This Is the Pixel 3 XL in All White

Posted on July 30, 2018 by Mehedi Hassan in Android, Google, Hardware, Mobile with 12 Comments

We have previously seen Google’s upcoming Pixel 3 device in black. The device isn’t far from being publicly released, and new pictures of the device’s all-white version have been leaked recently.

XDA leaker posted some pictures of a Pixel 3 XL device, showing off the device in all its glory. The prototype was apparently remotely erased by Google, likely because of unauthorized physical access to the hardware, so we aren’t able to get a look at the software of the device. Either way, the pictures do show off some major changes here.

With the Pixel 3, Google is ditching the famous two-tone black-and-white “panda” color scheme for the device. The panda color scheme did give the Pixel 2 a lot of personality, so it’s weird to see Google removing the popular color scheme, making the all-white Pixel 3 XL look bland at best. The back of the device reportedly still features the same two-tone glossy (top) and matte (bottom) glass panel. Google also seems to have stuck with the single-camera setup, unlike most other smartphone makers in the industry.

More importantly, though: let’s talk about the notch. It’s kind of big when you compare it to other devices like the OnePlus 6, Essential Phone, or even the iPhone X. The notch on the Pixel 3 XL is bigger than most phones out there, so it will be interesting to see whether that has any impact on the usage experience. I personally use an iPhone X and the notch never gets in the way, though the bigger size of the Pixel 3 XL’s notch could offer a different experience. According to the leaker, the notch on the Pixel 3 XL is the size of 2 status bars. Yikes.

Tagged with , ,

Join the discussion!


Don't have a login but want to join the conversation? Become a Thurrott Premium or Basic User to participate

Comments (12)

12 responses to “This Is the Pixel 3 XL in All White”

  1. jimchamplin

    That notch is kinda like the... big and tall version while the iPhone notch is more the petites size.

  2. ReformedCtrlZ

    Getting the right size on a notch is an art. Too wide and what's the point (iPhone X IMO), too tall and you run the same risk. I have an Essential PH-1, and while I like how thin the notch is, I could stand for it to be a little shorter. This notch look really bad to me, especially given the fact that the chin is still insanely huge.

    From what I've seen the back of the device is one piece, so I can understand why they may not do the two-tone this year. I do hope that the matte texture on the bottom 2/3 is more grippy than I've seen on most glass phones.

  3. F4IL

    Including Nexus, this looks like their worst - most regressive design effort to date imho.

  4. UbelhorJ

    I generally don't mind the notch craze, but what's the point here? It's so narrow and tall that it's going to either cut significantly into the image on the screen or be filled in with a ton of wasted space. ...and all that with a still good sized bottom bezel.

    The front sensors probably do some fancy gimmick for 1% of the time people use the phone and be in the way for the other 99%.

  5. AnthonyE1778

    My god that is ugly. The notch is way too big (shouldn't exist at all... but that's a dead horse at this point I guess), and having a notch at the top should obviate the need for a bezel at the bottom, but there it is, sticking out like the sore ugly thumb it is. Just one disaster after another from Google with their phones. Very disappointing. Hopefully the software will make up for the garishness and inherently flawed nature of the design.

  6. Chris_Kez

    The Pixel 3 XL in mostly white ;)

  7. HellcatM

    "According to the leaker, the notch on the Pixel 3 XL is the size of 2 status bars"

    Maybe this is so, so people can make their status fonts bigger if they want. I know without my glasses I can't read the status icons, so making them larger would be helpful.

  8. Jorge Garcia

    The notch is so tall because it has to include the camera, sensors, AND the larg-ish stereo speaker grille. Since you can probably black out the side areas in the settings and make the phone look somewhat traditional/symmetrical, I'm perfectly fine with it.

  9. irfaanwahid

    I think the Notch is the new normal. Though I personally find it embarrassing when big names like Google go out and copy the design element, in this case the notch from iPhone X.

    What I don't understand why suddenly there is a requirement in most phones to include a notch? That too right after iPhone X release every other vendor's phones got this hardware requirement.

    Not that I have any issue with a notch, since I own an iPhone X as well.

    But c'mon phone makers, you can do better..

Leave a Reply