 comments

• paulkocz

Premium Member
    01 November, 2017 - 9:59 pm

<p>Maybe they will just spend the next 6 months fixing all the little (big) things that don't work. Edge, Copy/Paste, etc. Some of this would just be good to have working it should in a stable OS. They keep improving the OS, but 6 months of REAL bug fixes would be great.</p><p><br></p><p>But, agreed it is strange.</p>

• anchovylover

02 November, 2017 - 12:08 am

<blockquote><a href="#212685"><em>In reply to paulkocz:</em></a></blockquote><p>MS really needs to do something about Edge. According to NetMarketShare its usage numbers have fallen off a cliff these past two months. It's even worse when you consider that W10 has increased by 4% since January.</p>

• hrlngrv

Premium Member
        02 November, 2017 - 1:40 am

<p><a href="#212697"><em>In reply to anchovylover:</em></a></p><p>Depends on your data source. Netmarketshare shows a decline from 5.66% at the end of August 2017 to 4.58% at the end of October 2017, but StatCounter shows an increase from 3.95% to 4.43% at the same points in time.</p><p>However, the underlying point is sound: Edge is going nowhere. IE usage remains significantly higher than Edge usage. If Edge can't even beat out IE, what hope does it have to take on Chrome and Firefox?</p><p>My own guess why Windows Phone/Mobile failed was primarily aesthetics, which I inferred in part from Windows Phone/Mobile doing so much worse across Asia except in the one Asian country which uses Latin characters for its native language, Vietnam. I figured that Windows Phone/Mobile just isn't (OK, wasn't) as good as iOS or Android at handling non-Western writing systems. The same seems to hold for Edge, which has less than half the usage in Asia that it has worldwide <strong><em>despite</em></strong> Windows 10 usage in Asia being <strong><em>higher</em></strong> than worldwide.</p><p>Basically, 90% or so of Windows users just won't care whether MSFT fixes Edge or not because they're never going to use it. From that perspective, fixing Edge should be a low priority for MSFT.</p>

• Polycrastinator

02 November, 2017 - 8:54 am

<blockquote><a href="#212701"><em>In reply to hrlngrv:</em></a></blockquote><p>I think your final point is correct: most users won't care. I think we're at the point where, given the choice, most folks will use Chrome and it's just not going to change. It's reliable and good enough. I say this as someone who does use Edge as their primary browser because I have few extension needs (Lastpass, uBlock Origin) and I prefer how it renders things, but honestly there's not enough of an advantage that if it went away tomorrow it would have an impact on my workflow.</p>

• MutualCore

03 November, 2017 - 11:20 pm

<blockquote><a href="#212734"><em>In reply to Polycrastinator:</em></a></blockquote><p>I'd consider switching to Edge if they ever got to feature parity with Chrome, now that Edge is on iOS/Android, just to spite Google.</p>

• Brad Sams

Premium Member
    02 November, 2017 - 8:28 am

<p>They arent announcing it becuase they dont want to miss more deadlines (my people, timeline, cloud clipboard etc)</p>

• MutualCore

03 November, 2017 - 11:18 pm

<blockquote><a href="#212732"><em>In reply to brad-sams:</em></a></blockquote><p>So you are saying Timeline, cloud clipboard, pick up will all be pushed out to Redstone 5….</p>

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC