Windows 11…the return of Windows

Hi All,

I can’t help but notice how much of Windows Vista and 7 is being restored for Windows 11. From the translucent sidebar that housed the Windows Gadgets in Vista to the glass everywhere effects of Windows 7 to the fact that rounded corners on windows were present in XP, Vista and 7 and are now being brought back as if it is some fantastic new feature. Even the little glimpse we got of the update File explorer harkens back to the way it looked in Vista. The only really new UI is the updated taskbar and Start menu.

Did anyone else notice that a lot of what was shown is just more undoing of elements of Windows 8 and returning to the way things were?

Conversation 6 comments

• darkgrayknight

Premium Member
    29 June, 2021 - 1:34 pm

<p>I think it is more of a realized merger of the past Windows versions including the better parts of touch experience with the better visuals of the past. Windows 8 was actually nice to use with touch, they just left behind what made it work well with mouse and keyboard. We’re finally at the better point where any UI tool is nicely workable: touch, keyboard, mouse, stylus/inking, voice, etc.</p>

• lvthunder

Premium Member
    29 June, 2021 - 4:14 pm

<p>The looks of software are just like fashion. Fads go in style and out of style only to come back in style later.</p>

• hrlngrv

Premium Member
    29 June, 2021 - 6:52 pm

<p>If women were still wearing dresses, the hemlines would change on roughly the same schedule as rounded vs sharp corners in Windows. What once was fresh &amp; new will become dated and cheesy until it again becomes fresh &amp; new. Surprising Windows hasn’t yet had an avocado, pumpkin and harvest gold color theme.</p><p><br></p><p>Despite all the tiny steps forward, I want taskbar toolbars, a feature I’ve been using for decades at this point. Not pinned icons. I cram the toolbar right up against the system tray so that there’s only a narrow button displaying <strong>»</strong> next to the <strong>^</strong> indicating the group of hidden notification icons. I keep links to documentation files in toolbars, files I need occasionally rather than regularly. I’ve had to put them into my Open Shell menu now that Windows 11’s taskbar no longer supports toolbars, and now I have to get used to them on the WRONG SIDE of my taskbar.</p><p><br></p><p>Just happy I’m used to my taskbar being at the bottom of the screen.</p><p><br></p><p>Few Windows users using toolbars vs pinned icons would be the most likely reason MSFT deprecated toolbars. With Internet Explorer finally going the way of Bob and Clippy, MSFT may want to eliminate <strong>%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer</strong>, whence <strong>Quick Launch</strong> lies.</p><p><br></p><p>I’ll just have to wait and hope Stardock fixes this. There is a 3rd party utility which puts a user-specified popup menu into the system tray, but it costs US$40. I may break down and buy it, but not yet.</p>

• hrlngrv

Premium Member
      29 June, 2021 - 7:42 pm

<p>FWIW, there seems to be no way to disable the taskbar clock in Windows 11. Settings &gt; Personalization &gt; Taskbar lacks anything for turning system icons on/off in the notification area. This seems more Windows 10X Undead than Windows 11.</p>

• lwetzel

Premium Member
      30 June, 2021 - 12:04 pm

<p>What is the "<span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">Open Shell menu" you refer to. I do use toolbars also but shove them to the left past the open applications area. </span></p>

• hrlngrv

Premium Member
        30 June, 2021 - 1:49 pm

<p>Open Shell is the open source successor to Classic Shell, a Start menu replacement. I’ve been using it for years at this point to replace Windows’s own Start menu since Windows 7. I may well be a luddite, but I prefer a Windows 2K Start menu with a search box. For me, all the extraneous eyewash since XP has been unwelcome, but at least XP included a <em>Classic</em> Start menu.</p><p><br></p><p>So I mean I replaced toolbars in the taskbar with submenus in the 3rd party Start menu I use.</p><p><br></p><p>If I could pin a FOLDER which opened in Windows’s own Start menu as a submenu rather than opening the directory in File Explorer, I might be willing to give the new Start menu more of a chance.</p><p><br></p><p>Through Windows 10, Windows has been a lot more customizable than MacOS/OSX/macOS. It appears that may be changing, and for me that would be a VERY BAD THING. I have no problem with MSFT making the defaults whatever MSFT believes would be most appealing to most Windows users AS LONG AS it were possible to override those defaults.</p>

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC