Windows 10 Upgrade

I now get this. A one year old laptop is not yet compatible?

Conversation 13 comments

• jlmerrill

18 June, 2019 - 1:06 am

<p>Sorry my graphic didn't make it.</p>

• coeus89

18 June, 2019 - 7:54 am

<blockquote><em><a href="#435932">In reply to jlmerrill:</a></em></blockquote><p>I am sure you will get it eventually. Especially if your computer is only a year old. MS is being very cautious and slow with the deployment of this update.</p>

• wright_is

Premium Member
    18 June, 2019 - 3:33 am

<p>Not sure what the image says… But there are many factors.</p><p>For example many Intel and other third party drivers had problems that needed to be fixed, before the PC could be upgraded. Likewise some AV software and older applications can also put a stopper on the upgrade.</p><p>https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-information/status-windows-10-1903</p><p>So, make sure your drivers and applications are up to date. </p><p>Possibly uninstall your AV software, if it hasn't been updated to be compatible…</p>

• Tony Barrett

18 June, 2019 - 7:45 am

<p>Unusual, but MS have complete control over which hardware get's Windows 10 upgrades. They came up with this vague 'supported lifetime' definition statement early on, which is meant to determine which machines can get it, and when those updates will stop. Who control's this though – Microsoft do of course. One of the reasons for this was so MS could try and kickstart PC sales/upgrades – if MS say your hardware is no longer supported – I guess they expect you to go out and buy new Windows hardware that is!</p><p>To reduce the risk of major issues with the 19H1 release, it seems MS are being ultra-cautious about which machines get it. Literally any PC that falls outside their current supported parameters will be refused the upgrade – for now.</p>

• crp0908

18 June, 2019 - 8:05 am

<p>Do you have any USB drives or SD cards plugged in to your PC? If so, unplug them and try the upgrade again.</p>

• bharris

26 June, 2019 - 6:08 pm

<blockquote><a href="#435971"><em>In reply to crp0908:</em></a><em> I thought that had been fixed but evidently not. I have a brand new Ryzen system that said it was incompatible. I just cut the power on my external drives, turned it back on &amp; update proceeded fine so, well as of about a week ago, that issue is still there. After update, powered the drives back on &amp; it has worked perfectly since. They really need to fix that.</em></blockquote><p><br></p>

• Kevin Costa

18 June, 2019 - 8:39 am

<p>I upgraded my 2011 rig to 1903 and it's working flawlessly. Don't worry, your hardware is compatible (and will be compatible for the next decade or so), you'll receive the update soon.</p>

• TheJoeFin

Premium Member
    18 June, 2019 - 9:21 am

<p>I am also having issues updating my custom PC to 1903. Unfortunately the dialog boxes and popups are not helpful and are super annoying. I get several notifications each saying something a little different with no clear solution or diagnosis. There is a loop of "Updates could not be installed, click here to fix" which loads the settings app which tries to install and checks to see if the update is compatible then it says "this PC can't be upgraded to Windows 10" no action needed, but no clues as to what is the issue. When I exit that box I get two toast notifications saying updates could not be installed "click here to fix" which starts the loop again. It really highlights the Windows team's inability to make a coherent user experience. </p>

• Winner

26 June, 2019 - 6:00 pm

<blockquote><em><a href="#435982">In reply to TheJoeFin:</a></em></blockquote><p>I tried to update my custom built Win 7 PC and the upgrade kept failing as I played around for hours with error messages and repeated attempts. I then just got a second SSD and installed Win 10 clean on that and reinstalled all my software.</p><p><br></p><p>A couple of days of work to get the newest OS with worse features than the one I came from.</p>

• jlmerrill

25 June, 2019 - 10:23 pm

<p>I finally got 1903 today!!</p>

• Lauren Glenn

26 June, 2019 - 10:38 pm

<p>Just download the ISO from the media creation tool, use Rufus to create it on a flash drive, and then run setup.exe from within Windows.</p>

• wright_is

Premium Member
      27 June, 2019 - 12:28 am

<blockquote><em><a href="#437970">In reply to alissa914:</a></em></blockquote><p>Or even just mount the finished ISO, you only need the Rufused stick if you are booting from it.</p>

• waethorn

27 June, 2019 - 10:04 am

<blockquote><em><a href="#437970">In reply to alissa914:</a></em></blockquote><p>WHAT?!? The Media Creation Tool will write it to a USB stick for you.</p>

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC