Questions for 3/29?

Drop them here!

Conversation 26 comments

• slybebop

28 March, 2019 - 1:12 pm

<p>Hi Brad,</p><p><br></p><p>With the rumor of a streaming box utilizing a mix of local hardware and cloud tech for a low price, do you think Microsoft will enable current XBox One Hardware to use this mixed local/cloud tech for steaming?</p><p><br></p><p>Also, do you believe we'll see "elastic compute" similar to what Stadia announced for xCloud, because I don't get how XB One hardware is supposed to run Next gen games.</p><p><br></p><p>Thank you!</p>

• felipe.costa09

28 March, 2019 - 1:16 pm

<p>What you think that will happen with PC games on Epic Store and Steam if Microsoft drop support for Win32 apps, eventually on WCOS?</p>

• Robteaboy

28 March, 2019 - 1:19 pm

<p>My surface pro 4 m3 is starting to get long in the tooth. Any rumors on the Snapdragon 8cx? Are the rumors of a surface model with an ARM processor, preferably not a surface go.</p>

• Chris_Kez

Premium Member
      29 March, 2019 - 9:05 am

<blockquote><em><a href="#416201">In reply to Robteaboy:</a></em></blockquote><p>According to Qualcomm the 8cx will be available starting in Q3 this year, so there should be a few at CES. <em>Maybe</em> we'll see something at IFA in Berlin which is early September. Computex is in May which is probably too early.</p>

• MrPKI

28 March, 2019 - 1:37 pm

<p>Why do you think that Microsoft is not responding to inquiries on why they are offering to have phone calls with Microsoft engineers in the <span style="color: rgb(20, 23, 26);">Feedback Hub in Windows 10 when that is one of the largest scams affecting home users?</span></p>

• TheJoeFin

Premium Member
    28 March, 2019 - 2:29 pm

<p>2 questions:</p><p><br></p><p>1.) VS Code is an electron app, <strong>is Microsoft thinking about bringing a VS code editing experience fully on the web</strong> like within Github or Azure Repos? </p><p><br></p><p>2.) Web Assembly seems to be pretty incredible these days but no big companies are really pushing it. Any idea how <strong>Microsoft feels about Web Assembly?</strong> Could there be Electron + Web Assembly for legacy apps?</p>

• fredrik

31 March, 2019 - 3:24 pm

<blockquote><em><a href="#416208">In reply to TheJoeFin:</a></em></blockquote><p>Regarding the second question, have you had a look at Blazor?&nbsp;</p>

• Usman

Premium Member
      31 March, 2019 - 5:58 pm

<blockquote><em><a href="#416208">In reply to TheJoeFin:</a></em></blockquote><p>With regards to VS Code, that's potentially, but its kinda here there. VS Code started out as vs online editor for azure web apps. Where you could get a VS style editing experience in a browser for files that were deployed to Azure Web Apps. Since it was built for the web, they re-purposed it into VS Code.</p><p><br></p><p>There is the <a href="https://azure.microsoft.com/en-gb/resources/videos/azure-friday-azure-cloud-shell-editor/&quot; target="_blank">cloud shell editor</a>, which is the closest thing to in browser vs code.</p><p><br></p><p>The Monaco Editor (the base editor for vs code) is used across multiple microsoft properties. Yes it is in Azure Repos, its the editor for viewing files and reviewing commits. It's not in github, github still uses their file viewer. Monaco is also the text editor for onedrive / sharepoint text files and attachments in outlook.com. They way to know, is to press 'f1' and the Monaco menu will appear.</p><p><br></p><p>Secondly for web assembly, the .net team is working on blazor, a web assembly web framework written in razor pages. It's still an experiment and will likely progress further after .net core 3 RTM. </p><p><br></p><p>The .net/mono web assembly runtime is around 2-4 megabytes, which is huge compared to a React or tree-shaken Angular website. Overtime, yes that size can be reduced, but its still larger download size than minified javascript. </p><p><br></p><p>To that last bit, not really. Legacy desktop apps, will still need to have their view rewritten for the web and at that point, you would consider the javascript spa frameworks like Angular and React, and of course other potential web assembly web framework.</p><p><br></p><p>Can there be electron + webassembly, theoretically yes, but as mentioned before, legacy apps would still need to be written for web, so you could just write it in a javascript SPA framework instead of a pre-alpha .net webassembly framework.</p>

• felipe.costa09

28 March, 2019 - 4:00 pm

<p>Brad,</p><p><br></p><p>Do you think that Microsoft will open WCOS to more stores, just like announce for Hololens 2?</p>

• Bdsrev

28 March, 2019 - 4:48 pm

<p>Brad do you know why they didn't put a 120Hz display in the Surface Studio 2? The Surface Hub has a 120Hz display, a 120Hz panel would have taken the drawing experience to the next level</p>

• Chris_Kez

Premium Member
      29 March, 2019 - 8:58 am

<blockquote><em><a href="#416247">In reply to Bdsrev:</a></em></blockquote><p>Great question! I'm really hoping to see all Surface products incorporate 120Hz screens. ProMotion on the iPad Pro is fantastic.</p>

• willr

28 March, 2019 - 5:10 pm

<p>hi brad, microsoft is redoing all of their icons but I haven't seen the new Bing icon anywhere, are they not going to update or refresh the Bing icon?</p>

• will

Premium Member
    28 March, 2019 - 5:20 pm

<p>With the upcoming Microsoft and Steelcase event in April, could we see some updated hardware or other items as well? Maybe the updated Surface Book 2 that was talked about earlier this month with new processors? Similarly have you hard anything about an updated Microsoft Wireless Display adapter?</p>

• gregsedwards

Premium Member
    28 March, 2019 - 5:25 pm

<p>On an episode of WTT toward the end of 2018, Paul and Andrew briefly discussed Microsoft's plan to bring two new 4K webcams to market this year. One would be an updated webcam for PCs, while the other would be targeted at Xbox consoles as a replacement for Kinect. Both were supposed to support Windows Hello. You guys published an article about it:</p><p><br></p><p>https://www.thurrott.com/windows/windows-10/195799/microsoft-plans-a-new-family-of-webcams-for-2019</p><p><br></p><p>Any updates on when these might be headed out to consumers? Thanks!</p>

• Kudupa

28 March, 2019 - 5:55 pm

<p>This is a bit weird question</p><p>How much of a problem Google's Chrome OS and Chromebook will be for Microsoft and future workforce?</p><p><br></p><p>I think Chrome OS is hurting the young and new work force when they join work. This year i have seen at least 2 interns at my work place who don't know basic functionality of Windows or windows file system in general. It makes them stupid and its hard for us to train them. </p><p><br></p><p>It may be cheaper for schools but theses kids have no idea about mature applications or how to use them.</p>

• Sprtfan

29 March, 2019 - 1:10 am

<blockquote><em><a href="#416254">In reply to Kudupa:</a></em></blockquote><p>I was curious, did these interns have any college or post high school training? Chromebooks are popular in K-12 but not on campuses. </p>

• jules_wombat

29 March, 2019 - 9:02 am

<blockquote><em><a href="#416254">In reply to Kudupa:</a></em></blockquote><p>Or maybe as the new genration they expect modern computing rather than legacy, tired old Windows. That does NOT make them stupid. Time to move on, others are. </p>

• jedwards87

31 March, 2019 - 11:01 pm

<blockquote><em><a href="#416358">In reply to Jules_Wombat:</a></em></blockquote><p>When you say others you mean K-12 because outside of education ChromeOS is almost non-existent except for Google fanboys. My kids use ChromeOS at school. When I asked if they wanted a nice Chromebook they both laughed so hard they almost chocked to death.</p>

• Pulagatha

28 March, 2019 - 9:03 pm

<p>Do you think Microsoft is changing the user interface a little too much with the redesign of Edge and Windows Light using rounded corners, drops shadows, and acrylic everywhere? It's very reminiscent of Windows 7 and that doesn't seem like a good thing. I think a soft highlighted border would be better than a drop shadow, acrylic (like drop shadows) makes the user interface less legible, and rounded corners should only be used minimally. I don't know if that's a shared opinion with other users though.</p>

• redstar92

29 March, 2019 - 1:02 am

<p>Hey Brad,</p><p><br></p><p>Any updates on Microsoft 365 for consumer (will it include Xbox related stuff? or PC Game Pass type of offering?) </p><p><br></p><p>Also something that has been bugging me for the longest time is why are there apps like HBOGo, Amazon Prime Video, etc… on XBOX One but not on Windows? Do you see this changing in the future? It would seem instead of making developers create UWPs, getting some of these xbox only properties converted for PC would be the best way to get some consumer love for us Surface users 🙁 </p>

• Chris_Kez

Premium Member
      29 March, 2019 - 8:54 am

<blockquote><em><a href="#416317">In reply to redstar92:</a></em></blockquote><p>The Xbox-only media apps were frustrating way back in the Windows Phone days and continue to annoy me as a Surface user. The inability to download is the biggest pain point when relying on web-based players.</p><p>p.s. Windows Phone users may recall that there was in fact an HBO app… in Romania! It was not available in the US; it was the weirdest thing.</p>

• madthinus

Premium Member
    29 March, 2019 - 6:24 am

<p>As we get to the home strecht of 1903 development, what is you feeling towards the quality of the Windows development process. Do you think it is better than before or just more of the same?</p>

• bart

Premium Member
    29 March, 2019 - 9:17 am

<p>Hi Brad.</p><p><br></p><p>Now Apple is going cross platform with its TV apps, do you expect MS will follow suit and bring Movies &amp; TV to Roku, Samsung TV's and the likes?</p>

• bart

Premium Member
    29 March, 2019 - 9:19 am

<p> Q2:</p><p><br></p><p>I saw a tweet of you earlier this week that UWP might be on the chopping block. Will PWA be the only option from here out on with 'Edgium' coming?</p>

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC