Question for 10 8?

Questions for the podcast? Drop them here.

Conversation 20 comments

• mrpki

07 October, 2021 - 1:11 pm

<p>How about this for and ending question of the week? Windows 11 is out and everyone is talking about the UX and the new store, but why is nobody talking about the new WSL (Linux) updates? Is that not a major upgrade?</p>

• usman

Premium Member
      08 October, 2021 - 7:39 am

<p>I believe the WSL features are also part of Windows 10 21H2. Secondly, it’s not widely used by regular people, mainly for developers (like myself).</p><p><br></p><p>As a WSL user and a developer that works with docker, I have been contemplating about going full-time with a distro like Zorin or Elementary OS since my PC isn’t officially "supported" by Windows 11. </p><p><br></p>

• staggersteve

Premium Member
    07 October, 2021 - 1:48 pm

<p>Hi Brad, first time questioner. I’m looking to pick up a used Surface Pro X to play around with as a travel laptop. Normally when I purchase second hand PCs, I perform a clean install from an ISO since I don’t trust the previous owner’s data &amp; software wipe. I know there’s the reset feature built into Windows but I prefer a USB installer for my own sanity. I noticed that there is no ARM installer media for Windows 10 besides the Insider Preview download. Is there an official media installer from Microsoft that I just haven’t searched for correctly or am I stuck with the Insider Preview? Thanks!</p>

• brothernod

Premium Member
    07 October, 2021 - 4:31 pm

<p>As you step back from journalism as your primary income stream, do you think you’ve leaked your last exclusive?</p>

• madthinus

Premium Member
    07 October, 2021 - 4:44 pm

<p>Do we have a time frame yet for when the new Microsoft store is coming to Windows 10?</p>

• madthinus

Premium Member
      08 October, 2021 - 4:12 am

<p>Or any of the cross generation features in general? </p>

• Migui

07 October, 2021 - 5:35 pm

<p>Do you think that my Asus laptop with an i5 of 7th gen will ever get the windows 11 update ? And Do yo think that Microsoft will really leave by themselves those who use unsupported hardware, or they will be supporting them with accumulative updates?</p>

• confusedgeek

07 October, 2021 - 5:39 pm

<p>Hi brad hope you are well. </p><p><br></p><p>can you see a future where game pass will only offer Xbox exclusives?</p><p><br></p><p>I just trying to figure out why they haven’t moved from the one hundred number. </p>

• rubbb3rduck

07 October, 2021 - 5:52 pm

<p>Microsoft acquired ClipChamp (which is to my understanding a webapp). Also xbox partnered with Medal. And xbox is notorious for having bad clip editing software. Could it be that the goal is to have people upload unedited footage to medal and the have them edit it with ClipChamp on whatever device they choose? </p>

• rubbb3rduck

07 October, 2021 - 5:53 pm

<p>Hi Brad btw and congrats with the new job! </p>

• yb

Premium Member
    07 October, 2021 - 6:48 pm

<p>Hi Brad,</p><p><br></p><p>congratulations on your new job, glad to see that you are able to continue broadcasting on Thurott! </p><p>a question about taskbar and start11:</p><p><br></p><p>On Win10, due to poor eyesight, I change the display scale to 150%, which increases the width of the taskbar, so I move it sideways to avoid losing too much horizontal display area.</p><p>Win11 does not allow moving the taskbar sideways, so I was hoping that a software package would enable that.</p><p>Start 11 only allows moving the taskbar up and not sideways. Is that because of a technical issue [Microsoft]? </p><p>I must admit that I do not understand why Microsoft decided to disable the ability to move the taskbar sideways or up, it is a simple matter of a display option- or am I missing something? many thanks for your excellent report! YB</p><p><br></p>

• Pulagatha

07 October, 2021 - 7:15 pm

<p>Two questions. Is there any chance that Microsoft plans to make their apps, not just Your Phone, cross platform with Android? Also, When Microsoft was working on Windows 10X is there any chance that they continued that work with regard to making a cleaner version of Windows and maybe toned down the containerized idea?</p>

• lindhartsen

Premium Member
    07 October, 2021 - 8:43 pm

<p>What’s been your experience, and what have you heard in general, about Surface hardware reliability? Would you say they seem as reliable as hardware from other OEMs, or do they seem to have niche problems others don’t?</p>

• kkrunner7777

07 October, 2021 - 9:38 pm

<p>Hey Brad,</p><p><br></p><p>Computer question. I currently use an XPS13 9310 i7, 32GB, 2T – Do you think if I get MS SurfaceLaptop Suite see an increase in performance. I us the XPS for work, home and want to pay some games. I have xbox ultimate </p>

• kkrunner7777

07 October, 2021 - 9:44 pm

<p><span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">Computer question. I currently use an XPS13 9310 i7, 32GB, 2T – Do you think if I get MS SurfaceLaptop Suite I will see an increase in performance. I us the XPS for work, home and want to pay some games. I have xbox ultimate. I’m looking at the SurfaceLaptopSuite 32GB, 2TB</span></p>

• kkrunner7777

07 October, 2021 - 9:57 pm

<p><span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">Correction-Computer question. I currently use an XPS13 9310 i7, 32GB, 2T – Do you think if I get MS SurfaceLaptopstudioI will see an increase in performance. I us the XPS for work, home and want to pay some games. I have xbox ultimate. I’m looking at the SurfaceLaptopstudio 32GB, 2TB- darn spellcheck </span></p>

• bncz1

Premium Member
    07 October, 2021 - 10:54 pm

<p>Is there anything in the Stardock world that replaces the Windows 10 taskbar labels and never combine setting? It’s gone in Windows 11</p>

• madthinus

Premium Member
    08 October, 2021 - 4:15 am

<p>Windows 11: Do we now wait for a year for the remainder of the features to arrive in the next big bang release. Or will Microsoft turn them on monthly as and when they are ready? Making the yearly candescence basically just a roll up point? </p>

• jnbck

08 October, 2021 - 8:26 am

<p>What is the timeframe for android app availability on Windows 11?</p>

• bgoodbody

Premium Member
    17 October, 2021 - 9:58 am

<p>Based on 3 machines experience, It looks like pictures need to reside on local machine for the lock screen to work.</p>

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC