Windows 11 – buggy

Hi,

I took the prompt to upgrade to WIndows 11 this week. I’m finding it all quite buggy:

Widgets opens then crashes out, Meet Now/Chat won’t open, Teams crashes out, WhatsApp desktop won’t open, Messenger won’t open.

I’ve tried a Windows repair (with keep my files option), sfc /scannow and various other options. Has anyone else come up against this? The laptop previously ran Win10 really well, naturally.

Ta.

Conversation 13 comments

• simont

Premium Member
    06 November, 2021 - 1:34 pm

<p>I do like Windows 11 but it was released too soon. It needed another few months of bug fixes. </p><p><br></p><p>There was also a certificate that expired this week that caused issues with apps. You may need to check Windows update.</p>

• hrlngrv

Premium Member
      06 November, 2021 - 10:50 pm

<p>| <em>but it was released too soon</em></p><p><br></p><p>Wrong perspective. There are sheep to be shorn. It’s being released barely in time for a holiday 2021 fleecing.</p>

• winner

06 November, 2021 - 11:52 pm

<p>You are the beta tester.</p>

• ghostrider

07 November, 2021 - 6:02 am

<p>Exactly. Windows is in perpetual Beta now – infact, anything released ‘as a service’ is. Ship it now, fix it later (although the ‘fix it later’ part is subjective). Windows 10 wasn’t even really viable for at least 18 months after release.</p>

• simont

Premium Member
        07 November, 2021 - 12:08 pm

<p>As I think Paul has said before, this is a software industry problem of ship now and fix later. How many other products do we see that have massive Day 1 patches to fix problems they know exist.</p>

• sherlockholmes

Premium Member
    07 November, 2021 - 4:01 am

<p>THere is absolutely no reason whatsoever to use Windows 11 just now. Its simply not ready. </p>

• jchampeau

Premium Member
      09 November, 2021 - 1:10 pm

<p>There are a few reasons. For instance, if you’re a developer you may want to test your apps in it and if you’re an IT consultant or service provider and your customers want to run it, you would need to be familiar with it.</p>

• moruobai

07 November, 2021 - 1:45 pm

<p>Yup. Super buggy software. There’s even an error with snipping tool that some are fixing by manually setting the date. lol. </p><p><br></p><p>Sick and tired of this stuff just not working right. Been using Windows since 3.1. Took the plunge about bought a Mac with an M1. </p>

• jchampeau

Premium Member
      09 November, 2021 - 1:13 pm

<p>I’ve been a Windows user since 3.0. As a fellow 30ish year Windows user, what do you think of macOS? I’m using it right now on an M1 MacBook Air and I keep finding ways in which I’m limited or slowed down by it.</p>

• moruobai

10 November, 2021 - 8:42 am

<p>Not sure yet… arrives in a week or so. Should be somewhat of a learning curve, and productivity will likely be down some. </p><p><br></p><p>That said, looking forward to having my phone integrate directly with the computer. Also optimistic I won’t be spending so much time troubleshooting stupid things like network settings that were working fine one week prior, or, a muted sound system after sleep. </p><p><br></p><p>I still have machines running Windows 3.1, 98SE, XP, 7, 10 &amp; 11 so I can always scratch an itch if I need to.</p>

• Stokkolm

09 November, 2021 - 1:47 am

<p>I tried switching to Manjaro this past weekend due to issues as you’ve described as well as Microsoft’s incessant need to advertise in Windows and in Edge. I did not make it one day before running back to Windows 11. Manjaro/KDE was buggier by far.</p>

• chanms

09 November, 2021 - 1:41 pm

<p>I have been using Win11 since RTM and I don’t have any of the issues that you have mentioned.</p>

• dexman335

09 November, 2021 - 3:09 pm

<p>I’ve updated my Surface Pro 7 and a Dell laptop at my church to Windows 11. No issues with either unit. ?</p>

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC