Questions for 7/20?

Questions for the show? Drop them here!

Conversation 9 comments

• Ingiomar Martina

19 July, 2018 - 2:29 pm

<p>Do you have any info on Xbox Scarlett, are they all going to be traditional consoles or are we going to finally see a handheld Xbox? </p>

• lprell

19 July, 2018 - 2:42 pm

<p>What do you guys recommend for all-in-one email management service? As of now, I have a personal Outlook account that I use for all things Microsoft services, ordinary e-mailing and e-commerce. Later on, I ended up with a personal Gmail account after I finally gave up on Windows Phone and start using Android and that Gmail account is mainly used for purchasing content through all Google services. Fiinally, I have a custom domain that I want to use for more formal e-mail communication. Given that email mess I'm in, is there any good service hub that I can manage all my emails on the web and mobile app whitout the need to create a business account like Office 365 Business or GSuite? Thanks in advance.</p>

• Nfnmmj

19 July, 2018 - 3:10 pm

<p>When will we see Tablet Mode improvements? Windows 10 is sorely lacking when compared to Windows 8.X</p>

• hrlngrv

Premium Member
      19 July, 2018 - 4:48 pm

<p><a href="#293770"><em>In reply to Nfnmmj:</em></a></p><p>Tangent: given the availability of Windows 7 (and prior) work-alike Start menus available for Windows 8.x (and some still for Windows 10), is there just too little demand for 3rd party tablet mode replacements in Windows 10, or would those be much more difficult to implement than Start menu replacements?</p>

• PhilipVasta

19 July, 2018 - 3:44 pm

<p>I'm totally going to copy/paste this question that I have for Paul, but I thought it'd be interesting to get your take too, Brad.</p><p><br></p><p>*******</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>What are your thoughts on tablet mode and in general the touch capabilities of Windows these days? Does it even make sense anymore? I say this as someone who has been a huge advocate for touch and the pen input Microsoft has championed.</p><p>Like Live Tiles, the focus on touch in Windows 10 feels like a relic from the Windows 8 era, when Microsoft was desperate to modernize the platform, and more importantly, actually cared about the touch experience in Windows. The original Surface was meant to showcase the new OS, and for all its failings, Windows 8 just felt great to use on a tablet. It was polished and… yes, fast and fluid.</p><p><br></p><p>Today, the tablet UX is functional, but to me feels like a very compromised experience. Where Windows 8 had a great tablet UX that was admittedly bolted on to legacy Windows, Windows 10 feels like you're using legacy elements that may or may not be simply&nbsp; visually updated. E.g. the taskbar, File Explorer, etc. All of this combined with the inconsistency/bugginess (notifications not responding to my initial dismissal swipes, keyboard focus box randomly showing), make Windows 10 feel ill-suited to touch. At which point, I wonder why we're even doing this in the first place? It almost invalidates the point of the Surface line. I know, that's a little dramatic, but it does make me think. If Microsoft isn't going to do it right, why do it at all?</p><p><br></p><p>So even though Apple has gotten a lot of flak over their decision to keep macOS and iOS separate, in the end they seem to be doing it the sensible way by integrating the bits that make sense from each OS. Sort of goes along with your opinion on using the right tool for the job, and I'm inclined to agree.</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>Sorry for the long post, and thanks!</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>Phil</p><p><br></p>

• Jules Wombat

19 July, 2018 - 4:12 pm

<p>Hi Brad.</p><p>What do you understand Andromeda device to be?</p><p>What platform would it run?</p><p>And if it is Windows, why would Microsoft release a mobile device without an Apps eco system?</p>

• hrlngrv

Premium Member
    19 July, 2018 - 4:53 pm

<p>I realize not all tech bloggers need to cover everything changing in Windows, but it's disappointing there's been nothing here or on Petri about announced changes for the console like Peter Bright's article at Ars Technica.</p><p>MSFT has already promoted Powershell to be the default command line session for File Explorer etc. Will MSFT ever deprecate CMD and the rest of the command line legacy? Or perhaps shift it into a contained subsystem like DOSBox for 16-bit software?</p>

• Finley

Premium Member
    19 July, 2018 - 11:10 pm

<p>I'm heading to Ohio, Dayton specifically, next week for training. I am looking for any recommendations as to things to see, places to eat, beers to drink.</p><p><br></p><p>Finley </p>

• EZAB

19 July, 2018 - 11:24 pm

<p>Hi Brad,</p><p><br></p><p>Could you please show this article from Business Insider to Paul and maybe talk about it on the live show? There is not one mention of Microsoft except for a Windows 10 device which I find astonishing! (It's dated July 15th).</p><p><br></p><p>They do mention the new Snapdragon 850: "This chip will make its debut in a Samsung-made Windows 10 machine, though details of that particular computer are still yet to be revealed". They mention Facebook's Oculus Go, Google's Daydream and the HTC Vive Pro, no HoloLens, no Laptops? B.I. needs to be called out on this like Paul does with The New York Times.</p><p><br></p><p>Eric</p><p><br></p><p>"The president of $85 billion Qualcomm explains his master plan for growth, 4 months after Trump blocked its takeover by Broadcom"</p><p>http://www.businessinsider.com/qualcomm-president-cristiano-amon-interview-on-the-future-of-the-chipmaker-2018-7 </p>

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC