It won’t ship until 2020, but Lenovo has offered a quick preview of what it’s calling the world’s first foldable PC.
“We’re unveiling a preview and demo of the world’s first foldable PC,” the Lenovo announcement notes. “Made for highly-mobile, tech-savvy professionals who demand the best tools, the new foldable PC joins the premium ThinkPad X1 family, promising that the unprecedented portability will in no way compromise productivity and reliability. This is not a phone, tablet, or familiar hybrid; this is a full-fledged laptop with a foldable screen.”
Given the timing, there are a lot of unknowns right now: The name, pricing, and much more are all to be determined at a later date. But Lenovo did supply me with the following details:
- Lenovo sees the device as a primary PC that can replace your laptop.
- The product is intended for road warriors and business executives that are highly mobile, as well as tech enthusiasts.
- The device will be part of the ThinkPad X1 Family; a product name will come at later.
- It will ship to market in next year (2020).
- Lenovo has been developing the system for three years to date.
- Lenovo is launching the technology as part of the ThinkPad brand because it transcends market segments and it is known as a high-quality reliable brand.
- Lenovo thinks you’ll fold and unfold this device more frequently so it is doubling the hinge cycles that it tests on laptops.
- This is a ThinkPad and it must pass Lenovo’s rigorous quality specs and testing.
- We use a torque hinge that allows the screen to bend and hold into a variety of angles (like a notebook).
- There is no pricing to share at this point.
- This will be a Windows-based device. (No more detail than that on the operating system.)
- The compute is Intel technology. (No more detail can be shared on CPU type.)
- The foldable screen is made by LG Display (LGD).
- It is a folding OLED, 2K display, 4:3 ratio, 13.3” full screen, and 9.6” in half screen.
- There is an IR camera and 2 USB C ports.
- Stereo Speakers
- Wacom Pen
- Bluetooth Keyboard
- All day battery
Tagged with Lenovo