Redstone 4 update.

Isn’t it weird that Microsoft still hasn’t announced what the update will be called or the major features? It’s Nov. 1 and they’re very quiet.

Comments (7)

7 responses to “Redstone 4 update.”

1. paulkocz

Maybe they will just spend the next 6 months fixing all the little (big) things that don't work. Edge, Copy/Paste, etc. Some of this would just be good to have working it should in a stable OS. They keep improving the OS, but 6 months of REAL bug fixes would be great.

But, agreed it is strange.

• anchovylover

In reply to paulkocz:

MS really needs to do something about Edge. According to NetMarketShare its usage numbers have fallen off a cliff these past two months. It's even worse when you consider that W10 has increased by 4% since January.

• hrlngrv

In reply to anchovylover:

Depends on your data source. Netmarketshare shows a decline from 5.66% at the end of August 2017 to 4.58% at the end of October 2017, but StatCounter shows an increase from 3.95% to 4.43% at the same points in time.

However, the underlying point is sound: Edge is going nowhere. IE usage remains significantly higher than Edge usage. If Edge can't even beat out IE, what hope does it have to take on Chrome and Firefox?

My own guess why Windows Phone/Mobile failed was primarily aesthetics, which I inferred in part from Windows Phone/Mobile doing so much worse across Asia except in the one Asian country which uses Latin characters for its native language, Vietnam. I figured that Windows Phone/Mobile just isn't (OK, wasn't) as good as iOS or Android at handling non-Western writing systems. The same seems to hold for Edge, which has less than half the usage in Asia that it has worldwide despite Windows 10 usage in Asia being higher than worldwide.

Basically, 90% or so of Windows users just won't care whether MSFT fixes Edge or not because they're never going to use it. From that perspective, fixing Edge should be a low priority for MSFT.

• Polycrastinator

In reply to hrlngrv:

I think your final point is correct: most users won't care. I think we're at the point where, given the choice, most folks will use Chrome and it's just not going to change. It's reliable and good enough. I say this as someone who does use Edge as their primary browser because I have few extension needs (Lastpass, uBlock Origin) and I prefer how it renders things, but honestly there's not enough of an advantage that if it went away tomorrow it would have an impact on my workflow.

2. Brad Sams

They arent announcing it becuase they dont want to miss more deadlines (my people, timeline, cloud clipboard etc)

Leave a Reply