Questions for 1/26?

Put them here, thanks!

Conversation 12 comments

• TJWimsly

25 January, 2018 - 5:07 pm

<p>Will you be buying a homepod since you have so many other smart speakers?</p>

• Yman71

Premium Member
    25 January, 2018 - 5:27 pm

<p>Any idea how we can protect ourselves against Spectre if our PC manufacturer has not issued a BIOS update yet? I have a 2012 era Dell XPS that has not yet been updated. Thanks for any advice you can offer. </p>

• jimchamplin

Premium Member
    25 January, 2018 - 6:21 pm

<p>Is there anything to the Polaris project they’re crowing about over at Windows Central?</p>

• williamg

Premium Member
    25 January, 2018 - 7:57 pm

<p>Based on what you saw at CES, or your general awesomeness, are you aware of any good, recent or soon-to-be-released 13 inch laptops in the $750 range that charge via USB-C? I'm in the market for a new laptop, and would prefer not to have to carry around a proprietary charging brick.</p>

• Jhambi

25 January, 2018 - 8:54 pm

<p>Which city will land Amazon HQ2 ?</p>

• hrlngrv

Premium Member
    25 January, 2018 - 9:38 pm

<p>Has MSFT released anything about active monthly users of Windows 10 S?</p><p>Are there any rumors of any OEM making laptops with 3:2 screens? I know Surface laptops have 3:2 screens, but for me their keyboards are unusable (movement keys).</p>

• SteveM

26 January, 2018 - 3:52 am

<p>Will Cortana been on more 3rd party speakers like Sonos One and will skills move out of US to the rest of the world.</p>

• Peter klobčič

26 January, 2018 - 7:31 am

<p>I have 2 questions:</p><ol><li>what new devices do you expect from surface this year and what devices do you think will be refreshed this year.</li><li>why cant i use msft account to sign in to your website :D</li></ol>

• Usman

Premium Member
    26 January, 2018 - 8:32 am

<p>Would like to know if you know more about Polaris, the Windows Central post was really confusing, from the gist of things, it looks like Windows, smells like Windows but isn't Windows. It has no legacy but does on demand (scratching head on that, since the legacy code has to be on the disk somewhere in order for things to work)) and that Polaris is a light weight OS and not for professionals or gamers.</p><p><br></p><p>At that point it becomes even more confusing, a lot of PC enthusiasts (gamers, developers, pros etc), especially kids, start off on their home PCs, which can do all the things the pro things can but just not as good. </p><p><br></p><p>Imagine a family spending $300-$400 on a Polaris laptop (same range as a chromebook or ipad) and then little Jimmy or Sarah see a video of how to make videos or how to program and they're using something that looks like Windows, but then they can't do those things or can't use a program of their choosing. So for $300-$400 they got a 'bad' version of windows as opposed to the one that currently can do the things they want to do.</p><p><br></p><p>Isn't this just another RT situation, since you can't upgrade Polaris to Win 10?</p><p><br></p><p>I understand it's not for pro-sumers, however they're going down the wrong rabbit hole if they call it anything to do with 'Windows', unless it has the word 'Lite' at the end.</p>

• ponsaelius

26 January, 2018 - 8:36 am

<p>With the Surface Laptop having the option of Windows 10 Pro rather than "S" is there really a future for a version of Windows that is less than full featured?</p>

• Tourniquet

26 January, 2018 - 8:48 am

<p>Hey Brad, what's going on with Windows IoT? </p><p><br></p><p>Last Insider Preview we've got was RS4 17035 back in November. Was is cut too? </p><p><br></p><p>Windows IoT was always kind of 'based' on Windows 10 Mobile. Is it going to be merged with Windows Core OS too?</p>

• thespecificocean

26 January, 2018 - 11:13 am

<p>Alright here we go. Interested in a discussion about "Polaris." </p><ul><li>Should it even be called Windows?</li><li>Should it be free and distributed like Linux? Downloadable and customizable. This is useful for older slower computers, makers, diy IOT types. </li><li>PWA + UWP?</li><li>I assume x86/ARM?</li></ul><p><br></p><p>I already can hear Thurrott's responses in my head haha. </p>

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC