Questions for 6/22?

Questions for the show? Drop them here!

Conversation 19 comments

• felipe.costa09

21 June, 2018 - 4:57 pm

<p>Will we see anytime soon WCOS on Insider Builds or they will release directly as a new system or update?</p>

• felipe.costa09

21 June, 2018 - 4:59 pm

<p> Any chance to see a merge with insider program and xbox? Today seems like two 2 different beta programs</p>

• KingNerdTheThird

21 June, 2018 - 5:03 pm

<p>Brad and Paul, </p><p>I recently have moved into an apartment on my own for the first time. Do you think it's worth putting any money into smart home type things? Also, how do I adult and stop myself from blowing all my money on shit I don't need? </p>

• AnOldAmigaUser

Premium Member
      22 June, 2018 - 9:10 am

<blockquote><a href="#285602"><em>In reply to KingNerdTheThird:</em></a></blockquote><p>Regarding smart home things, if you can't remove it when you move out, and if you are renting you will always move out eventually, do not think about it.</p><p>Regarding not blowing all your money on stuff you don't need…if you figure it out, tell us.</p>

• KingNerdTheThird

03 July, 2018 - 11:12 am

<blockquote><a href="#285715"><em>In reply to AnOldAmigaUser:</em></a></blockquote><p>I hear you, man. I think the hard part is figuring out what crap I don't need and what crap I don't need but can still buy since it isn't stupid. Being an adult is hard.</p>

• AnOldAmigaUser

Premium Member
          05 July, 2018 - 3:25 pm

<blockquote><a href="#288111"><em>In reply to KingNerdTheThird:</em></a></blockquote><p>I am slowly coming to the realization that it is all crap, and we need none of it. We are redoing the basement now, and have had to clean it out and go through things, and even after getting rid of much of the stuff, there is still just mountains more stuff.</p><p><br></p><p>The more things you own, the more things own you.</p>

• KingNerdTheThird

10 July, 2018 - 7:48 pm

<blockquote><a href="#288791"><em>In reply to AnOldAmigaUser:</em></a></blockquote><p>Yeah, that's what my house back home is like. Too much stuff. I think I'm going to try and avoid smart home things. They sound like a deep hole to go down.</p>

• simont

Premium Member
    21 June, 2018 - 6:46 pm

<p>Are there any specific benefits of using Microsoft To Do instead of say Todoist?</p>

• Brumfondl

Premium Member
    21 June, 2018 - 8:04 pm

<p>Brad, are you using the 4k version of the Aerial screen saver and, if so, how did you get it working with the 4k files from Apple? I keep getting an error from Windows Media Player saying that it cannot play the file.</p><p><br></p><p>Oh and my name is pronounced Broomfondle :)</p>

• Maktaba

21 June, 2018 - 10:43 pm

<p>Will the upcoming Andromeda device be able to make phone calls and send text messages?</p>

• inlocoabsentia

Premium Member
    21 June, 2018 - 10:44 pm

<p>What is the case for developing new, green-field backend services or web applications on Windows Server?</p><p><br></p><p>Now that MSFT is recommending ASP.NET Core for new projects, and now that Powershell is dedicated to getting to feature parity on Linux, I'm stumped as to what advantages Windows Server offers developers. I mean, are IIS and SMB3 really supposed to be killer feaures for developers?</p><p><br></p><p>If there is no reason to develop on Windows Server, then will that just mean that Windows Server eventually becomes "the thing you run Active Directory and Exchange on?" or "the thing we use instead of VMWare?"</p>

• Usman

Premium Member
      22 June, 2018 - 4:44 pm

<blockquote><a href="#285677"><em>In reply to inlocoabsentia:</em></a></blockquote><p>Hey, listened to the question on the show, yes there really isn't a case for developing new green field services solely for Windows Server and over time it will be that thing you run only Active Directory / Exchange on.</p><p><br></p><p>There reason for why is because :</p><ol><li>other solutions have gotten good enough and/or are cheaper. </li><li>Non Windows VMs on cloud providers are significantly cheaper than Windows VMs</li><li>The shift to Platform as a service, has abstracted away the many "server" things. When you deploy to AppEngine, Azure App Service, Heroku etc, you don't need to worry about the server side of things. Your code "just runs"</li><li>Everyone is moving to SaaS model, the need for Windows Server became less, you didn't need it to run Exchange, Dynamics and Lync anymore.</li></ol><p><br></p><p>You can still develop on a windows machine with .Net Core and Asp.Net Core, they will run on windows perfectly fine. But now you can run that same code on Linux, when you can run your code on Linux, you can containerise it, you can run it in another cloud that does not run windows, you can take advantage of cheaper VMs since they're not paying a Windows Server license fee. You're now competitive with developers of other languages, who have been able to run on Linux and who have been developing containerised applications.</p><p><br></p><p>These cross platform moves, aren't about killing Window Server, Windows Server dying naturally, it's to allow their existing C# and powershell developers, write the code they know how to write for years on other platforms.</p><p><br></p><p>I started as C# Windows phone developer, then did ASP.Net for Web, now I am a microservices developer using .Net Core, docker and kubernetes. While still being able to use the language I prefer the most. As a dev, I have not cared about the server I'm running on, only if my code can run there.</p>

• inlocoabsentia

Premium Member
        03 July, 2018 - 9:01 am

<blockquote><a href="#285787"><em>In reply to Usman:</em></a></blockquote><p>I wish I knew why Windows VMs are _so much more expensive_ compared to Linux. A physical license is only about $1,000 (not including CALs). I think that making Windows VMs more expensive has really contributed to the decline of WS as a platform of choice. Before .NET Core, it was pretty easy to justify the expense of $1,000 per server. Especially now that you don't need to pay for it to get the CLR and ASP.NET, paying $5,000 per year per virt (if you get the whole server as an instance) is hard to square.</p><p><br></p><p>Containerization doesn't let you ignore the platform underneath, though. If you have a Linux container, you need to know about Linux perms/libraries/filesystem/installation/etc. There is extra work involved making that code cross platform, and since you're never actually gonna need cross platform (I mean, who is going to go from Linux back to Windows Server?), it's better to save the complexity of x-plat when it's more than a trivial amount of effort. Things like Functions/worker roles/Heroku really do abstract the platform to the point that you can't depend on it, so in that sense, you don't need to know Linux admin. The point remains, though, that all the knowledge of Windows admin and internals a dev has built up over the years are worth less and less as time goes on.</p>

• jimchamplin

Premium Member
    22 June, 2018 - 2:42 am

<p>A little fun topic to grouse about! Why are third-party (Synaptics and especially Elantech) trackpad drivers so f#@king awful? Saying they're bad is a disservice to bad software.</p>

• jblank46

22 June, 2018 - 7:29 am

<p>I posted this in the ask Paul thread but would like to hear what Brad has to say on this topic too:</p><p><br></p><p><span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">Paul mentioned something on one of the podcasts a while back stuck with me. He said that Google, Apple and Amazon would do anything to keep Microsoft down or something to that effect. I know Microsoft is sometimes their own worst enemy but have always believed Google systematically tried to keep Microsoft down while at the same time built their platform dominance utilising Microsoft platforms. I have not seen anyone else address this topic directly so care to elaborate your thoughts more on this?</span></p>

• Jules Wombat

22 June, 2018 - 8:17 am

<p>Why are people talking about "Andromeda" device ? </p><p>is there any factual basis to all the speculation. Just like "Courier", Microsoft has announced nothing, so why should we presume that they will release anything like all the <span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">speculative chat, only for the 'fanboys' to be disspointed when it is actually delivered or cancelled. </span></p><p><br></p><p><span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">I would expect Microsoft to realise that any such mobile device would have to be running Android to have any consumer interest. </span></p>

• Cgruka

22 June, 2018 - 9:39 am

<p>When will the store version of Skype be replaced with one that actually works? If it's built with Ionic, I would never use, nor recommend, that as an application framework. It simply cannot do the core basics of a messaging application, you know… send and receive messages.</p>

• gregsedwards

Premium Member
    22 June, 2018 - 9:39 am

<p>I’ve had an Xbox issue that’s caused me more grief than I care to admit. So, I keep my XB1 (original) console in my entertainment cabinet alongside my CATV STB. I have a Kinect under the TV and I have a 3.5mm IR emitter running between the back of the Xbox and the CATV STB so they can communicate inside the cabinet. All good so far.</p><p>But because the XB1 can’t send the full command set to my <span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">CATV</span> STB (for instance, DVR and setup commands), I also have a separate IR receiver/blaster in my setup for those times that I need to use my <span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">CATV</span> remote. It’s a powered box that sits inside the cabinet and supports up to 3 inputs and 6 outputs. And it works fine with the <span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">CATV</span> remote and STB, though I try not to use it unless absolutely necessary (preferring to use the One Guide). I want the XB1 to control everything else, including turning the TV on &amp; off and controlling the sound bar volume.</p><p>My problem is that the media remote apparently can’t use the separate IR receiver receiver I’ve set up, even though I have a dedicated emitter running to the front of my XB1 console. I’ve tested the remote using the Kinect diagnostic’s IR camera mode. I can clearly see the media remote is sending flashes, and the IR receiver under the TV has a little LED that flashes when it’s receiving a signal. I’ve tested using multiple media remotes. I’ve tried different batteries. Nothing works. It’s maddening. So, for now, every time I want to watch TV, I have to open the cabinet door and sit with a line of sight to the front of my console.</p><p>What’s always puzzled me is why the Kinect, which is obviously attached to my console via a cable and will always have line of sight to the room, wasn’t designed with a built-in IR receiver for remotes.</p><p>Do you guys have any suggestions on other things I should try? Thanks!</p>

• gregsedwards

Premium Member
      26 June, 2018 - 10:34 am

<blockquote><a href="#285721"><em>In reply to gregsedwards:</em></a></blockquote><p>So, quick update with a resolution (sort of). I ended up just buying a new Xbox One S for cheap and swapping it out. I already had the Kinect adapter from another project. The media remote works fine with the new console. But now the new console no longer controls my TV or sound bar, despite removing and attempting to reconfigure them in settings. Ugh.</p><p>I find myself realizing that I don't quite understand how the console actually controls my TV and sound bar. I thought I read that it actually uses the Kinect as an IR blaster; basically, it paints the room with IR signals, which the TV and sound bar are supposed to pick up. Though if you're using HDMI, why can't it just send CEC signals instead of relying on antiquated IR technology? It's maddening…</p>

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC