Questions for 8 7?

Drop them here.

Conversation 16 comments

• azbat360

06 August, 2020 - 1:17 pm

<p>What's the latest news on Lockhart? And what about pricing on Series X?</p>

• mrpki

06 August, 2020 - 1:27 pm

<p>I know you are not interested in the new Android devices from Google, but will the new Microsoft Duo support 5G? If no, won't it be DoA (dead on arrival)? How will the new XCloud controllers work with a dual screen?</p>

• mercblue281

06 August, 2020 - 1:32 pm

<p>Will the Surface Duo require a google account? Has any method of denying google access to user data been addressed? </p><p>would like to know since the device itself is intriguing but if one does not want to supply google with any data. Thanks!</p>

• sherlockholmes

Premium Member
      07 August, 2020 - 4:15 am

<blockquote><em><a href="#559394">In reply to mercblue281:</a></em></blockquote><p>I would say yes. Other then that you wouldnet be able to use the Play Store. </p>

• nishad

06 August, 2020 - 2:17 pm

<p>what happened to the Microsoft password manager? any update?</p>

• anoldamigauser

Premium Member
    06 August, 2020 - 2:28 pm

<p>Do you have any hope for Windows 10X given the recent retrenchment?</p><p>I am concerned that if it is based on Windows, it will never be simple enough to make any inroads against ChromeOS.</p>

• esben dalsgaard

06 August, 2020 - 5:03 pm

<p>Hi Brad. </p><p>Do you think it is likely that the build-in screen recorder in Power-Point will move to the Snip and sketch app on windows 10 (or that the Snip and sketch app will gain a screen recording tool). It will not be the first Office feature that moves from Office to Windows – actually, the origin of the Snip and sketch app derives from a OneNote short cut (win+shift+s) if I remember correctly.</p><p><br></p><p>I think it will be more logical to have the screen recorder in the place where you make your screen shorts than in Power Point. And the screen recorder in Power Point is universal: You can record anything on your PC and save it as a video, you don't have to make a Power Point slide show at all to use it. </p><p><br></p><p>I know Windows have Win+g which is a powerful tool, but the gaming branding + the complexity of the game bar make this tool kind of overkill for most light weight use cases (e.g. making a 10 sec clip to show a colleague how to find the right form on the intranet). </p><p><br></p><p>I also know that Microsoft delivers a screen recorder in "Microsoft Stream". But that involves going to O365 on the web and uploading the recording to an online server in the cloud. What I want is a simple "record-stop-save" functionality in Windows. </p>

• sherlockholmes

Premium Member
    06 August, 2020 - 5:18 pm

<p>Hi Brad, </p><p><br></p><p>I know you are an IPhone user. After years and many different Android phones I made the switch to an IPhone XR. I like it so far. Do you have any advice to make the switch smoothly? Thanks. </p>

• sydney2k

06 August, 2020 - 7:23 pm

<p>Hello Brad,</p><p><br></p><p>best regards on your recent birthday.</p><p><br></p><p>You have pointed out that for each of the Xbox iterations a logo could be found on the console's motherboard denoting the code word of that console- for example, a scorpion for Scorpio (One X) and a snake for Anaconda (Series X). In your opinion what could Lockhart's logo look like?</p>

• Paul Thurrott

Premium Member
      07 August, 2020 - 8:54 am

It’s a stencil drawing of actress Anne Lockhart. I hope. 🙂

• Kudupa

06 August, 2020 - 7:48 pm

<p>Hey Brad, </p><p>1) Why is even MS thinking of Tiktok? Is there any logical reasoning you can think of other than its reach and possible add-network?</p><p>2) Any idea on how much that Surface Duo might cost? and do you have one review???</p>

• rlbaker

07 August, 2020 - 3:20 am

<p>Aloha Brad, </p><p><br></p><p>do you think we will see some sort of xCloud/Cloud Gaming integration on a TV streaming-like device?</p><p>EG MiraCast, ChromeCast, etc. </p><p><br></p><p>Just needs a cellular connection (e-SIM) for access + Android or embedded Windows + the Xbox app itself.</p><p><br></p><p>If so, could *this* be the low-cost 'Xbox Series X' we've been hearing about? Something like that would move serious units…</p><p><br></p><p>Cheers!</p>

• Usman

Premium Member
    07 August, 2020 - 3:50 am

<p>Hey brad, I'm a software engineer, I tend to break things into their basic components. For example xCloud is retrieving a video stream and sending packets of button inputs to back to the host server. <span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">None of the video stream and button input tech is going through Apple's network.</span></p><p><br></p><p>They allow video streams from apps like YouTube, Netflix and Amazon, of which Apple doesn't control the nature of the content. So how is this any different from those video streaming apps. </p><p><br></p><p>I'm just puzzled why people can why blue-check-mark-verified bloggers try to defend Apple's policy on blocking this.</p><p><br></p><p>Apple runs a general purpose operating system used by over a billion people on devices that they love to brag about being 'post-pc'.</p><p><br></p><p>How can bloggers not be up at arms for an operating system used by over a billion people dictating what type of software can run on it. Why do they defend such a practice that they would be opposed to on a PC and Mac. These devices and operating systems, replace the traditional computing devices for many people. It's why people rejected the Windows Store, RT, S mode etc.</p><p><br></p><p>This just really puzzles me.</p>

• rick

07 August, 2020 - 7:05 am

<p>I'm waiting till the 4Q of this year to get a new laptop. I know the new AMD chips are giving Intel a run for their money, but do you think these machines will have thunderbolt 4 and other features that the intel versions will have?</p><p><br></p><p>Any new laptops in particular you are looking forward to?</p>

• wbaggerly

Premium Member
    07 August, 2020 - 8:31 am

<p><em>(You can call me Wes for simplicity sake.)</em></p><p><br></p><p>Hey Brad, I hope you had a nice birthday week. </p><p><br></p><p>Is there any news regarding a fall hardware event on the Surface side? Specifically I'm wondering about a Studio refresh and perhaps a standalone monitor.</p><p><br></p><p>And what about the Surface Hub 2 and Camera? Is there any new information on those two products?</p><p><br></p><p>Thanks for the daily reporting and humor. </p><p><br></p><p>Cheers,</p><p>Wes</p>

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC