Questions for 12/9 podcast

Put em here!

Conversation 13 comments

Premium Member
    08 December, 2016 - 5:20 pm

<p>Did I do this right?</p>
    <p>Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Vivamus eget nulla vitae ante iaculis laoreet. Phasellus id metus nec nunc vulputate gravida sed a neque. Vivamus eget lectus auctor, mollis ipsum commodo, cursus orci. Nam at nisl vel nisi malesuada lacinia a cursus lectus. Aliquam ut dolor massa. Pellentesque eleifend fermentum scelerisque. Praesent in purus tortor. Interdum et malesuada fames ac ante ipsum primis in faucibus. Donec non velit eget elit tincidunt vestibulum ac eu dolor. Donec non congue elit. Mauris efficitur erat viverra felis eleifend, vitae consectetur enim feugiat. Aenean vulputate imperdiet nulla, eget placerat eros volutpat a.</p>

Premium Member
      08 December, 2016 - 7:24 pm

<blockquote><em><a href="#29483">In reply to </a><a href="../../../../users/WithinRafael">WithinRafael</a><a href="#29483">:</a></em></blockquote>
      <p>Fired.&nbsp;</p>

09 December, 2016 - 6:14 am

<blockquote><em><a href="#29521">In reply to </a><a href="../../../../users/jr.flynn">jr.flynn</a><a href="#29521">:</a></em></blockquote>
        <p>it’s actually not any language at all – it’s considered pseudo-latin fragments taken from&nbsp;Ciceros De finibus bonorum et malorum </p>

09 December, 2016 - 9:21 am

<blockquote><em><a href="#29613">In reply to </a><a href="../../../../users/jr.flynn">jr.flynn</a><a href="#29613">:</a></em></blockquote>
          <p>oops my bad. must be some americanism. like using the French word for starters (entr&eacute;e) for the main meal, or GWB "The problem with the French is that they don’t have a word for entrepreneur."</p>
          <p>:-)</p>

09 December, 2016 - 7:54 am

<blockquote><em><a href="#29483">In reply to </a><a href="../../../../users/WithinRafael">WithinRafael</a><a href="#29483">:</a>&nbsp;Take your pick</em></blockquote>
      <blockquote><em>http://www.zombieipsum.com/</em></blockquote&gt;
      <blockquote><em>http://lorizzle.nl/</em></blockquote&gt;
      <blockquote><em>http://slipsum.com/</em></blockquote&gt;
      <p>&nbsp;</p>

08 December, 2016 - 6:40 pm

<p>1.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Will Microsoft kill of &bdquo;Windows Mobile&ldquo;?</p>
    <p>They showed the full Windows on ARM for &bdquo;devices&ldquo;. Of course right now they can&rsquo;t put it on phone as long as CShell is not complete and they can&rsquo;t make it work via Continuum right now.</p>
    <p>But what about the future? Will Microsoft Kill Windows Mobile? Killing Windows Mobile would mean all Devices we have right now won&rsquo;t have a future anymore. Killing Windows Mobile would mean they don&rsquo;t have a platform for very very low end devices. Having support for x86 compability and the full windows, you can&rsquo;t put this on a 8GB device.</p>
    <p>Also I think they still have the need for devices that don&rsquo;t run legacy Apps. While that might be great for many reasons, it might be very bad for other reasons as well.</p>
    <p>2.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Why did they choose only Qualcomm?</p>
    <p>&nbsp;If you think about Surface 1 &amp; 2 they were running on a Nvidia Tegra and they were testing even on Texas Instruments back then. Was this a choice by Microsoft, at least the partnership seems stronger, or was it because NVIDIA etc wouldn&rsquo;t work with them?</p>

Premium Member
    09 December, 2016 - 4:10 am

<p>Why did Microsoft never advertise the Windows 10 Mobile update to eligible Windows Phone 8.1 devices. I know about 1/2 the devices were ineligible, but for those that were, why didn’t they push out an update notification to them? You have to know to goto the Store and download an app called "Update Advisor" before you’re offered the update. This is probably a big part of the reason that 80ish% of devices are still on 8.1.</p>
    <p>Why wouldn’t you want to get the users who are eligible onto your latest platform, with UWP (and working Skype app). It’s the complete opposite of the desktop strategy. They strongly pushed&nbsp;10 upon people, but with mobile, you have to go looking for it. Very strange.</p>

09 December, 2016 - 7:49 am

<p>Do you thing in future SB releases the "power base" will be WinTel (i.e., poooooower!) and the Tablet (clipbaord?) will be WinARM (i.e., power sipping hipster hanger-on-er)? Technically too difficult? Erm, suppose that’s kinda like a docking system. Hhmm.</p>

09 December, 2016 - 8:47 am

<blockquote><em><a href="#29614">In reply to </a><a href="../../../../users/jr.flynn">jr.flynn</a><a href="#29614">:</a></em></blockquote>
      <p>Yeh, thought it maybe difficult becuase of something like that. Guess I’ll find out at Build next year whether there’ll be an "arm" option for compilation in VS or whether it’s UWP all the way…</p>

09 December, 2016 - 8:13 am

<p>Consumers lost the&nbsp;basic functionality of&nbsp;Group Contact support for @outlook accounts when they decided to kill Windows Live Mail. I am perplexed as to why no one in the blogosphere has complained about or even mentioned the lack of Contact Groups in the Mail/People Apps; as it is a constant thorn in the side for many of my customers that are uncomfortable bouncing back and forth between website and App; for this once basic functionality.</p>
    <p>These folks simply are not tech-savvy and need the ability to email various committees and book club etc. Their choices are the overly complicated Outlook 2016 desktop app that costs money; or the horribly implemented "Lists" feature on the @outlook.com website, instead of the once very simple to use Contact Groups in Windows Live Mail.</p>
    <p>So my question is: Are you aware; with the new "People" feature coming to the taskbar in the "Creators Update", if we will finally gain this basic functionality back into our Windows workflow?</p>
    <p>&nbsp;</p>
    <p>JF</p>

09 December, 2016 - 8:48 am

<p>Do you think Home Hub being software centric from Microsoft’s perspective is at the request of their OEM partners that want a platform/OS to complete in the smarthome space with? Like Windows Holographic is going to let OEMs compete in the VR/MR space, Home Hub could do the same for the home digital assistant appliance.</p>
    <p>Could this be Microsoft deciding not to enter every hardware category with an inspirational device? Unlike Apple, Microsoft doesn’t need to build all its own hardware (a task that might be getting hard for even Apple to keep up with) to showoff its software/services but can partner with OEMs do so.</p>
    <p>Note: I understand everyone wants the "Cortana Cube" six months ago, but this is a question on the bigger&nbsp;strategy to market view versus&nbsp;speed to market component.&nbsp;</p>
    <p>&nbsp;</p>

09 December, 2016 - 8:49 am

<p>With Windows going to ARM, what are your thoughts on a future Surface Book/Pro that would have a hybrid model? &nbsp;So for example when using the Surface as a tablet or with a "non-pro" keyboard it would have the power efficiency but less processing power. &nbsp;However when docked with a "pro" keyboard which has an embedded Intel chip it could be triggered to run heavier weight programs but at lower battery life.</p>
    <p>Trying to apply a concept similar to how the Surface Book can work both with and without the Dedicated GPU. &nbsp;Seems like that would be the absolutely perfect notebook able to handle all workloads.</p>

Premium Member
    09 December, 2016 - 9:46 am

<p>Are you aware of an external GPU module that can be plugged into the Surface Dock via USB-C, so that you can get extra graphics performance when docked? I could use something like that for my Surface Pro 4.</p>

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC