Questions for 9/1?

Drop them here!

Conversation 18 comments

• ponsaelius

31 August, 2017 - 5:33 pm

<p>Microsoft made noises about mobile devices for enterprise. Doesn't this weeks' news from NYPD just show that abandoning Windowsphone means that business doesn't trust Microsoft on mobile? Shouldn't Microsoft just stop rebooting their mobile ambitions and play to their strengths in the cloud?</p>

• mmcpher

Premium Member
    31 August, 2017 - 6:04 pm

<p>Doesn't Microsoft's post-mobile fallback plan of making their apps and services the go-to choice for Android and iOS users make Microsoft dependent on the kindness of competitors? </p>

• hrlngrv

Premium Member
      01 September, 2017 - 12:43 am

<p><a href="#171155"><em>In reply to mmcpher:</em></a></p><p>You mean Google and Apple might do to MSFT what MSFT did to Lotus Development Corp and WordPerfect Corp a few decades ago? Doesn't MSFT have karma insurance?</p>

• Kryptryx

Premium Member
    31 August, 2017 - 6:12 pm

<p>Cortana and Alexa. Will we see more co-operation between Microsoft and Amazon? Amazon understands the consumer, Microsoft understands business. Amazon is afraid of its dependence on Google. Microsoft is not afraid of Google, but they just don't understand the appeal. They overlap on cloud, but its a big sky, and together, Microsoft and Amazon cooperating would be a significant force.</p><p><br></p>

• Jaxidian

01 September, 2017 - 9:47 am

<blockquote><a href="#171159"><em>In reply to Kryptryx:</em></a></blockquote><p>What else could Microsoft and Amazon cooperate on? Amazon is staunchly about the Amazon Ecosystem. This means AWS, Amazon Prime (and all of these services), Kindle devices (which use an Amazon fork of Android &amp; the Amazon Store), etc. The far majority of these things are direct competition to Microsoft.</p><p><br></p><p>There's really no way that AWS and Azure are going to be anything but direct competition. None of the Amazon technology is compatible with Microsoft technology. Either one adapting to the other is essentially throwing in the towel on their own ecosystem. I just don't understand how this could be possible.</p><p><br></p><p>Happy to hear thoughts if I'm wrong and there are good/obvious options for cooperation here aside from "Yeah, let's integrate a couple services together".</p>

• Jules Wombat

01 September, 2017 - 1:16 pm

<blockquote><a href="#171301"><em>In reply to Jaxidian:</em></a></blockquote><p>Alexa search is powered by Microsoft Bing is it not ? (Just like Siri) So its good for Microsoft because the future battles are in the who owns the AI (backend) </p>

• Rob7

31 August, 2017 - 7:53 pm

<p>The "cloud" is In right now…. and making lots of money. What happens when the cloud market is saturated. There will always be a need for computers and phones ?</p>

• EZAB

31 August, 2017 - 9:30 pm

<p>Hi Brad, You just purchased a new video card, right? I just purchased a new EVGA-1050 4GB card also for 2 Monitors, (not much gaming). And then I saw this story: "Nvidia and AMD are deluged with orders for PC graphics cards"</p><p><a href="http://www.marketwatch.com/amp/story/guid/2EBE9B76-8835-11E7-BE2B-E61E532BE66C&quot; target="_blank">http://www.marketwatch.com/amp/story/guid/2EBE9B76-8835-11E7-BE2B-E61E532BE66C</a></p><p><br></p><p>Can you make some sense out of this? I'm confused! Bitcoin and Ethereum miners use the hardware to earn, find and verify transactions at an accelerated rate. Would you be investing in AMD or Nvidia based on this? Please explain. Thanks!</p>

• Jhambi

31 August, 2017 - 11:15 pm

<p>how long until my lumia 920 becomes a collectors item ?</p>

• madthinus

Premium Member
    01 September, 2017 - 4:11 am

<p>Do you feel that there is a cohesive plan / vision for Windows 10 development? It sometimes feel very disjointed. </p>

• Simard57

01 September, 2017 - 7:21 am

<p>Will Visual Studio be brought into the Windows Store? Will any development tools be brought into the Windows Store?</p><p><br></p>

• Simard57

01 September, 2017 - 9:09 am

<p>Outlook Beta question</p><p>when I reply to a message in an ongoing thread – "Send" does not appear until I click the expand button (arrow going from low left to upper right). Is there an option to display "Send" without having to expand? makes no sense how the gui presents itself right now. [update – I learned I can use Alt-S to send so not critical but muscle memory has to be retrained]</p><p><br></p><p>I am using default options and do not see any way to configure replying to messages</p><p><br></p>

• Tourniquet

01 September, 2017 - 9:50 am

<p>Hey Brad :)</p><p><br></p><p>Is there any chance you can ask they skype team if they will ever enable using an USB headset in Windows 10 Mobile (using continuum)?</p><p><br></p><p> As it is right now, the headset will be used for other apps (like voice recorder) but not skype :(</p><p><br></p><p><br></p>

• Detective Polarphant

01 September, 2017 - 10:23 am

<p>Do you think there will be a brand new Surface device launched this year – as well as device refreshes ? They usually have something new towards the end of the year…</p>

• Breaker119

Premium Member
    01 September, 2017 - 10:36 am

<p>How much longer do we think the current Mobile Phone paradigm will continue? I know and read of people all the time switching back to "dumb" devices…</p>

• Jules Wombat

01 September, 2017 - 1:15 pm

<p>Why is Microsoft still releasing Windows 10 Mobile Insider Builds ? What market, expectation do they think there is market for in Windows 10 Mobile ?</p>

• John Scott

02 September, 2017 - 6:56 am

<p>Can Microsoft keep up the enthusiasm for a OS that retains the same numbering over time. For myself they have kind of beaten Creator stuff to death already. I read someone ask in a Windows forum when Windows 11 was coming out? Also have to agree Windows mobile is unofficially dead. I think the Microsoft Store has like two for sale. Can we just get back to the desktop focus now. </p>

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC